Adventure OTS, 13 Night Snowbird Migration Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale Oct. 8, 2018

twangster

9 hours ago, twangster said:

11707140_AdvDay7-68.jpg.e967dd17c54abed3dfb607744b1177a6.jpg

I absolutely LOVE the gangways they have here !  Nice and SHORT.  The one they have getting on/off the ship in Baltimore is MILES long.  I hate it.  This makes so much more sense to me.

The reversing falls is very intriguing.  I knew about the Bay of Fundi's tides but I had no idea about a river that reverses its course (same causal factor, I'm thinking).  This will be a must-see on our NE/CAN cruise on Grandeur next Sept.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Back in the tent I immediately smelled the fudge. 

Okay @monctonguy  since I am in your home Province and a mere 90 minutes away from Moncton, I've had enough of your Canadian ...

1715427798_AdvDay7-64.jpg.3e9685dbc5a95c0ed1dc86db7f37322c.jpg

And keep your Moose stuff ...

1683124199_AdvDay7-65.jpg.c34d5e236134e6bd037108a6cc583582.jpg

to yourself.

??

Lol..you weren't far away at all!!!...glad you are enjoying the Canadian east coast...that restaurant at the reversing falls just opened recently....looks like they did a good job with it. Glad you got to enjoy a Moosehead..its good beer!....enjoying your blog as I am so close and familiar with these ports......

Day 8 - Bar Harbor, Maine

Arrival in port at 7am however we have to be processed by U.S. Customs and Immigration and this is a tender port.   We anchored near 7am but a letter dropped in my cabin stated to be in the MDR on deck 5 at 9am based on my deck.  Non-U.S. Citizens were instructed to go to the Imperial Lounge for processing.  Permanent residents were to go to the MDR with U.S. Citizens.

I ventured out to the Peak-a-boo bridge to see what I could see.  A first glimpse of Bar Harbor.

96OTsrT.jpg

eQ1RYqd.jpg

A look towards the town.

96OTsrT.jpg

Lots of these islands dot the waters.

hmIXqLX.jpg

nbQNKYR.jpg

xO8IWN4.jpg

I assumed some excursions where picking up from the ship but it turns out they used these excursion boats as tenders for us.

kOkx78W.jpg

Walking to the Windjammer I saw they had set up chairs as barriers in the Promenade.

nablGmn.jpg

After breakfast I went back to my cabin to get my things together and kill time until it was my time.  At 8:35am I thought I'd venture down and see what lines were like.  They were pretty short so I jumped into the queue where they scanned my SeaPass card (for attendance purposes) and then an immigration officer inspected our US passports.  It went pretty quick and they marked my SeaPass to indicate I had been processed.

With that I headed down to the tenders and walked right on one waiting for me.

YRXBam6.jpg

Very pleasant ride over to Bar Harbor that lasted maybe 10 minutes.  Our boat had an excursion guide who pointed out items of interest such as this original single mast lobster boat that would have been used back in the day.

xPKInJG.jpg

A four masted sail boat was waiting for guests. He also suggested that fall colors were beginning to peak.

sIwWZw4.jpg

aICxp2O.jpg

l5J00FN.jpg

By 9:10am I was on the pier.

byYdjQl.jpg

Bar Harbor is a quaint little town.  I didn't have any plans or an excursion so I just started walking.

01Efaj9.jpg

l8aiOp7.jpg

KjgISsx.jpg

5vW3ybO.jpg

A whale jumped onto the pier to greet me.  Just kidding.

rB0beLg.jpg

62nnjpE.jpg

3pKre5z.jpg

Continuing through town...

TbNZloT.jpg

N8DbuBv.jpg

I came across a sign for Bar Island Path so I took it.

SGEU0Qi.jpg

I noted this warning.  

2ohBHlL.jpg

omN6snV.jpg

3SYbmqa.jpg

This is the 'Bar' in Bar Harbor. A sand bar.

vbObvoe.jpg

As luck would have it we were nearing low tide.

rlE3IKa.jpg

Lot's of birds looking for a meal. 

01UeX4W.jpg

Apparently they were finding one.

0Y18Mma.jpg

sHwHMKb.jpg

sZUPHnx.jpg

Along one edge of the bar is a natural raised beach of rocks that makes for a great walking path.

mCiAjCD.jpg

UVQZXXo.jpg

Once across the bar you reach Bar Island.

o5pfL3r.jpg

Bar Island is part of the Acadia National Park.

FudsQYN.jpg

Tidal charts posted and a dire warning for anyone that thought parking on the bar would be a good idea.  Someone had a bad day.

DOf1O7U.jpg

MPCbmfm.jpg

I didn't have my park pass with me so I didn't enter the park.

Looking back towards the mainland. 

