Cozumel with Kids - which excursion?

WannaCruise

Our March cruise on Symphony has some neat options for kids so thinking of one of the following.  

Anyone have feedback on any?  Our kids are 13 (good swimmer) and 9 (so so swimmer)

1. Beach Break at Play Mia Water Park
  2. Dolphin Encounter (2 listed but seem similar)
  3. Mayan Laser Tag with  Chankanaab Park

We are also stopping at Roatan and Costa Maya in case one of these has a recommended dolphin encounter over the other

Took my Grandson to Mr Sancho's in Cozumel, nice facility, lot of water toys for the kids, he seemed to like it anyway.

On Costa Maya, there is a water park close by but we have never been, we went to a private beach called Maya Chan.

Roatan I have heard their Dolphin swim is nice, but have never been, I would say go to Little French Key, but it recently burned and I don't know if it is back open.

Cozumel is one of those places where you don't need an RC tour.  We've been to Playa Mia 3 times all on our own.  You can grab a taxi and there are plenty of taxis back.  It is enjoyable to be there about an hour before and after the group tours as it is less crowded and you get better beach chairs. You spend so much time waiting for the group on an RC tour.  You may need a reservation online as it can sell out. My kids love Playa Mia's activities but the downside to me is the food.  The food is mediocre with a basic taco/nacho bar.  I bring my own snorkel gear for the kids and there is simple snorkeling right off the beach.  Everyone has to wear a life jacket for the inflatables.  Slides are fun and my DD loves getting her hair braided there.

Highly recommend snorkeling in Roatan.  Your so-so swimmer can wear a snorkeling vest to make it easier.

Thank you.  I've heard of Mr Sanchos...and was also looking at Paradise beach for kids.  So many options.

We're not into snorkeling but I know that's very populate.

Playa Mia sounds like a good one then.  Good to know that its easy to do on our own.  Sometimes we feel more comfortable going with Royal excursion...but i guess if we leave plenty of time then it's no issue.  I cans see what you mean about waiting for everyone on a tour.

Anyone heard of the laser tag?  Sounds fun too.

So many choices....

• 3 months later...

My 20yo son and I did XPLOR @ Playa Del Carmen. It was pricey. But because our ship skipped Grand Cayman due to fog in Tampa we decided to splurge. 13 zip lines and rafting and swimming in the cenotes was pretty cool. I had never done a zip line before this trip and really enjoyed it. The ferry from Cozumel to Play Del Carmen requires good seal legs :1_grinning:

• 4 weeks later...

If you are just going to go to a beach club and hangout.  Make sure you research between beach club and snorkel beach club.  Basically the difference is

• beach club = sand > water
  • snorkel beach club = sand > rocks > water.

Our first time(2012), our TA got us an indy excursion to Playa Uvas.  We took a cab there. It was nice but to go wade in the water you are walking over rocks to get into a wading level.  This place had some sandbags on the rocks to make it a bit less hard.  The researching I've done, the snorkel clubs are on the western side of the island closer the ports and the beach clubs are more towards the southwestern end of the island.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:25 AM, tiny260 said:

Took my Grandson to Mr Sancho's in Cozumel, nice facility, lot of water toys for the kids, he seemed to like it anyway.

On Costa Maya, there is a water park close by but we have never been, we went to a private beach called Maya Chan.

Roatan I have heard their Dolphin swim is nice, but have never been, I would say go to Little French Key, but it recently burned and I don't know if it is back open.

We have kids same age as OP and trying that waterpark in Costa Maya.  Can report back in a couple weeks.  We considered Playa Mia in Cozumel but it seems a bit young.  Trying Paradise Beach.

• 10 months later...