Royal Caribbean International: VOYAGE OF THE SLEAZE (a/k/a Voyager of the Seas) !!

This made one of the "current affairs" programs in Australia. https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/10/01/15/49/royal-caribbean-cruise-nightmare-families-horror-playboy-bunnies-wild-bender

Included passenger video of the shenanigans, and the catchy phrase "Pirates of the Royal Caribbean".

I daresay this could have been handled a little better by RCI, but this TV version of the Sun hyped the hell out of the situation. Not to mention using stock footage that implied this cruise originated from Sydney to put the frighteners on Aussie cruisers. It actually sailed out of Singapore, but why let the facts get in the way of a good story, right?

Reminds of arriving to check in for our Thanksgiving cruise on Independence a few years ago and being handed the "welcome aboard program" for the day, handed it to my wife while I finished checking us in with the agent.

Wife taps me on the shoulder part way through and is pointing at one of the paragraphs on the page while saying the full version of WTF ....

The paragraph read something like "As a reminder to our guests full nudity is only allowed on open decks and in the designated lounge areas, undergarments are required in all food service areas" .... turns out the week before was a chartered cruise for a clothing optional group and they were handing out the flyers from that cruise in error.

1 hour ago, jticarruthers said:

turns out the week before was a chartered cruise for a clothing optional group and they were handing out the flyers from that cruise in error.

How delightful for the crew working that cruise.  I can't imagine anything worse.  I wonder if the crew had an "opt out" choice for that one...

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

Reminds of arriving to check in for our Thanksgiving cruise on Independence a few years ago and being handed the "welcome aboard program" for the day, handed it to my wife while I finished checking us in with the agent.

Wife taps me on the shoulder part way through and is pointing at one of the paragraphs on the page while saying the full version of WTF ....

The paragraph read something like "As a reminder to our guests full nudity is only allowed on open decks and in the designated lounge areas, undergarments are required in all food service areas" .... turns out the week before was a chartered cruise for a clothing optional group and they were handing out the flyers from that cruise in error.

So, did you still go?

7 hours ago, Tim B. said:

So, did you still go?

Yep, charter was the week before … usual clothing standards applied for our cruise.  I would neither want to see nor be seen in a clothing optional environment … my eyes are still trying to recover from visiting the beach in Nice 10 years ago …. naked grandmothers is not something you ever need to see. 

On 10/3/2018 at 6:39 AM, jticarruthers said:

I just realized this morning that my cruise this year is the week after one of these!  Yuck!  Packing my hospital grade sanitation wipes!  I may want to carry them everywhere!

2 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I just realized this morning that my cruise this year is the week after one of these!  Yuck!  Packing my hospital grade sanitation wipes!  I may want to carry them everywhere!

There was a bit of an "ick" factor from time to time ... usually when sitting down for an event in one of the lounges and pondering what might have been on those chairs the week before ;)