Adventure OTS, 13 Night Snowbird Migration Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 8, 2018

twangster

Day 14 - Port Everglades

Disembark day ?

I woke around 5am, showered and finished packing my last minute items.  Like I always do, I'm using self-assist so all my luggage is with me. 

Our progress...

Vxj7Xn7.jpg

Total cruise distance 3,211nm.  

Around 6:20am I headed down to deck 4 and was directed into the theater to join the self-assist line.

rPDsypG.jpg

Shortly after 6:30am they started letting people off.  It took a few minutes for me to reach the security kiosk to be scanned off the ship at 6:45am.  CBP was fast, just a quick check of my passport and by 6:50am I was in a cab on the way to FLL airport.

By 7:05am I had luggage checked, through security and in the Delta Skyclub.

Cruise Summary

Where did the time go?  It seems like we just boarded.  

Despite cooler temperatures to start the cruise it was all very enjoyable.  A little light rain at times but prepared with my rain coat it really didn't impact this journey.   

Every port we stopped in was unique and enjoyable.  It was a very different experience compared to a typical Bahamas or Caribbean cruise and different from an Alaska cruise as well.  I can see doing this snowbird migration again or even a round trip Canada/New England out of Bayonne.  

My interior cabin, 6535 was chosen for its location and quick access to the forward elevator lobby.  It's basically the first inside cabin forward of the elevators port side.  It was a quick trip down two decks to the outside deck four space and the helipad or a short ride in an elevator up to deck twelve.  Choosing an inside cabin saved me a shipload of money.   The forward elevators always seem less crowded on Voyager and Freedom class.

Adventure is a nice sized ship for this cruise.  All the advantages of Voyager class and recently AMPED.  I suppose a covered Solarium would have been beneficial in the cooler weather but I'm not sure I would want to trade down to a Radiance class ship to get it.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Radiance class but lacking a promenade and sports deck amenities they are a different experience.    

Sometimes when a port is skipped such as Sydney, NS, port fees and taxes are refunded for that port.  Not so on this journey.  According to the guest services manager, RCI HQ determined they undercharged taxes by mistake and therefore there would be no refund of any taxes and port fees associated with skipping Sydney for any guest on board.

Thirteen nights.  It seemed like a long cruise when I booked it but it went quickly and felt no different than a seven or eight night cruise.  Before I knew it I had that sinking feeling you get when you realize it's time to pack.

Next cruise - Later this week I fly to Barcelona to jump on the Symphony of Seas transatlantic!  This cruise was basically a practice transatlantic, North to South instead of East to West.  Symphony is one day shorter, just twelve days across the pond but absent of as many ports of call it's a longer distance.

I hope you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing.

Awesome live blog - thank you once again for sharing with us!

Quick question disembarking at Ft. Lauderdale.  Did you happen to notice what flight time the Luggage Valet service was offered to?  Our flight leaves at 1:57, so we're heading out to explore Ft Lauderdale for a few hours before heading to the airport.  Let's just say having been traveling for 13 nights we actually have more than a carry-on, and I don't want to wheel my luggage around for hours.  

2 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Awesome live blog - thank you once again for sharing with us!

Quick question disembarking at Ft. Lauderdale.  Did you happen to notice what flight time the Luggage Valet service was offered to?  Our flight leaves at 1:57, so we're heading out to explore Ft Lauderdale for a few hours before heading to the airport.  Let's just say having been traveling for 13 nights we actually have more than a carry-on, and I don't want to wheel my luggage around for hours.  

If I recall for FLL airport the earliest flight is 11am and the latest is 4pm but that varies slightly by airline.

Just now, twangster said:

If I recall for FLL airport the earliest flight is 11am and the latest is 4pm but that varies slightly by airline.

That would be so awesome...crossing my fingers for JetBlue...my luck, it'll probably be raining that day and we'll just be stuck sitting in the airport anyway.  ? Thanks!! 

I may have mentioned this before but I always try to sit on the left side of the plane when flying out of FLL airport for great views of Port Everglades  

GU5mj9C.jpg

QlCGNR7.jpg

pgKv47u.jpg

Adventure of the Seas on the left, Nieuw Amsterdam in the middle and Allure on the right.  The Carnival Conquest was also in port but not in the picture.  You can see how close Port Everglades is to FLL airport which is right above Allure.

Ek12qsY.jpg

1 minute ago, GoodSmith said:

You really plan well ahead for every tiny bit of detail of your journey!
Where are you flying, by the way? Did you upload these pictures from the plane?

You learn little things with each cruise you take and apply them the next time.

Flying through Atlanta.  I could have uploaded from the plane but I was watching a movie and knew I had 90 minutes to kill between flights.

Thank you again @twangster for another great live blog!  I always enjoy them but this one was one of the best!  Maybe because I am from Canada or maybe because I really want to sail that itinerary myself one day, who knows.  But thank you again for taking them time.  Safe travels back home and to Barcelona.  And I know you will have a great time with the whole gang on the Symphony TA!  Did I mention that I am so jealous and I want to be like @twangster ?

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Thank you again @twangster for another great live blog!  I always enjoy them but this one was one of the best!  Maybe because I am from Canada or maybe because I really want to sail that itinerary myself one day, who knows.  But thank you again for taking them time.  Safe travels back home and to Barcelona.  And I know you will have a great time with the whole gang on the Symphony TA!  Did I mention that I am so jealous and I want to be like @twangster ?

Me too.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:40 AM, twangster said:

I can see doing this snowbird migration again or even a round trip Canada/New England out of Bayonne.

See, @Matt, even @twangster is up for a 2020 CA/NE group cruise! ?

And @twangster, if it wound up being one of the ones offered on Anthem (doubtful, I think those are only done in September and October), you'd get your covered Solarium.

@twangster, thanks for yet another fantastic live blog! I realize that traveling solo does make it a smidge easier, but it's still a massive time investment to choose the pictures, edit them for sizing / cleanup and upload, and doing the actual write-ups each day. And this was basically a double-length effort, with many more ports than usual! Much appreciation for all that time taken away from slides, Kraken lava flows, live music, or whatever else you gave up of your vacation time to keep all of us junkies enthralled.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:44 PM, twangster said:

Adventure of the Seas on the left, Nieuw Amsterdam in the middle and Allure on the right.  The Carnival Conquest was also in port but not in the picture.  You can see how close Port Everglades is to FLL airport which is right above Allure.

I saw the Adventure from my balcony on the Allure and didn't make the connection that it was from the CA re positioning sailing.  I think there was one more ship in port next to the Carnival.  I just kept running the numbers in my head as to how many passengers the port was processing through that day.