Large Stateroom for family of 4?

We are taking our first cruise in August on the the Jewel of the Seas to Alaska!  We have booked a large stateroom, outside cabin, mid-ship, level 3.  The description says it should be about 170 sq. ft.  Two adults and two older children (18, 22).  Should we be concerned about the size of the cabin?  Any tips for making the most of our space?  Thank you!

I have read several times that using the fitness center shower is a way of 2 people getting ready at the same time (1 in room and 1 in fitness center) and that the those showers are larger.  Haven't tried it myself yet.  Just passing along what I read.  Enjoy your cruise!

That's a great tip

A similar option is what we did on a couple cruises with our older children, including an Alaska cruise: We booked a balcony room for my wife and I and also a small inside stateroom across the hall for our kids. It worked out great because they could enjoy our balcony and the Alaska scenery any time they wanted to, but they had a place of their own to sleep and get ready. Great tip on the fitness center shower by the way!

A similar option is what we did on a couple cruises with our older children, including an Alaska cruise: We booked a balcony room for my wife and I and also a small inside stateroom across the hall for our kids. It worked out great because they could enjoy our balcony and the Alaska scenery any time they wanted to, but they had a place of their own to sleep and get ready. Great tip on the fitness center shower by the way!

I love your idea Steve !

Great way to save some $$ and still have some privacy for everybody !

• 4 weeks later...

Great idea using the showers in the gym, the room is going to be very small for the closest family... The 18 & 22 year olds are going to be sharing a small double sofa bed, your all going to end up murdering each other.... but good luck!

We were in a Junior Suite which is about 100 sq ft larger and it was "cozy" by times. Kids were just a little older but different sexes so we asked for a cot so I didn't have to give up my comfy bed and shoehorn either my 6 ft 1 1/2" husband or 6 ft 2" son on to the sofa bed.  Save the bloodshed at the very least try and get a cot and pack light!  

Another thing to keep in mind is the bedding.  If they're pullman/bunk beds, the room will feel larger.  On the Jewel, our third bed was the sofa and it made the cabin feel extremely small at night as the sofa bed took up most of the room.  On the Brilliance where we had a pullman, the room felt much larger as additional floor space wasn't being taken up at night.

More than likely, I'd recommend connecting cabins if you can afford it and insides tend to be extremely affordable in Alaska compared to the other cabins.  Otherwise, look for a cabin with pullmens and plan to schedule prepping time in the bathroom.  Another option would be to move down to a porthole cabin on Deck 2.  Normally I wouldn't recommend giving up the larger window; however, there are public restrooms on Deck 2 that you could use as an adjunct to your own bathroom and are only used when Deck 2 is used during port stops.