AKAGpwD.jpg

gve2n2y.jpg

caeMkbd.jpg

Walking back towards land the shore was very beautiful lined with trees displaying their fall colors in the sunshine.

agyrLlw.jpg

HsDdBl6.jpg

er1RsKQ.jpg

xFGs4kA.jpg

TH4nMSB.jpg

XFCDZgx.jpg

amyKmV4.jpg

With that complete I started back towards the harbor area.

feycH0t.jpg

oL0WBCS.jpg

Lk4Wrsk.jpg

YexMr5Y.jpg

VR3ZAPa.jpg

Fishermen at work. Beyond the boat you can see the bar and the Bar Island path.  Looks like the tide is rising.

fkmZwBj.jpg

94m6vbj.jpg

1UUPrBl.jpg

41leyjD.jpg

Here in America they didn't feel the need to point the cannons at the ship like they did in Canada.

cM9OowX.jpg

IAvwVKV.jpg

Walking through town a lot of stores had end of season clearances going on.  T-shirts and sweatshirts for $10, etc.  

Q1SR9vJ.jpg

I found an interesting store called "In the Woods" with wooded items carved from fallen trees.

E3pWCXL.jpg

A93Jl1V.jpg

suiGHox.jpg

I ended up with a salt and pepper grinder set.

We had changed time last night which meant it was noon where we had come from.  Time for a beverage and some lunch.

Leary's Landing Irish Pub seemed about right.  They had Guinness on draught.  That's always a good sign.

EBxd6zl.jpg

A Rising Tide IPA from Maine seemed appropriate.

IhEegvb.jpg

Haddock Fish and Chips.

qs89Efw.jpg

Earlier when we first arrived and set anchor the Captain had warned us that rain would move in later in the day.  It was beginning to cloud over so I decided to head back to the ship.

Remember the Bar?  And the warning about getting stranded on Bar Island?  Someone didn't read the sign.  Tide was coming in.  

kE9s3my.jpg

They aren't walking on water.  They are walking in water.

TQhEoEG.jpg

XXFaLMs.jpg

As the tender pulled out and headed towards the ship the Bar was once again almost completely submerged.

e6VcYcf.jpg

One last look towards the shore of Maine.

5ORf0fj.jpg

reBbtyj.jpg

Here are the salt and pepper grinders I have as a memento of my trip here today.

xeVv2xM.jpg

5 hours ago, GoodSmith said:

One thing I forgot to mention, you seem to do your research very well before each port while preparing this blog. It's very informative and truly feels like a free virtual shore excursion ?

LOL!!!  Have you seen his scopes???!  The man is a walking encyclopedia!  That is also where the nickname "Twangsterbot" comes from ?

@twangster I am loving these pics of the ports of call.  Even if @Matt doesn't organize a Canada/NE GC, I am pretty sure the is next on the booking list while I wait for Oasis 5.  Thanks for doing this!

On 10/15/2018 at 8:10 AM, Susie said:

By the way, your pictures are so great. If you won't mind what is the camera you use? 

I'm cruising with a new camera this trip.  It's a Sony RX100M6, the latest version in the RX100 series of cameras.

Every picture in this blog was taken by this point and shoot camera except the very first bagel picture I took with my phone.

Here is my set up:

EzNljxv.jpg

The tripod helped me take the night shots around Quebec City and it's small enough to carry in a pocket.  

As point and shoot cameras go, this is an expensive camera.  However it allows me to shoot in the RAW format and that is the biggest factor in making pictures that much better plus it has a 24-200mm zoom lens that I've really appreciated on this cruise.

I brought my "big" camera but I really wanted to test if I could blog an entire cruise with something more travel friendly and so my big camera has yet to be used on this trip, it's locked in the safe.

The saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you" but I was disappointed in my iPhone camera when I tried to use it exclusively on my last Adventure cruise in May.   This camera fits in my pocket.  

To be fair, shooting in RAW and using Lightroom makes a big difference.  It's clearly not as good as my Sony A7III but I can take it with me everywhere.  It just slips in my pocket and it isn't the albatross around my neck that my big camera turns into on a 7 or 8 mile walk around a city.

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm cruising with a new camera this trip.  It's a Sony RX100M6, the latest version in the RX100 series of cameras.

Every picture in this blog was taken by this point and shoot camera except the very first bagel picture I took with my phone.

Here is my set up:

The tripod helped me take the night shots around Quebec City and it's small enough to carry in a pocket.  

As point and shoot cameras go, this is an expensive camera.  However it allows me to shoot in the RAW format and that is the biggest factor in making pictures that much better and it has a 24-200mm zoom lens that I've really appreciated on this cruise.

I brought my "big" camera but I really wanted to test if I could blog an entire cruise with something more travel friendly and so my big camera has yet to be used on this trip, it's locked in the safe.

