Grandeur OTS --- Drydock? Or no Drydock in 2019

There is a flurry of activity on the CC Roll Calls and Facebook Grandeur OTS Fan Page, that apparently she

has had to cancel the March 7th and March 16th Sailings due to going into Drydock.....

This rumor has been all over the place ...... yet, I have yet to receive any sort of confirmation on if it actually is happening,

and if so, why, and what is being done on her if it is, in fact, true.

IMG_3134.JPG

16 minutes ago, CruisinUngs said:

I have seen this as well. What’s interesting is also the rumors of RC shopping the ship for sale. Could it be to spruce her up for sale?

That rumor has been going around for years..... I look at it this way, all ships are for sale, if the right price is offered.

26 minutes ago, CruisinUngs said:

I have seen this as well. What’s interesting is also the rumors of RC shopping the ship for sale. Could it be to spruce her up for sale?

Those rumors all stem from this one website that "lists" ships for sale.  There's absolutely no reason to believe that site is legitimate.

I was over on CC this morning and it is now confirmed that at least 2 March 2019 sailings of Grandeur have been officially cancelled (images of the cancellation letters have been posted).  I do not recall the dates but it seems like they are in the middle of the month.  It states something about unanticipated dry dock maintenance.  Nothing more informative than that.  I will be on Grandeur 2 more times before the end of the year !  I sure hope whatever is wrong won't affect those 2 sailings.  Matter of fact, we're leaving for Baltimore tomorrow and board on Saturday....then again on Dec. 21 for a 12 night Christmas + NY cruise.

It could be they detected something that is starting to run out of tolerance but isn't an issue at the moment.  A cylinder consuming excessive oil, a bearing that is beginning to show signs of wear. 

Routine inspections are designed to catch things well before they fail and it appears they found something that is starting to become an issue but still operates normally for now. 

So many parts to a ship, but routine inspections and preventative maintenance is designed to catch things before they fail so it would seem the process is working.  Better to cancel a few cruises a few months away and fix it rather than having the ship fail next summer or beyond in the middle of the ocean.   That's exactly why they routinely do inspections.