Power strips....are they allowed?

Bakerette

The sensitivity points seems to be circuit breakers on power strips (in addition to other prohibited items of course), though on RCI's list of prohibited items you'll find that on this topic they really only mention extension cords.  Further, enforcement is often inconsistent which can make things confusing.

USB power hubs can be helpful as many devices now charge via USB anyway (almost everything I travel with does).  There are also 3-way plugs (if there is room on the vanity), EU power adapters (many devices now are dual power anyway), and the option of plugging USB devices into your laptop (if traveling with one).

You can find more information on this (including why cruise lines are funny about this) here: https://www.cruisehabit.com/power-strips-why-theyre-not-allowed-ships-and-how-safely-gain-some-extra-outlets

Simple extensions are also banned.  I've managed to get some on board most cruises (but not all). 

My European power adapter was questioned in San Juan and almost confiscated.  (Yes Billy, I bought it at cruisehabit.com).  When they asked if I was from Europe I said "Yes!" so I was able to keep it.  

We use CPAP machines and I prefer my own extension chords (not power strips) over their 25 foot long industrial extension chords. Never had a problem until the last cruise on the Liberty of the Seas when suddenly I had to go to the "Naughty Room" where I was duly chastised and had my extension chord confiscated. Irritating.

37 minutes ago, Balsam said:
1 hour ago, kontraxed said:

We use CPAP machines and I prefer my own extension chords (not power strips) over their 25 foot long industrial extension chords. Never had a problem until the last cruise on the Liberty of the Seas when suddenly I had to go to the "Naughty Room" where I was duly chastised and had my extension chord confiscated. Irritating.

So you find the cruise line prioritising the safety of passengers and the ship "irritating"?

Are you suggesting the extension cord provided by the ship was not capable of doing the job?

Really... you think the ship was just trying to single you out, and make your cruise unenjoyable, simply because you had an extension cord that you knew was not permitted in the first place?

Grow up.

Woooooooooo..... pull back on those Lee Press-On Nails!  No need to be so rough. Kontraxed just shared his/her experience and opinion.

2 hours ago, kontraxed said:

F.Y.I.  I read and notified RCCL of CPAP requirement, received acknowledgement that they will have a gallon of distilled water, and extension cord in the Jr. Suite when we arrive.  I don't have to pack a cord.  :)  I found RCCL to be very helpful but I'm one of those people that always sees or looks for, a silver lining.

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Can someone post a link or pic of a USB hub that has been allowed on board recently?  Or are they all allowed?  With the girls getting older, we might need one on Indy since we are all crowding into an ocean view cabin....

I use an Anker 6 port that has a detachable power cord. I can't find it right now or I'd post a picture. 

#Balsam - talk about someone being irritating! Let me clarify. I always request and receive the distilled water with no problem. Yes, RCL will provide a very long extension chord which I find to be a trip hazard at night. What I found particularly irritating is the inconsistency with which RCL enforces rules. They say no power strips, I have openly brought extension chords and suddenly that's a no-go. Hopefully, this will become a non-issue. I think I read that the Symphony of the Seas has outlets on both sides of the bed by the night stands, in which case, we won't need any extension chords. Thank-you for your valuable and polite input.

Hi,

This is the USB hub we took on Liberty in April.  When i went through security, the agent that inspected my bag took it out and looked at it, but let me keep it.  She said that the policy may be changing where they do not allow them in the future, but she was not specific as to when.

Anker 60W 10-Port USB Wall Charger, PowerPort 10 for iPhone Xs/XS Max/XR/ X/ 8/7/ 6s/ Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2/ Mini, Galaxy S7/ S6/ Edge/Plus, Note 5/4, LG, Nexus, HTC and More

I did have something like this confiscated.  I didn't plan on using it, and had forgotten it was in my bag.  It does not have a surge suppressor in it, so I was curious as to why - the only answer she gave me was that it was against the policy.

Axis 3-Outlet Wall Adapter

8 hours ago, kontraxed said:

#Balsam - talk about someone being irritating! Let me clarify. I always request and receive the distilled water with no problem. Yes, RCL will provide a very long extension chord which I find to be a trip hazard at night. What I found particularly irritating is the inconsistency with which RCL enforces rules. They say no power strips, I have openly brought extension chords and suddenly that's a no-go. Hopefully, this will become a non-issue. I think I read that the Symphony of the Seas has outlets on both sides of the bed by the night stands, in which case, we won't need any extension chords. Thank-you for your valuable and polite input.

