vertigo while cruising?

Mljstr

After months of waiting for the cruise to the Mediterranean on October 24, I have been struggling with vertigo for the first time in my life. I went to the doctor yesterday and I have a treatment scheduled for next week which hopefully will be successful. My questions are has anyone cruised with vertigo and how did you manage it? The doctor ordered  prescriptions of Scopolamine patch and Meclizine in case I develop nausea on the ship. I have never been seasick but I need to be prepared with the vertigo added to the mix. Question 2-the pharmacy just called and said they have not been able to get the Scopolamine patch in at least 6 months and there is no substitute. Do you have an idea of what I can use instead? Of course, I don't want to spend my cruise either sick or sleepy. Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, Mljstr said:

After months of waiting for the cruise to the Mediterranean on October 24, I have been struggling with vertigo for the first time in my life. I went to the doctor yesterday and I have a treatment scheduled for next week which hopefully will be successful. My questions are has anyone cruised with vertigo and how did you manage it? The doctor ordered  prescriptions of Scopolamine patch and Meclizine in case I develop nausea on the ship. I have never been seasick but I need to be prepared with the vertigo added to the mix. Question 2-the pharmacy just called and said they have not been able to get the Scopolamine patch in at least 6 months and there is no substitute. Do you have an idea of what I can use instead? Of course, I don't want to spend my cruise either sick or sleepy. Thanks in advance.

It's very interesting that you have been unable to fill Scopolamine in Texas as we had the same problem in New York. We scoured other pharmacies, beyond our preferred one, and managed to find one pharmacy with enough to fill our prescription...so keep searching if you haven't already! If you do end up filling the prescription, we found that we had "cotton mouth" constantly so be prepared to drink lots of water. Sorry I couldn't add anything re: vertigo. Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, Tom Cruises said:

It's very interesting that you have been unable to fill Scopolamine in Texas as we had the same problem in New York. We scoured other pharmacies, beyond our preferred one, and managed to find one pharmacy with enough to fill our prescription...so keep searching if you haven't already! If you do end up filling the prescription, we found that we had "cotton mouth" constantly so be prepared to drink lots of water. Sorry I couldn't add anything re: vertigo. Best of luck!

The pharmacist said he doesn't know why it is unavailable but none of the major pharmacies in our town have any. Neither the doctor nor the pharmacist was able to offer a substitute. There are a couple of local,not chain, pharmacies and I guess I could check with them. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

The pharmacist said he doesn't know why it is unavailable but none of the major pharmacies in our town have any. Neither the doctor nor the pharmacist was able to offer a substitute. There are a couple of local,not chain, pharmacies and I guess I could check with them. Thanks!

We had the same experience, many pharmacies said it was on a "backorder for an indefinite period..." Good luck!

First, I have had vertigo twice in my life... the first time it only lasted a week, but I was in bed the whole time and pretty much couldn't move without vomiting. The second time I had it for almost a year; pretty bad for about 2-3 weeks (although I could still function without getting sick) and the rest of the year it was somewhat mild or would come and go. I did travel to Hawaii when I had vertigo and was okay, but we weren't on a ship. I know it's a little different. Meclizine made me way too drowsy so I opted out. 

On the Scopolamine patch, I had tried to get some for a cruise last month. Same problem in California. I called several pharmacies who all said they didn't have it. But when I finally called a CVS in the neighboring town, she said it is only the generic that is backordered and they had plenty of brand name! Had to pay a lot more, but was worth it not to worry. 

3 hours ago, Myssih said:

First, I have had vertigo twice in my life... the first time it only lasted a week, but I was in bed the whole time and pretty much couldn't move without vomiting. The second time I had it for almost a year; pretty bad for about 2-3 weeks (although I could still function without getting sick) and the rest of the year it was somewhat mild or would come and go. I did travel to Hawaii when I had vertigo and was okay, but we weren't on a ship. I know it's a little different. Meclizine made me way too drowsy so I opted out. 

On the Scopolamine patch, I had tried to get some for a cruise last month. Same problem in California. I called several pharmacies who all said they didn't have it. But when I finally called a CVS in the neighboring town, she said it is only the generic that is backordered and they had plenty of brand name! Had to pay a lot more, but was worth it not to worry. 

I got a phone call from the doctor's office a while ago apologizing for my not being able to get the scopolamine patch. She said it is backordered everywhere and there is no generic or substitute.   Also my prescription drug supplier Express Scripts  said there is no generic. So I don't know what generic your pharmacist was talking about. Scopolamine is the name brand and it is definitely not available. I still plan on calling some independent pharmacies this week. Maybe I will hit on a hidden stash somewhere.