Good hotels near Port in Ft. Lauderdale

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:40 PM, jgiardulli said:

Any hotel suggestions for a one night stay in Ft. Lauderdale close to port?

Do you have any hotel affiliations for points/status? What’s your criteria (price, star rating, proximity to dining exc)? Everything in Fort Lauderdale is 15 minutes from port Everglades. Let me know what your looking for and I can help. Lovetocruise2002 got it right as far as two good recommendations but some of the others are located on SR84 which is not the greatest area in town and the mentioned hotel/motels are pretty run down. 

4 minutes ago, Poleman88 said:

We always stay at the Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center. Great staff and location , along with Shuttle and breakfast.

This is ground zero for cruisers. Great overall location. Less then 5 min walk to Outback Steakhouse, La Bamba Mexican, Kelly’s Landing, Quarterdeck, Carraba’s, Joes Diner, Publix, Total Wine, Duffy’s sports bar, Southport Raw Bar, Starbucks, Einstein’s Bagels, Burger Fi, Panera Bread, Bravo Italian, Mezaluna, PDQ, Dunkin Donuts, Lunchroom, Indian Harbor. The list goes on forever..... 

This is located off Sterling Road which is not Fort Lauderdale but rather Dania Beach. There’s dining located around the hotel but you may need to cross over Sterling Road into the Oakwood Plaza or Bass Pro Shops has Islamorada Fish Company (which is decent). 17th street hotel options will be better (location wise) but more pricey. In any case, your only a 10 min shuttle ride from the Port. Enjoy.

What about this one.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, Hollywood

We don't arrive till 7PM and will be out of the hotel as soon as we can get to the port.  So not needed for much, but will need to get dinner without car.  looks like plenty of restaurants to go eat at and a pool, with a hot tub for morning.

will try to get hotel shuttle, but may still uber/lyft to hotel.

most likely will uber/lyft it to the port that morning.

We had some points to use so we stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th street.  We were in early enough to get in on the managers happy hour. So we had a couple of free drinks in the evening and a great breakfast the next morning.  We could see our cruise ship in the morning from our balcony.  Even though they offered a shuttle we did a uber to the port.  We don't like waiting around for everyone to show up to cram into the shuttle.  They hotel is looking a little worn but we had good service and found it convenient to everything.

We have 2 restaurants that are within walking distance, probably 3 blocks, if you like seafood.  Southport Raw Bar or Kelly's landing.  Both seem to be a locals hangout and we love the food.  Both are pretty small however so you'll have to judge on the lines if you want to wait it out or not.  There are several chain restaurants also in the area.

4 hours ago, jjbescher said:

What about this one.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport, Hollywood

We don't arrive till 7PM and will be out of the hotel as soon as we can get to the port.  So not needed for much, but will need to get dinner without car.  looks like plenty of restaurants to go eat at and a pool, with a hot tub for morning.

will try to get hotel shuttle, but may still uber/lyft to hotel.

most likely will uber/lyft it to the port that morning.

You can take a short walk to grab dinner at Ale House, TJI Friday’s and a bunch of other chains. If you want to get adventurous get an Uber and head over to Rustic Inn and get some of the best Garlic crabs! It’s casual and normally pretty busy but great food. I would recommend using Uber and Lyft for both your airport to hotel and hotel to port. Call an Uber around 10am and you will be at the Port right at the sweet spot for boarding. 

3 hours ago, Razerbkfan said:

We had some points to use so we stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th street.  We were in early enough to get in on the managers happy hour. So we had a couple of free drinks in the evening and a great breakfast the next morning.  We could see our cruise ship in the morning from our balcony.  Even though they offered a shuttle we did a uber to the port.  We don't like waiting around for everyone to show up to cram into the shuttle.  They hotel is looking a little worn but we had good service and found it convenient to everything.

We have 2 restaurants that are within walking distance, probably 3 blocks, if you like seafood.  Southport Raw Bar or Kelly's landing.  Both seem to be a locals hangout and we love the food.  Both are pretty small however so you'll have to judge on the lines if you want to wait it out or not.  There are several chain restaurants also in the area.

There’s at least 30 restaurants within a 5 -7 minute walk. Yes, Southport & Kelly’s Landing are indeed locals resturants (more so Southport then Kelly’s Landing). 

11 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

You can take a short walk to grab dinner at Ale House, TJI Friday’s and a bunch of other chains. If you want to get adventurous get an Uber and head over to Rustic Inn and get some of the best Garlic crabs! It’s casual and normally pretty busy but great food. I would recommend using Uber and Lyft for both your airport to hotel and hotel to port. Call an Uber around 10am and you will be at the Port right at the sweet spot for boarding. 

Thanks for the advice.  I don't leave till April, but I hate doing things last minute.

We got a really great deal on a three night stay at Embassy Suites on 17th for post cruise, so I'm glad to see that location is good and walking distance to restaurants.  Any malls close by there?  And we booked a one night stay (pre-cruise) at the Hotel Morrison in Dania Beach...Fingers crossed, but I'm sure they'll be great.  Thanks everyone.

No malls within walking distance but galleria mall is a 10-15 min Uber ride away. Never heard of the Hotel Morrison in Dania but if your looking for close proximity to the cruise port and better value there are chain hotels in Dania (Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn exc) just East of I-95 on Sterling Road. I think these hotels are going to be reasonable and at least give you piece of mind knowing they will have some corporate standards. They are going to be more reasonable price wise as well when comparing to a 17th street or Fort Lauderdale beach hotel. 

16 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

(Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn exc) just East of I-95 on Sterling Road

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn and you're right that there are some corporate standards but I didn't think it was up to par with other Hampton Inns   It wasn't bad by any stretch, just not as good.  The walkable dinner options are limited (McD and Taco Bell) but if you're getting in late and leaving early, that might suffice.  

50 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn and you're right that there are some corporate standards but I didn't think it was up to par with other Hampton Inns   It wasn't bad by any stretch, just not as good.  The walkable dinner options are limited (McD and Taco Bell) but if you're getting in late and leaving early, that might suffice.  

Compared to “hotel Morrison” the Hampton Inn you stayed in might be like the Taj Mahal. I personally wouldn’t stay in a non chain hotel down her in SoFL without it being a 5 star hotel ala The Atlantic Hotel Fort Lauderdale Beach. You just don’t know what your gonna get. PS: I think there’s a 24 hour diner in the Oakwood Plaza so late nights don’t have to be Taco Bell or McD.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:11 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

Yes Agree but that’s also a $300+/night resort and probably not worth a quick nights stay to just wake up & hop on a ship. 

Yeah.  It is very pricey.  Sometimes I forget the costs, since I always use points for free stays.   It is worth it for those who want to get in a couple days early to extend the start of a vacation at a resort.