Drink Packages

First Time Cruisers and trying to decide if buying a drink package is worth it?  Wife and I aren't big drinkers at all, but love our coffee and drink lots of water.  Am I better off just drinking what's offered for free onboard?  Is water readily available throughout the ship (Independence of the Seas)?

Thanks

JG

The refreshment package is an option if you don't think you would drink more than a couple alcoholic drinks in a day.

However there are plenty of free options and tap water is readily available (and although some dislike the taste it is processed very similarly to bottled water and many find it quite acceptable).  Regular drip brewed coffee is free so if that and tap water is what you will be consuming the most then a package is probably not a worthwhile purchase.

For what it's worth!  I'm a coffee snob, so the free coffee offered on ship was not very good, had to add sugar and creamer to make it tolerable and I normally drink my coffee black.  I drink filtered water or bottled water at home, but found the ships water to just as good as the bottled water.  The best way to determine if a beverage package is cost effective to you is figure what you would drink on a daily basis add up the cost and see if makes sense.

Echoing other comments, sounds like the alcohol package is probably not something you need to consider. Refreshment package might be an option depending on how you find the taste of the onboard free options vs the pay options.

With that in mind and given the relatively low cost of the Refreshment package I would probably recommend waiting until you get on board and then seeing what you think. Also pretty sure they price Refreshment by the day (although I haven't purchased it in a while so I could be wrong) so if you "tough it out on the free stuff" and then decide to buy Refreshment on day 2 you get a small discount by not paying for day 1.

For me personally I don't drink coffee at all, don't find the pay juice worth it over the free juice from concentrate and find the "tap" water on board to be just fine so Refreshment doesn't give me any real value but for my wife who has a coffee IV plugged in first thing in the morning and wont drink water if it doesn't come out of a bottle its a whole different story.

Just now, gmanager said:

Does anyone know the current drink prices on GOS without purchasing a package? Specifically beer, soda, bottled water. 

Here are beer prices from Schooner Bar on Brilliance as of this week. Doubt there's much variation with Grandeur

DSC_0184_2.jpg