Extension cords are banned. Everyone in this thread knows it, and some have even posted the same statement in this thread.

You are talking about intentionally breaking rules that have been put in place for the safety of the ship and passengers. A 25 metre cord could easily have most of it's length stuffed under the bed, so would not be a trip hazard.

From someone that has worked on cruise ships and seen what untested electrical equipment (including extension cords) can do, I hope I'm never on the same sailing as people who break rules and smuggle things aboard.

13 minutes ago, Balsam said:

Extension cords are banned. Everyone in this thread knows it, and some have even posted the same statement in this thread.

I read the list of items that are banned And extension cords are on that list of banned items but power cords are not on the banned items list.

Just now, Jess said:

I read the list of items that are banned And extension cords are on that list of banned items but power cords are not on the banned items list.

Yes. Yet some people still come here and brag about how they have managed to get extension cords on board.

Blatant disregard for the rules and the safety of the ship.

1 hour ago, Balsam said:

Yes. Yet some people still come here and brag about how they have managed to get extension cords on board.

Blatant disregard for the rules and the safety of the ship.

Some people have medical equipment that requires them given the lack of outlets anywhere near the bed.  While a surge suppressor presents a clear safety hazard due to the type of electrical system on board, a simple plain extension cord does not.  No more than it does when and if the ship supplies one to you, until they run out.  

A plain cell phone charger does not represent a safety hazard yet I came close to having one confiscated because it was European and looked different.  

If Royal, or any cruise line wants to mitigate the need for them they should modernize their ships so they aren't needed first.

Plus -  a 25m extension cord?  Sure, ban anything over 4m and we're good.  

My son is hearing impaired and uses a pair of cochlear implants to hear.  The external parts have to be charged and electronically dried over night so I requested an extension cord with multiple outlets through the special needs link, just to make sure we don't run out of power options in the cabin.  Incidentally, I'm a diabetic and requested a sharps container for the cabin.  They confirmed back that both would be in our cabin prior to boarding.

On 10/12/2018 at 5:40 PM, monorailmedic said:

The sensitivity points seems to be circuit breakers on power strips (in addition to other prohibited items of course), though on RCI's list of prohibited items you'll find that on this topic they really only mention extension cords.  Further, enforcement is often inconsistent which can make things confusing.

USB power hubs can be helpful as many devices now charge via USB anyway (almost everything I travel with does).  There are also 3-way plugs (if there is room on the vanity), EU power adapters (many devices now are dual power anyway), and the option of plugging USB devices into your laptop (if traveling with one).

11 hours ago, cmsn0w said:

Hi,

This is the USB hub we took on Liberty in April.  When i went through security, the agent that inspected my bag took it out and looked at it, but let me keep it.  She said that the policy may be changing where they do not allow them in the future, but she was not specific as to when.

Anker 60W 10-Port USB Wall Charger, PowerPort 10 for iPhone Xs/XS Max/XR/ X/ 8/7/ 6s/ Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2/ Mini, Galaxy S7/ S6/ Edge/Plus, Note 5/4, LG, Nexus, HTC and More

I did have something like this confiscated.  I didn't plan on using it, and had forgotten it was in my bag.  It does not have a surge suppressor in it, so I was curious as to why - the only answer she gave me was that it was against the policy.

Axis 3-Outlet Wall Adapter

Are power strips (non surge) without a cord that is a travel power strip surge protector and is designed to be used on cruise ships and travel. Are power strips that are designed to be used at the office, travel and cruise ships allowed like the filling images of surge protectors and  power strips with outlets and USB ports??C518B074-23ED-46C8-A7AD-471982D82713.thumb.jpeg.f1ef3572c83fc5266ed2347c60e2442e.jpeg7357701E-171D-4DB6-87DB-C7D1C5887BCE.thumb.jpeg.e5a488e3f510b0dee31d1a1103ed5394.jpegE726A039-D0F3-4815-BF70-59E64EB8F0BC.thumb.jpeg.4d67929bf9ad38144369b7e472ea8655.jpeg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

While a surge suppressor presents a clear safety hazard due to the type of electrical system on board, a simple plain extension cord does not.  No more than it does when and if the ship supplies one to you, until they run out.  

Except that the ones supplied by the ship have been tested, and the one you bring on board has not.

The first time you see a fire in a cabin caused by a frayed extension cord that should not have been on the ship in the first place, you might just change your mind on deliberately breaking the rules. Do you really think these rules are put in place just to annoy passengers?

As has been made evident multiple times, if you require things for medical reasons, the ship will happily provide them for you.

