When Symphony gets to Miami

Al Horner

I'm sailing on the Symphony out of Miami in May 2019, so, right now I'm looking forward to the Symphony transitioning from the Med to the Caribbean.  The reviews, the menus, the shore excursions, and everything else will mean more when it's similar to what my cruise will be. Ah well, 229 more days to go!

On 10/1/2018 at 2:36 PM, kontraxed said:

I'm sailing on the Symphony out of Miami in May 2019, so, right now I'm looking forward to the Symphony transitioning from the Med to the Caribbean.  The reviews, the menus, the shore excursions, and everything else will mean more when it's similar to what my cruise will be. Ah well, 229 more days to go!

I have 169 days til my first cruise on Symphony.  I am obsessed!!  I have been waiting for her to come to Miami 

I'm sailing on the Symphony Oct 28 from Barcelona for her Transatlantic crossing. During my preparations

i ran across her scheduled sailing for Nov 2, 2019 for the 50th Birthday cruise out of Miami which sounds very

special events etc. Wondering why RCI hasn't really promoted this one?

1 minute ago, BarbieBell said:

I'm sailing on the Symphony Oct 28 from Barcelona for her Transatlantic crossing. During my preparations

i ran across her scheduled sailing for Nov 2, 2019 for the 50th Birthday cruise out of Miami which sounds very

The birthday cruise was just announced this past week.  So maybe they will promote it more as time goes on?

38 minutes ago, BarbieBell said:

Welcome to the message boards and perhaps I'll see you on the transatlantic.  

Nov 2, 2019 is the annual President's Cruise.  The fact that it's Royal's 50th will only make that cruise more special but it's real purpose is the annual President's Cruise.  

The 2018 annual President's Cruise is occurring right now on Harmony of the Seas.  Michael Bayley, Royal's CEO supposedly let it slip that 11/2/19 on Symphony will be the 2019 President's Cruise.  He told the story in the Q&A session of his marketing department not being very happy with him for letting the date slip out a couple of days ago. 

Already rates for that cruise date have increased based on this.  Once the 2018 President's Cruise is over I suspect the marketing folks will begin to focus on the 2019 President's Cruise and we'll see more marketing of that event.

Got this notification yesterday about our Thanksgiving cruise on the Symphony 11/17/18

Dear Valued Guest, We have an itinerary update to share with you for your Symphony of the Seas cruise. As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we've adjusted the time we will be in Nassau, Bahamas. We'll now be there at 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

25 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Got this notification yesterday about our Thanksgiving cruise on the Symphony 11/17/18

Dear Valued Guest, We have an itinerary update to share with you for your Symphony of the Seas cruise. As a result of low water depths and docking issues at the port in Miami, Florida, we've adjusted the time we will be in Nassau, Bahamas. We'll now be there at 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM instead of 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM to ensure we arrive back in Miami as scheduled.

Yep.  See this thread:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9469-change-of-arrival-nassau-aquaventure-still-possible/

Port of Miami has some challenges for the big ships.  I suspect we'll see this more frequently based on tidal predictions.   

I have no problem with the adjustment but I'm curious of the reasoning.  The NOAA tide predictor shows the low tide on the 24th occurring at 3:06AM local time.  Leaving early would make it seem like arrival will be earlier and more coinciding with the low tide.  Or is it a matter of them making the journey through the channel at a slower speed thus requiring more time?

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

I have no problem with the adjustment but I'm curious of the reasoning.  The NOAA tide predictor shows the low tide on the 24th occurring at 3:06AM local time.  Leaving early would make it seem like arrival will be earlier and more coinciding with the low tide.  Or is it a matter of them making the journey through the channel at a slower speed thus requiring more time?

When is the next low tide after that one?  I suspect it's because the travel time from Nassau to Miami, while not great, could be influenced by guests running late, issues leaving Nassau, ship traffic, pilots running late, weather, medical emergencies, etc.  Setting an earlier departure provides a bigger buffer to allow for the unexpected knowing the ship must enter the port at a specific time and it can't do so at low tide..  

I'm Sailing on March 9th 2019 and got the low water in Port of Miami notice too. It's a pity that the ship is leaving Nassau so early, that will limit excursion options to just finding a beach or walking around the port. They arrive earlier but that doesn't really help since I don't plan on going on an excursion at 6am.