Pre-Booking Entertainment

cruiselife

We are going on our first Oasis class cruise and got to experience the wonders of booking entertainment last night. Can't wait! My question is about booking the comedy shows. Once I book one night for the comedy show it won't let me book any other nights. Is this because it is the same comedy show every night or does the system just not allow you to book more than one? I have the same question about the headliner shows, but I assume there may only be one headliner show so that would make more sense. I just find it hard to believe they would have the same comedy show every single night of the cruise. We would like to be able to go every night there is a new comedian or show, is it possible to pre-book that way?

I'll defer to someone who has actually gone to the comedy show, but I would not be surprised if it was the same comedian.  I think it's a pretty small venue and they're probably making it so more people can see "the show".

Regarding the headliner shows, I always book the first available aqua show that fits into my schedule as it is the most commonly cancelled show due to high winds.  They usually try to reschedule, but even if you miss it, you can always go to a second/third show without reservations.   The ice show is the next one you'd need reservations for. 

All of the main shows rarely fill up in my experience. I'd still get a reservation for one, but I'm not as worried about showing up 15 minutes before the show as I am with the others.

It usually is the same comedian and often the same show (except one will usually be family-friendly and the other may be for adults only) but the reason that they will not allow you to book more than 1 is because they don't allow you to book more than 1.

If you want to go to a second show you can always do that but it would be on a standby basis.  The same is true for any of the headline shows (Broadway shows) that take reservations, too.  I guess they want to make sure that everyone has a chance to see the show so they only allow you to reserve seats once.

A family friendly comedy show is often not listed in the advanced reservations because it is typically held in the main theater which has proven large enough to hold enough people based on past showings.  It is typically the last night of the cruise, or has been in the past.

Allure is an exception.  For some reason it has the family show (in the theater) bookable in advance.

With this exception,  all showings in the normal comedy venue are adult only, even the early vs. late ones, although I have seen some comedians go easier in the earlier showing because they assumed it's family.  Comedians change frequently, they fly in mid-cruise sometimes so they can change mid-cruise.  If you are Sky or Star Suite class it's quite easy to attend multiple shows.

Past cruises compasses for your ship may help:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

4 hours ago, jgiardulli said:

Can you only pre-book Entertainment onboard when you're 30 days out?  Or how soon can you book this type of stuff.

Usually by 30 days out, many things are already booked up.  Check that cruise planner way ahead of time.

3 hours ago, averbeck said:

As Matt says often on his Podcast,  it varies. It's USUALLY out there 90 days beforehand.   But not always. Keep checking back every week after 90 days out.

There is so much truth to that.  On Oasis and Quantum class ships, my bookings for entertainment have varied from as early as 169 days out to about 90 days out.  Our Harmony entertainment for March 2019 just opened up this week at 150 days out.  There is no rhyme or reason to it...

Just now, bharkin said:

I'm on Serenade in Dec. I don't see any entertainment booking options in my Cruise Planner. Is it only on certain ships?

You only need to book shows on Oasis and Quantum class ships.  Smaller ships in the fleet, it's first come first serve.  I have also heard that on Freedom class ships, you might need tickets.  But those are complimentary and you can only get them once on board.  I have not sailed Freedom class yet so I cannot verify that.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You only need to book shows on Oasis and Quantum class ships.  Smaller ships in the fleet, it's first come first serve.  I have also heard that on Freedom class ships, you might need tickets.  But those are complimentary and you can only get them once on board.  I have not sailed Freedom class yet so I cannot verify that.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I’m about 36 days out and still can’t book entertainment. I see most people saying 60-90 days over various forums. Anyone experience this?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

What ship ?  Entertainment is only bookable prior to sailing on Oasis or Quantum class ships.

On Symphony the comedy shows are held in The Attic, and the reservations for all of the shows came out about 70 days prior to sailing. I was able to book the comedy show twice.  I don't know if they were the same show - in the end they conflicted with one other show and the other conflicted with the greater desire to sleep, so I ended up canceling our reservations on the app.