Change of arrival Nassau. Aquaventure still possible?

Diane.M

We are traveling March 23, 2019 on Symphony.  My daughter really wants to do Atlantis Aqua adventure.. we were going to give it a try  because the original departing time was 6.  It has now changed to 4... the excursion still shows on the cruise planner but I wonder if Royal will cancel that excursion.  It is so much money for possibly under 4 hours at the resort.  

I also find the reason odd.. I am not scientific in the least but I do not understand the low water at the port of Miami...any ocean experts out there?? Do rising and lower tides effect the port.

The good news is my cruise is close enough they are emailing me!!! 

Dear Guest,

We have an itinerary update to share with you for our March 23, 2019, Symphony of the Seas cruise.

As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we’ve adjusted the time we will be in Nassau, Bahamas. We’ll now be there at 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

I had seen this posted elsewhere....never seen this before....fo them to predict this 6 mths out seems strange but I know nothing about this stuff. Someone else may know why/what is going on.

As for the excursion its hard to say..if its still there its good news but like anything it could change or be pulled at anytime....whether or not its worth it now based on a short time will be up to you I guess.

I will be interested to see what others say about this or if this has happened before....I have never heard/seen it since I started cruising in 2013......

Every so often there are super high tides and super low tides, beyond the normal high-low cycle.  

Tides are influenced by the moon and science can predict some of these things well in advance.

Miami does have a very narrow channel that ships must sail within to approach the entrance to the port.   

In this aerial view from Apple Maps you can see the channel that ships have to stay within to reach the port.  An ultra-low tide could very well make this passage exceed safety margins.  The navigation channel is the dark line through water with the arrow pointing to it.

816607180_PoMAerial.jpeg.f67cbd441eb5990faa82e450497ef7b7.jpeg

NOAA has a tidal predication webpage.  For Miami March 10 through 30:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=8723170&units=standard&bdate=20190310&edate=20190330&timezone=LST/LDT&clock=12hour&datum=MLLW&interval=hilo&action=dailychart

1603816158_MaimitidesMar2019.jpeg.ff42799e797f05f6dd72e6d37d0b10b9.jpeg

You can see a distinct change in tides forecasted beginning Mar. 18 through the 26th.   Peak high/low is around Mar 21-23.

Smaller ships with less draft can likely remain with their safety margins but the largest cruise ship in the world has to be more careful and time it's approach to occur away from low tide.

Just now, monctonguy said:

I guess it all makes sense..I just haven't heard or seen this happen before..perhaps the bigger ships are more affected too?

I think so.  Norwegian Bliss just visited Vancouver for the first time and had to time its pass under the Lions Gate bridge to occur at low tide.  Sort of opposite - it needed low tide so as not to hit the bridge because of its height, but same concept - tides matter, bridge crews pay attention to this stuff.  

8 hours ago, monctonguy said:

I had seen this posted elsewhere....never seen this before....fo them to predict this 6 mths out seems strange but I know nothing about this stuff. Someone else may know why/what is going on.

As for the excursion its hard to say..if its still there its good news but like anything it could change or be pulled at anytime....whether or not its worth it now based on a short time will be up to you I guess.

I will be interested to see what others say about this or if this has happened before....I have never heard/seen it since I started cruising in 2013......

Most likely we will not... especially with the time change.  We will cruise again with Nassau not the last stop.  I am very curious about the ocean depths 6 months in advance also.  It seemed so odd

5 hours ago, twangster said:

NOAA has a tidal predication webpage.  For Miami March 10 through 30:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaatidepredictions.html?id=8723170&units=standard&bdate=20190310&edate=20190330&timezone=LST/LDT&clock=12hour&datum=MLLW&interval=hilo&action=dailychart

1603816158_MaimitidesMar2019.jpeg.ff42799e797f05f6dd72e6d37d0b10b9.jpeg

You see on a distinct change in tides forecasted beginning Mar. 18 through the 26th.   Peak high/low is around Mar 21-23.

Smaller ships with less draft can likely remain with their safety margins but the largest cruise ship in the world has to be more careful and time it's approach to occur away from low tide.

Thank you!!  This does make sense now.  I enjoy all your posts Twangster.  I do not post often but devour the information  This will be my very first cruise
!

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Every so often there are super high tides and super low tides, beyond the normal high-low cycle.  

Tides are influenced by the moon and science can predict some of these things well in advance.

Miami does have a very narrow channel that ships must sail within to approach the entrance to the port.   

In this aerial view from Apple Maps you can see the channel that ships have to stay within to reach the port.  An ultra-low tide could very well make this passage exceed safety margins.  The navigation channel is the dark line through water with the arrow pointing to it.

816607180_PoMAerial.jpeg.f67cbd441eb5990faa82e450497ef7b7.jpeg

Very Interesting!!  I am glad they are already on it.  Keeping us safe