Stateroom power using sea pass

Stuman

Hi everyone,

Just a question about using your sea pass to keep the power on in your stateroom. What is the consensus whether to leave the power on or remove the sea pass when leaving the stateroom? I'm not sure what to do. This is my first cruise with Royal.

Thanks for any advise.

Stuart

On the Harmony last week my cabin attendant actually put a dummy card in the Sea Pass holder and left it there the whole cruise.  On an interior cabin you can turn the A/C to way warm and it's still cool if you leave the card in.

Can someone explain this to me? Where would you leave your card to leave the AC on? I am really good about turning lights tv etc off when not in use but AC to my wife and I are very important. We are always on the hotter side of the coin lol.  so any help is appreciated.

Ditto what ReyRod said. I don't understand the OP's question. Does the power go off in the stateroom when all the people leave? If two people enter and only one leaves, does the power stay or go? Do I need to reset my tabletop alarm clock every time I come back to the room? I don't get it.

1 minute ago, Keeves said:

Ditto what ReyRod said. I don't understand the OP's question. Does the power go off in the stateroom when all the people leave? If two people enter and only one leaves, does the power stay or go? Do I need to reset my tabletop alarm clock every time I come back to the room? I don't get it.

I am under the impression that it is a master switch for the A/C and lighting.  Not all the power in the room.

Yes.  There is a master switch that controls the lighting inside the room and the AC (and probably electrical outlets too although I do not know this for a fact...never tested them).  If there is nothing in that slot, the circuit is "open" and none of the lights or AC will work.  If something is inserted in the slot, the circuit is "closed" and the lights and the AC work.  This is a fairly new design feature in the newest ships.  Hotels is Europe and Asia have been using this kind of design for years.

Just now, RatedPG said:

What about gift cards and grocery loyalty cards?

From what I've seen if it 's the size of a seapass card, which is your basic CC size, it works.  I'm sure there is just a detector at the bottom of the slot looking for anything that is there.  

I read where someone cut one out of a piece of heavy stock paper and it worked.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan said:

From what I've seen if it 's the size of a seapass card, which is your basic CC size, it works.  I'm sure there is just a detector at the bottom of the slot looking for anything that is there.  

I read where someone cut one out of a piece of heavy stock paper and it worked.

Perfect!  Thanks again.

Interesting... So the way the designers intend it to work, is that when you enter the room, you remove the card from the door and put it in this slot to enable the lights and air,. And when you leave, you take the card with you, which disables the lights and air. (And in actual practice, it seems to be a mechanical switch rather than an electronic card reader, which is how it is so easily overridden.)

What'll they think of next?

On 10/12/2018 at 4:58 PM, 4ensic said:

On the Harmony last week my cabin attendant actually put a dummy card in the Sea Pass holder and left it there the whole cruise.  On an interior cabin you can turn the A/C to way warm and it's still cool if you leave the card in.

I was on the Anthem late last month and we had the same thing. 

I haven't been on the newer ships...but I don't ever recall having to do this on my dozen cruises so far......sea pass cards were never put into anything once in the room..we throw them on the counter....

I know that many all inclusive resorts south work that way from my travels...but never on a cruise ship for me so far.

Just assuming that when we head out on the Ovation since she is a sister ship we will find the same setup.  From prior cruises we have an old card with a magnet.  It is nice to be able to keep that on or near the door for quick access.  Will that be something we can use?  Since it is easy to forget during packing, just wondering if it is even worth the effort.  

AF5E8C7B-8238-4BF1-B9CD-B0DA098AFBA7.jpeg

21 minutes ago, ScooterScott22 said:

Just assuming that when we head out on the Ovation since she is a sister ship we will find the same setup.  From prior cruises we have an old card with a magnet.  It is nice to be able to keep that on or near the door for quick access.  Will that be something we can use?  Since it is easy to forget during packing, just wondering if it is even worth the effort.  

I just pull my hotel key card out slightly and leave it propped in the slot but not inserted all the way when I leave.  I usually have an old set sail pass or hotel key card in my backpack from a previous trip.  When I return I just push it down all the way.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I just pull my hotel key card out slightly and leave it propped in the slot but not inserted all the way when I leave.  I usually have an old set sail pass or hotel key card in my backpack from a previous trip.  When I return I just push it down all the way.

Does this apply to Adventure? @twangster

10 hours ago, Nicolas LaBarre said:

Does this apply to Adventure? @twangster

9 hours ago, twangster said:

The new cabins on deck 12 might have this feature but it was not retrofitted into existing cabins. 

I stayed in a 'new' cabin that was added to Liberty and it had a cabin power slot.  

The new cabins on Mariner on Deck 11 also had the power slot.

We had this kind of light switch in our interior room on the Liberty of the Seas. There were two paper card stock cards in the slot. One said Do Not Disturb and the other card said Clean Room. They were to be used to put in the card slot on the outside of the cabin door. So a business card will work just fine. Make sure it is seated all the way in.

• 1 month later...