Just now, Balsam said:

Except that the ones supplied by the ship have been tested, and the one you bring on board has not.

The first time you see a fire in a cabin caused by a frayed extension cord that should not have been on the ship in the first place, you might just change your mind on deliberately breaking the rules. Do you really think these rules are put in place just to annoy passengers?

As has been made evident multiple times, if you require things for medical reasons, the ship will happily provide them for you.

A brand new extension cord still with the cardboard sleeve on it is less dangerous than the identical cord supplied by the ship that has been used a thousands times.  

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

A brand new extension cord still with the cardboard sleeve on it is less dangerous than the identical cord supplied by the ship that has been used a thousands times.  

I give up.

You obviously know so much more than me, and therefore rules that apply to everyone else simply don't apply to you.

Think about it... you may buy a brand new cord to take on the ship, but the next person just grabs one out of cupboard. Do they really have time to inspect every cord in every bag, then make the determination that yours is OK, and the other person's is not?

Extension cords are banned on RCI ships. You know it. You even posted earlier in this thread that you know it.

You then brag about how you manage to smuggle banned items on board.

Must be good to be above the rules.

10 minutes ago, Balsam said:

I give up.

You obviously know so much more than me, and therefore rules that apply to everyone else simply don't apply to you.

Think about it... you may buy a brand new cord to take on the ship, but the next person just grabs one out of cupboard. Do they really have time to inspect every cord in every bag, then make the determination that yours is OK, and the other person's is not?

Extension cords are banned on RCI ships. You know it. You even posted earlier in this thread that you know it.

I saw on a YouTube videos that people were packing power strips and the ones that plug directly into the outlet was packed in their luggage and even herd on the same videos that they were allowed and then I read the list of banned items on the RC website that extension cords were banned but the list of banned items did not say that power strips were banned and not allowed on the ship. Are power strips allowed on RC cruise ships or not??

I brought a new(ish) 25ft extension cord with me on board both the Harmony and Majesty.   I made sure it was rated for my CPAP.  I DID NOT smuggle it on board.  I had it in my carry on together with my CPAP.  At security check, I told the inspector what is was for.  They let me carry it on board.

The only reason why I packed it with me was because the ran out of extension cords during my cruise on the Disney Magic.

The plan was if they let me take it onboard, good.  If they didn't, fine... I'll have them confiscate it.  I will not hold it against them.

3 minutes ago, Jess said:

Are power strips allowed on RC cruise ships or not??

I know that power strips are definitely banned.  I read somewhere that they mess up with the ship's electrical system... something about the generation of AC (alternating currect) on the ship being different from power grids on land.

Just now, RatedPG said:

I know that power strips are definitely banned.  I read somewhere that they mess up with the ship's electrical system... something about the generation of AC (alternating currect) on the ship being different from power grids on land.

I would like to know if Anker Power Strip, Anker PowerPort Cube, 3 Outlets and 3 USB Ports with Switch Control, Overload Protection, 5 ft Cable, for iPhone XS/Max/XR and More, Ultra-Compact for Travel and Office is allowed on the ship? 246CE773-3F18-4380-A406-5661610FE410.jpeg.b5bfd086ab31382639c00134c16b695f.jpegif this power strip is not allowed, can I pack a universal travel outlet adapter to plug into the European outlet in the cabin?

25 minutes ago, Balsam said:

I give up.

You lose credibility with hyperbole.  A 25m cord?   That's over 80 feet.  Smuggle?   I've never smuggled anything onto a Royal ship.  It's right there for Royal to see.  I haven't hidden it or snuck it on board.  If I tried to bring a clothes iron they would confiscate it.   

I've twice seen scary looking cords supplied by the ship.  They might have been tested once but in the hands of cabin attendants they are getting ruined.  I've seen cabin attendants pinch their cords under the bed.  

Curling irons are much more of a threat.  Yet they are allowed.  

If Royal wants to further mitigate the possibility of issues they can retrofit outlets near beds.  Instead they spend millions on projects to upgrade ships that generate revenue while choosing to ignore safety if the threat is as real as you claim.  

Why is Royal ignoring safety and in doing so creating this hazzard ?

23 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I believe the biggest problem is the lack of outlets in the room, not a length issue.

• DocLC locked this topic

Thread locked!

Please remember that we are here to provide useful information to one another. While we may not always agree and/or may interpret the rules differently because of inconsistent enforcement of said rules, please be conscientious when replying to others. It is one thing to disagree politely with another; it's another when emotions become involved. Remember, there are real people behind these posts.