Samana, Dominica Republic itinerary changes

Dlafarrell

So what are everyone's thoughts on RCCL dropping Samana? I see the podcast cruise on the Quantum of the Seas was impacted. I have not been to Samana but always look forward to seeing a new port of call. I am also not sure how I feel about docking in Labadee the afternoon prior to our scheduled day in there. Looks like an extra day at sea and an overnight in Labadee?? Thoughts??

So what are everyone's thoughts on RCCL dropping Samana? I see the podcast cruise on the Quantum of the Seas was impacted. I have not been to Samana but always look forward to seeing a new port of call. I am also not sure how I feel about docking in Labadee the afternoon prior to our scheduled day in there. Looks like an extra day at sea and an overnight in Labadee?? Thoughts??

They diffenently need to work on the itinerary. It now looks like a lot of crusing without going anywhere. Price and ports aren't presenting an attractive deal. For us getting to sail on a new ship isn't worth it.

Actually for the Royal Caribbean Blog group cruise, we're now staying overnight in San Juan, so an extra day (and night) there.  

I definitely wish we were still going to Samana but I'm okay with overnight in San Juan since it's always cool to be able to cruise somewhere and stay overnight in a port.  

I've never been to Samana but from what I understand the history of crime there may have contributed to Royal Caribbean's decision.  Hope someday they can come back.

When a cruise ship stays over night in a port, how does that work? Does everyone have to be back on board at a certain time at night and free to get off again the next morning?

Nope, you can come and go as you please.  It's a floating hotel.

Actually for the Royal Caribbean Blog group cruise, we're now staying overnight in San Juan, so an extra day (and night) there.  

I definitely wish we were still going to Samana but I'm okay with overnight in San Juan since it's always cool to be able to cruise somewhere and stay overnight in a port.  

That sure beats my last visit to San Juan, we docked at 3pm and stayed to 11pm - on a Sunday.  Pretty much all we did was hit the pharmacy for some meds and then dinner at Parrot Club (highly recommended!).  Beyond that, there was not much to do since it got dark so early.  But that said, we'd been there several times on previous pre- and post-cruises, so it's not like we didn't know what to expect.  

That sure beats my last visit to San Juan, we docked at 3pm and stayed to 11pm - on a Sunday.  Pretty much all we did was hit the pharmacy for some meds and then dinner at Parrot Club (highly recommended!).  Beyond that, there was not much to do since it got dark so early.  But that said, we'd been there several times on previous pre- and post-cruises, so it's not like we didn't know what to expect.  

I really think San Juan is a pretty city at night and there's lots going on.  An overnight stay means there will be plenty of time to explore.