Dining with allergies

Shelly214

Hi! I've been reading these boards while we are in the process of booking our first cruise. I actually have 24 people in my group and these boards have been great answering my questions while I navigate the whole process. We are 99% sure that we'll be booking the Bermuda/Perfect Day cruise on the Adventure OTS sailing 6/28/19.

Here is my question: In my immediate family (there are 6 of us) we have 1 kid with a peanut allergy, and myself and my son are both allergic to eggs and dairy, and I also have a gluten allergy. I also have a nephew coming with a shellfish allergy. How accommodating are they for allergies? Any tips that I should be aware of? Thanks!

ETA: do they offer alternative milks for the fancy coffee? 

My son is allergic to peanuts and shellfish.  I've cruised with him a couple times on Royal.  He is an adult now but that doesn't lessen the concern.

Even when I cruise alone without him it's very common for MDR wait staff to ask "Any allergies?".  They take it very seriously.  

Upon boarding I would visit the dining room and ask to speak to a chef about your allergies.  They will discuss it with you.  When you sit down for dinner mention it to the head waiter (sometimes assistant waitstaff are in training and you are better to mention it to the head waiter).  They know to listen for the keyword "allergy" and that usually means they get a chef from the kitchen to come out and talk to you.  They'll tell you what menu items are a go and no-go.  The Apple Pie is a no-go for dessert for example.  

I'm on Adventure as I write this.  I was on her in May and did a galley tour.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6297-adventure-5-nights-5518-repositioning-san-juan-to-bayonne/&do=findComment&comment=68165

Mid-way through I mention how they have distinct cooking stations to keep foods separate to avoid cross contamination.  Chicken at one, beef at another, shellfish somewhere else, etc.  Waitstaff are not allowed to enter very far into the galley to avoid them introducing cross contamination.   They are very aware of allergies and do their best to avoid issues.

I'd also call Royal and ask them to document it.  

Carry more than one epi-pen just in case, just as you should at land restaurants and on airplanes.  They can't stop other guests from eating peanuts or any other food that someone might have an allergy to.  

@Shelly214 I have a spouse the is gluten allergic and I can tell you firsthand that Royal is VERY accommodating to people with food allergens. 

First, in the Windjammer, any of the made to order items can usually be requested to be made to accommodate any specific dietary restrictions.

Second, if you are eating the any of the specialty restaurants, just make your server aware of any of your dietary restrictions. They can also help in pointing our menu items that are already free of your specific allergens or can be prepared to avoid allergens.

THIRD, AND MOST IMPORTANT, In the main dining room, your waitstaff (they will be your servers the entire cruise) will ask if there are any specific dietary needs/requests for anyone at your table. After you let them know about your need to avoid specific foods, they will also help you to select that night's menu items that are already free of allergens or others that CAN be made without allergens.

Here's where it gets good, following each night's meal, your server will present the next night's menu so that you can select items for the next night; items already free of allergens as well as items that can be made free of allergens with advanced notice.

You can also have any allergens noted on your reservation by emailing special_needs@rccl.com, with your reservation information

(https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/dining-dietary-restrictions-customer-care).

I hope this helps! Like I started with, Royal Caribbean is VERY accommodating with all your needs!