Wedding on the ship

Kim W

Our good friends' daughter is getting married on The Mariner of the Seas and has questions that I'm hoping I can help her with here. The wedding planner Royal Caribbean set her up with has never been on a cruise and cannot answer all of her questions.

1. Will there be someone at embarkation who will meet with her, and her fiancé, and get her onboard with all of her wedding items? i.e. wedding dress, décor, etc...

2. Is there early boarding for her and her wedding party?

3. Will there be a place to store her items, besides her cabin?

4. We will be in the port of Nassau, Bahamas, when the ceremony takes place. Is there a place on the island that would be beautiful to take wedding pictures? 

I'm sure there are more questions that will come up but this is it so far :) Thank you for any input.

Kim

"The wedding planner Royal Caribbean set her up with has never been on a cruise and cannot answer all of her questions."   -    Wow. This statement is sad on so many levels. I would think that the wedding planner would get the answers if they don't know them. None of them sound like unreasonable questions.

6 hours ago, Kim W said:

The wedding planner Royal Caribbean set her up with has never been on a cruise and cannot answer all of her questions.

First reaction when I read this was, "Wait, what?!?"

Second reaction is to agree with @kontraxed, if the wedding planner doesn't know the answers, then his/her response should be, "I don't know but I am going to find out and get back to you ASAP." Isn't the job of a wedding planner to know the ins and outs of putting together a wedding in whatever situation the bride and groom are trying to arrange?

Third reaction is that while a wedding planner isn't obligated to be contracted with a cruise line to be able to actually plan cruise weddings and get experience in that niche, it's not out of the realm of reason to think that if the cruise line is going to contract with a wedding planner, that they would interview and choose only wedding planners who have already gained some measure of experience.

Maybe your friends' daughter should call Royal and ask for another planner who has experience with this? Weddings are stressful enough as it is without needing to worry about whether the person you've hired to manage the planning and coordination actually knows what they're doing.

Thank you for all of your input. She has been told by the person handling everything "I don't think so" when she asks questions and the answer isn't known. I think I'll inform her of the Royal Romance line that was in Matts article (not sure she has called that). The thing is my youngest daughter will be doing this same thing in about a year and a half so we're watching and seeing how this process works....so far I'm a little worried. Again thank you. 

• 3 months later...

@kim W - How's the wedding planning coming along? I'm also helping my daughter plan her Royal Wedding as soon as the Phase II Itineraries get released. We actually called and spoke to a really nice "experienced" wedding planner and asked a lot of questions prior. So please tell me everything is running smoothly.... :) 

Hello! well everything seems to be in place and I think it was a combination of the cruise planner not knowing and the bride not researching more. Now our daughter is thinking of doing a Royal weeding next year so we are paying close attention! We head down to Florida Thursday and our shipleaves Friday so I will give you the scoop when I return!

When I sailed Mariner out of Miami there was a wedding party present and waiting in the terminal.  In this case the wedding was taking place on the ship in Miami prior to departure and many wedding guests were present as day visitors to the ship, but not sailing the cruise.

The wedding party and all day guests boarded about 20-30 minutes before regular boarding commenced starting with suites and Pinnacles.  

In the waiting area I had the opportunity to speak with some of the wedding guests as they waited.  

Once they boarded I don't know how it went for them.  I boarded right after suites and Pinnacles.

This was before terminal A was completed so Mariner was using terminal G.