Cancellation of Formal Nights- on less then 5 night

JoyB

39 minutes ago, JoyB said:

HI,

Can you confirm  any decision or talk of cancelling formal nights on cruises less then 5 nights. We that have booked cruises kinda need to know these things before going out and buying new clothing.

I have no reason to believe that is happening. 

So far only Mariner on the 3/4 night Bahamas cruises is implementing "Wear Your Best" night.  I'm not aware of any other ships adopting this concept, yet.  

"Wear You Best" night is simply a name.  In practice many Caribbean cruises have somewhat been doing essentially this concept but without officially stating that.  Shorts and t-shirts notwithstanding, long pants and polo shirt with a collar has typically been acceptable in the Caribbean.  Sundress, romper, smart blouse and nice pants or just about anything above excessively casual for men or women has been acceptable.  

Formal nights are hotly debated by some guests but formal attire is only a recommendation by Royal and not a requirement.  True formal wear is not required on any ship sailing any cruise length.  

6 hours ago, Orange Crush said:

I think I've got my outfit picked out for my next formal night

image.png.938a6b7ba1f1445ea9cc6000366d94cd.png

Is that some crazy onesie? Romper? lol

Anyway, I think time will tell.  It will be interesting to see what happens when Indy makes its way back to the US.  She's doing 4/5 night sailings and if we start seeing "Wear Your Best" on that too, then they might be changing something.  I have to admit though, it was nice to not have to pack dress shoes etc.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Matt has (3) 5 night cruise compasses from Empress this summer.  Two have 'Dress to Impress' formal nights, one has only casual nights, every night.  All 5 are Cuba itineraries.  

Just goes to show nothing is consistent.  

Empress did go through a few Cruise directors.  Could this be the reason?

9 minutes ago, jurrjurr said:

The more cruises we go on, the more I enjoy the buffet and the empty pool on formal nights.

It's nice not having to bring dress up clothes, trying to get rid of wrinkles, changing in and then out of them after dinner.  Cuba was hot in July.  

I'm all for "Wear Your Best".  It worked quite well on Mariner.  Some people went all out, some didn't.

We did a 6 night cruise from Southampton On Indy in August and there was only 1 formal night (night 3). The RC website indicates that there's likely to be 2 but also does say its at the ships discretion - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/formal-dress-code-guideline (it also says that there's no formal nights on any current Empress of the Seas sailings). 

I'm pretty sure that every other night the suggested dress code was just casual which also contradicts this: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do 

As a family we loved getting dressed up - formal night or not.  

13 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm all for "Wear Your Best".  It worked quite well on Mariner. 

But what would they do if someone showed up at the MDR wearing shorts, a tank top, and sandals who states "the dress for this evening is 'Wear Your Best' and THIS is the best I brought with me. I am wearing what YOU told me to wear."?

I see a potential slippery slope for OTHER nights in the MDR - not sure that shorts will be prohibited for long.

29 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

But what would they do if someone showed up at the MDR wearing shorts, a tank top, and sandals who states "the dress for this evening is 'Wear Your Best' and THIS is the best I brought with me. I am wearing what YOU told me to wear."?

I see a potential slippery slope for OTHER nights in the MDR - not sure that shorts will be prohibited for long.

That is exactly their intention.  If your best is shorts/tank, then that's what you can wear.  On Mariner, there was no "formal night".  We saw a variety of things in the MDR on Wear Your Best night, everything from shorts/tank/flip flops to fancier dresses, shirts and ties. 

57 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Shorts in the MDR are not allowed on casual nights.  "Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, blouses or sundress.  Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch"

Specialty dining has a notation "Smart casual.  No shorts"

Wear your best night has no notation about shorts so they are allowed.  

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Shorts in the MDR are not allowed on casual nights.  "Feel free to kick back in jeans, polos, blouses or sundress.  Shorts are welcome for breakfast and lunch"

So "wear your best" has lower requirements than "casual." There's the slippery slope - how long until swimsuits without a cover-up are okay?

