YOLO SOLO - Anthem, October 13, 2018 Bermuda

ellcee

Last day in Bermuda. Took the #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach, rented a lounger and an umbrella for $33. Stayed for a few hours. I had all intentions of taking a walk but the air conditioned buses looked lovely so I hopped on. I now have an extra token for the bus. The Bermudan islands are perfection. Everyone is so friendly and a few remembered me from the troubles yesterday with a couple of jokes. I already would love to come back someday.

Chef’s Table tonight, they left a message as my invite. Definitely looking forward. 

Realized I hadn’t paid grats upfront so visited guest services and paid by bar, salon and gratuity bill. 

Chef’s Table.

sigh. 

It was amazing. Remember (or not) I said Chops was the best meal. No. No. No. 

Chef’s Table was the perfect ratio of excellent food, people, and service. Only 7/14 showed. The 7 who showed were fun and open. This will be one of my favorite memories. The service was superb. The food was above expectations. The people made it a 10/10 experience. Put it all together and it was ? worth the extra cost. 

Yesterday 19.5k steps. Not as much as I thought. Walked track a little.

Anthem vs Harmony track and gym. Harmony wins. Harmony has a dedicated track. The only people you see are staff and fellow runners/walkers. Anthem’s track has a ton a sun chairs you have to run between. Not for me.  Gym is smaller too but good. Used elliptical this morning. 

Woke up, no hangover. Not really sure how that happened with the amount of wine at Chef’s Table. Lots of water. 

Raining here on the last sea day. Walked the track until it was too much. I don’t even mind the rain today, while I’m not hungover I am slow today. Absolutely no idea how I’m spending today. All good.

Home. Debarkation was ridiculously simple and quick, I did the first round of self assist. It maybe took 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately the machines were down and a ton of us had to wait an hour outside waiting to pay for our ticket at Cape Liberty. If you had cash you were fine but I used my cash to settle up since I didn't really buy anything (not a shopper). An hour later they let us go. It was about 44 degrees and standing still for an hour was interesting, I was FINE until it seemed they were gonna skip me and I MIGHT have sounded a tad desperate. An hour and a half home. No real complaints since it's still rush hour in NYC.

Extra thoughts: Loved my room, it served it's purpose. Two weird things that were just annoyances , one was the TV - very awkwardly placed. In order to watch you needed to sit on the edge of the bed. It wasn't a big deal, I only really watched to get ready. The second thing, while the shower was a better set up that Harmony the shower head always aimed for the door no matter how you tried to fix it so water would run out. My attendant was KOKO - very nice. Every time he saw me he screamed and laughed, I wasn't sure what to do with that but he got a good tip for making me need nothing all week.

Specialty dining; for me, worth it. I really love food and enjoyed the different restaurants. Chops and Chef's Table were my favorites with Izumi for honorable mention since I went 2x. Jamie's was good but I wasn't wowed. I visited Windjammer and Cafe 270 for breakfasts, lunches and second lunches. 270 for the win for views. I spent a lot of time there when it was too cold to go outside reading and just looking at the water. I skipped Wonderland because it seemed more of an experience I wouldn't want to do alone. Service everywhere was top notch, I was impressed.

Again, I made a bunch of reservations for shows then went to NONE OF THEM. I love a good show so I'm not sure why I never seemed to want to go. We skipped all the shows on the big group cruise too.

Voom Surf and Stream - great until last night and morning. I've read this before and expected this as well. I enjoyed watching Netflix before bed, waste of money or not.

I was left alone which worked for me. I enjoy meeting new people but also enjoy being by myself. I spent the first day in Bermuda on a 5 hour tour with good people. The Chef's Table bunch - so much fun. Had drinks with @JLMoran and his wife. Sorry @Broons77 we didn't get to meet up!!! It was a good amount of people vs me time. People seemed to be shocked I was solo, I was prepared from what I had read here that people would ask, a lot, and they did. Most women had the same exact response - that they had wished they went solo once in their life.

Bermuda was perfect. I'd definitely take this exact cruise again. I liked the ship. No complaints, it was easy to get around and the crowds were never too bad. Considering the sea days were colder that's a good thing. Not sure when I'll be cruising again, hoping the 2020 group cruise is doable. Next year I have my land trip for Italy so imma try and be responsible and book nothing else til 2020.

Last thing - I sort of wish I got the drink package. I had the refreshment package which was great for coffee and water for me but I found myself thinking WAY too much about cost. I say I'm not a big drinker, and I'm not usually but on a cruise I like to drink more. One Old Fashioned with 18% grats came to $16.36. I think unless I'm going on more than 7 days a drink package would be the way to go. They did offer the 10 drink package but it was the day I had Chef's Table so I didn't think I'd get use out of it.  (I still should have gotten that for peace of mind).

Welcome home!  I loved following you on this Solo journey.  I would have no problem going alone either.  I'm very much like you, I like people when I want them around, when I don't leave me alone! LOL. Glad you hooked up with @JLMoran and his wife, looking forward to his take on this trip too!  Great Blog Ellcee!! 

6 hours ago, ellcee said:

Had drinks with @JLMoran and his wife. Sorry @Broons77 we didn't get to meet up!!! It was a good amount of people vs me time.

So sorry I missed you guys as well. Our first cruise + a bunch of family along = shortage of time for just about everything.  Perhaps another time...  So glad you had a great time, we had a spectacular time as well.  And as I mentioned, our CT experience was one for the books.  Will be sending you and @JLMoran a message in a bit.  It's something ?

Managed to get a few shots in. Didn't have a whole lot of time to take pictures on my tour and have a very hard time not being in the moment  - so I forget to take pictures most of the time. The first is The Port Royal Golf Club. The middle is up top from the road  looking down Horseshoe Bay.The last two are Horseshoe Bay. As you can tell I need more practice with the camera.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

• 3 weeks later...