The saying goes "the best camera is the one you have with you" but I was disappointed in my iPhone camera when I tried to use it exclusively on my last Adventure cruise in May.   This camera fits in my pocket.  

To be fair, shooting in RAW and using Lightroom makes a big difference.  It's clearly not as good as my Sony A7III but I can take it with me everywhere.  It just slips in my pocket and it isn't the albatross around my neck that my big camera turns into on a 7 or 8 mile walk around a city.

@twangster Thank you for the info. No wonder your pictures look like a postcard. It is a little pricey but it well worth it. LOL, I still have my ancient 6 years old Nikkon and my phone(newer than my camera). Thinking to get a new camera but might be in the $500 though not a $1000. Just booked MSC Seaside for summer and plan to book a cruise for Easter so will see how much $$ I can spend. Enjoy the less of your trip.

Day 9 - Portland, Maine

I woke early and headed top side having seen the lights of a city on the horizon.

I08Tk2F.jpg

Behind us was the makings of a glorious sunrise.

3bDInRh.jpg

Looks like an old fort or something in the harbor, will have to look into that.

OajtrdG.jpg

Portland was growing larger as we approached the pier.

EeQpb4F.jpg

BA9rIj7.jpg

SIXzp7y.jpg

AMcR660.jpg

x932sgs.jpg

We began making a 180° turn.

mAiNMIw.jpg

The sun was starting to rise above some clouds on the horizon.

DIhA8QJ.jpg

Vdp3iGz.jpg

o4ZbOhW.jpg

With the city started to be bathed in sunlight I could pick out some interesting architecture.

Ad0rWNQ.jpg

h0cpiyT.jpg

ZLm5xMy.jpg

Our progress so far...

YyU10sm.jpg

Portland Maine, continued...

I worked for a few hours in the morning.  A client reached out and it never hurts to help pay off the next cruise, so...

Around 11:30am I ventured off the ship.

There is more than one cruise terminal in Portland but this one involved a decent walk from the ship to the terminal.

8oMJDoG.jpg

8gytHOw.jpg

It's a small terminal, no shops inside.  A much smaller ship was embarking today and there were some boarding crowds queuing up for it.

OnzQGRD.jpg

The grounds are very nice in the area.

RXHvjln.jpg

An old tugboat propellor with local history was on display.

RDg6NVQ.jpg

Local art included two deer placed on stilts on old posts left over from days gone by.

x0Ukdvz.jpg

0J3eKLY.jpg

Walking uphill with no particular destination in mind...

46tKzHF.jpg

What do you know, I came across a brewery.

wK0XybY.jpg

They had a tasting bar with $6 flights.

XS5OXMm.jpg

xY6bfUv.jpg

Winning numbers in today's beer lottery... 4,5,7 and 14.

ix41Ezp.jpg

Yum.

After I walked along the shore near the cruise terminal.

28q0NYU.jpg

Hallelujah!  I finally found the place where ships go to get fixed up!

JTzmD9Q.jpg

Like our previous ports Portland contains interesting architecture.

gOnlkgj.jpg

xXmiC2G.jpg

This place seemed popular.

d5nRiAG.jpg

qO1bw0H.jpg

Since I'm not that much into seafood, I jumped in a Lyft ride to the Bissell Brothers Brewery.

fPdvo8w.jpg

qXdmz3F.jpg

The Substance Ale

wxIrPEL.jpg

Followed by Nothing Gold.

AWBEm5s.jpg

s4gqJv0.jpg

Beer can art.

VxcSUrb.jpg

With that consumed it was time to head back.  An Uber ride cab to the port was $8.  Both drivers commented how business was up substantially because the cruise ships were in town.  The NCL Gem followed us into port and the combined numbers really drove business.  Both drivers said the ships were a huge boost to tourism and businesses.

I stopped at a local bakery for a bite to eat.

ojLdm51.jpg

That's the Gem in the background.

Hc8vz58.jpg

Tide was rising, the deer's legs had grown shorter.

5boDgQw.jpg

Not quire ready to re-board I walked up the shore a bit.

ru9Xoxg.jpg

There is a narrow gauge railroad museum here.

q2Stu2O.jpg

DQQB06a.jpg

Q9Vyep5.jpg

Finally it was time to head back.

XSJSuqJ.jpg

While I was near the railroad museum I saw parents dropping off their kids for something.  Sailing club.  They were practicing maneuvering by following the leader in and around the many moored boats in the marina next to the ship.

tw19zbY.jpg

NuUYUKh.jpg

Since I was in the area I dropped into the Viking Crown Lounge a few minutes before Diamond happy hour began.  They were already lining up while they continued to set up the bar.  Not a seat to be had with another hour until all aboard time.

iPnvPHv.jpg