Just now, HeWhoWaits said:

So "wear your best" has lower requirements than "casual." There's the slippery slope - how long until swimsuits without a cover-up are okay?

In my opinion the slope isn't that slippery.  Swimwear will never be allowed in the MDR.  Underwear will never be allowed either.

There is no formal night on Mariner.  It doesn't exist on that ship.    No slope involved.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

In my opinion the slope isn't that slippery.  Swimwear will never be allowed in the MDR.  Underwear will never be allowed either.

There is no formal night on Mariner.  It doesn't exist on that ship.    No slope involved.  

Comando in the MDR! Who's in? 

12 hours ago, twangster said:

You can't wear shorts in any of the specialty dining?? My s/o wears nothing but shorts, I'll have to make sure he brings pants. 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, twangster said:

It's nice not having to bring dress up clothes, trying to get rid of wrinkles, changing in and then out of them after dinner.  Cuba was hot in July.  

I'm all for "Wear Your Best".  It worked quite well on Mariner.  Some people went all out, some didn't.

Happy about this.  Didn't want to pack a sport coat. Plus traveling we with kids this time and they dress more casual. Makes it easier. Khakis and polos it is...

10/22 on Mariner of the Seas 

?

I wish they would cancel formal night altogether. We mostly ignore it anyway, but do bring dressy casual for formal night. The big issue is the cost of paying for baggage fees if you have a heavy suit and dress shoes etc. that make you go over the limit. I know they make a lot of money on photographs on formal night, so I am sure it will go on.

This is not my first time with this comment. Why doesn't RCL try to accommodate the majority of their customers? They could ask on your cruise documents if you prefer casual or formal wear on "formal" nights. Then, they could seat you on an appropriate MDR deck. So on "formal" nights, you would have one or two MDR decks with casual wear and the remaining decks for formal wear. I don't think this would be difficult.

• 6 months later...
On 10/5/2018 at 9:48 AM, twangster said:

Thank you for the information about formal night on the Mariner.  I am glad they have implemented this policy. We have never  been on this ship before, as we usually take longer cruises. There just doesn't seem to be much sense in a formal night when you're trying to do so much in a short amount of time!

I am heading out on Navigator at the end of this month and was wondering the same.  Does anyone know if Navigator's  4-night has a formal or dress to impress?  I don't want to take our formal attire if it's not needed.  Thanks!

11 hours ago, MrsFL said:

I am heading out on Navigator at the end of this month and was wondering the same.  Does anyone know if Navigator's  4-night has a formal or dress to impress?  I don't want to take our formal attire if it's not needed.  Thanks!

You will not be turned away from the dining room for coming in casual clothes on any ship on any length sailing.  Truly formal nights only exist on luxury cruise lines these days.  While it's a hot bottom topic on cruise forums, on the ships the only thing that will keep you out of the dining room is swimwear.

But, does Navigator still have a designated formal night?  I actually want to wear my gown?!?    But it sounds like either way I'd stick out like a sore thumb.  I kind of think that stinks.....I mean, the doing away with formal night.  I don't think shorts should be allowed in the MDR, I remember when you would be turned away with shorts. 

19 minutes ago, MrsFL said:

But it sounds like either way I'd stick out like a sore thumb

Definitely not. They call it something different, but it's the same difference as formal night.

In my opinion, better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Night 2 on Navigator last weekend was "dress to impress".  I had a shirt pressed, which is complimentary for suite guests on the 1st formal night of a sailing.  I was charged for it (only $3.99) so I asked at Guest Services and was told it's complimentary for formal night, not dress to impress.  

3 hours ago, yzfmik said:

Night 2 on Navigator last weekend was "dress to impress".  I had a shirt pressed, which is complimentary for suite guests on the 1st formal night of a sailing.  I was charged for it (only $3.99) so I asked at Guest Services and was told it's complimentary for formal night, not dress to impress.  

That's pretty lame. I mean, it's the same difference.