8 night anthems of the sea - first time cruisers - leaving NJ in January

lincoln81

hey everyone, we are first time cruisers and have booked the anthems of the sea for 8 days, January leaving from new jersey. There will be 2 adults and 2 children.

we have a few questions we are sure you can help with. 

Free drinks on board - whats included? Can we bring a refillable water bottle and fill it up on board? The tap water safe to drink?

We are not big alcohol drinkers so that doesn't really matter to us, but I will get the robot to make me a drink once just cause its cool. 

The refreshment package works out to $34.00 CAD per person, would be over $1200.00 for the duration of the trip, we dont drink coffee so that doesn't matter to us. Can we buy 1 of these are share? I know its frowned upon but hard to justify $1200 for drinks alone.

As far as shore excursions, what do you recommend for florida and cococay?

When we get to Nassau we are there from 7 am to 11:59 pm we would like to do the swimming with the pigs in exuma, has anybody ever done this? booked it on there own? any things you recommend? 

Is there anything that is a must do on board? 

Also do you have a hotel with parking in new jersey with transportation to the boat you recommend?

thanks everyone

1 minute ago, lincoln81 said:

Free drinks on board - whats included? Can we bring a refillable water bottle and fill it up on board? The tap water safe to drink?

Tap water is perfectly fine to drink.  Tea, regular coffee, lemonade, milk and iced tea is also complimentary.  

2 minutes ago, lincoln81 said:

The refreshment package works out to $34.00 CAD per person, would be over $1200.00 for the duration of the trip, we dont drink coffee so that doesn't matter to us. Can we buy 1 of these are share? I know its frowned upon but hard to justify $1200 for drinks alone.

Look for a sale between now and January.  It can go as low as $18US/day.  And no, only one can purchase.  It's the deluxe package that requires both adults in the cabin to purchase.

As far as the rest of your questions, we did the same sailing with 2 kids in March 2018.  Check out my live blog.  We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ and although we did not drive, they did have parking and would shuttle you to the port.  Great hotel for families.  We took the kids to the Kennedy Space Center in Port Canaveral, missed Coco Cay due to rough seas, and Hubby and one daughter did the Dolphin encounter in Nassau.  I blogged about all of this.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5780-anthem-of-the-seas-march-9-17-2018/

And welcome to the message boards!  Lots of great and knowledgeable people here!

@lincoln81 also make sure you check out @Matt's posts on Anthem, especially if it's your first time:

First time guide to Anthem: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/12/first-time-cruisers-guide-royal-caribbeans-anthem-of-the-seas

Getting started for new cruisers: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/getting-started

@lincoln81, welcome aboard!

In addition to the links that @Lovetocruise2002 already posted, here is one documenting the best "secrets" about Anthem: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/05/top-10-royal-caribbean-anthem-of-the-seas-hidden-secrets

And one more that covers North Star; a few years old now but still relevant: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/11/19/5-secrets-royal-caribbeans-north-star

The one thing from that North Star article that's out of date is the mention of it not going over the side of the ship while in port. In actuality, North Star on Anthem never goes over the side of the ship, even on sea days. I've never been 100% clear what the reasoning was.

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@lincoln81 also make sure you check out @Matt's posts on Anthem, especially if it's your first time:

First time guide to Anthem: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/12/first-time-cruisers-guide-royal-caribbeans-anthem-of-the-seas

Getting started for new cruisers: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/getting-started

Thank you, I needed this for my planning. I will be taking pics of Statue of Liberty. This year I am teaching US history and algebra trig.

9 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

@lincoln81, welcome aboard!

In addition to the links that @Lovetocruise2002 already posted, here is one documenting the best "secrets" about Anthem: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/04/05/top-10-royal-caribbean-anthem-of-the-seas-hidden-secrets

And one more that covers North Star; a few years old now but still relevant: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/11/19/5-secrets-royal-caribbeans-north-star

The one thing from that North Star article that's out of date is the mention of it not going over the side of the ship while in port. In actuality, North Star on Anthem never goes over the side of the ship, even on sea days. I've never been 100% clear what the reasoning was.

Thank you, I needed this. I will be taking my new camera equipment due to @twangster helpful advice. I will be taking pics of Statue of Liberty.

Just now, Sweety said:

Thank you, I needed this.

You and @lincoln81 may also want to take a look at JimZim's YouTube video about Anthem. Hat tip to @Lovetocruise2002 for first pointing me to him!

And I just found this video last night, while the wife and were looking up videos about the ship and Bermuda. Very basic overview of the ship that lists all venues, starting on deck 3 and working up from there. Gives a nice glimpse of each place and gives a good for how much there is to do and see on board.

4 minutes ago, Sweety said:

Thank you, I needed this for my planning. I will be taking pics of Statue of Liberty. This year I am teaching US history and algebra trig.

Try not to over plan your trip.  If you try to account for every minute of your cruise you will probably miss out on things you will discover just taking relaxing walks around the ship.  Remember your on vacation.  Take it easy and sometimes just go with the flow.   Good luck and have a good time!

Just now, MikeK said:

Try not to over plan your trip.  If you try to account for every minute of your cruise you will probably miss out on things you will discover just taking relaxing walks around the ship.  Remember your on vacation.  Take it easy and sometimes just go with the flow.   Good luck and have a good time!

Thank you!!!

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The operator on the North Star told me it was because it would take too long and there's no way they would be able to give everyone a turn if they did that.

It's interesting, as when we sailed Quantum it did go over the side.  We did not make reservations, just got in line when we felt like waiting.  There was never a giant line, and we actually got on twice, once at sea and once in port.  Awesome experience.  I find it hard to believe that people didn't get turns if they wanted them.  We did not wait that long at all. 

11 hours ago, KathyC said:

Anthem doesn't sail by the Statue of Liberty.  You need a good zoom lens to get pictures of it.  It's north of Bayonne. 

Once in a while Anthem will sail past Lady Liberty, but don't count on it.  It's up to the ports authority and depends on other traffic.  Lot's of barges use that stretch.  I was lucky enough to experience it once.

Which Serenade repo are you doing in October?

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Once in a while Anthem will sail past Lady Liberty, but don't count on it.  It's up to the ports authority and depends on other traffic.  Lot's of barges use that stretch.  I was lucky enough to experience it once.

Which Serenade repo are you doing in October?

The 12 night repo from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale.

5 minutes ago, lincoln81 said:

also our last day the boat gets back at 6am. do we need to get off at 6am?? I know they are leaving that afternoon again 

No, you actually won't be able to disembark earlier than about 7 AM, maybe as early as 6:30 if the ship clears customs very quickly. Guests who chose self-disembarkation will get off first, in that very earliest time slot. If you don't plan to do that, and instead leave your bags out on the final night for the ship's crew to take out to the terminal, then you'll get off at a time designated by the numbered luggage tag you'll get on your next-to-last night. The times range from around 7:30 to no later than 8:45 or 9:00 AM, so the crew has time to clean the rooms and the prep the ship for the next batch of passengers.

On a related note -- be sure to note down that number on your luggage tags! Your bags will be put in a section of the terminal that will have the same number mounted the wall. Once you disembark, grab a porter and let him know the number; he'll help you find the area, and then you can pick out your bags from the bunch that will be there. The porter will load them up onto a dolly and should also be able to get you on a porters-only customs line for faster exit to the parking area. I've heard the porters in Cape Liberty will even bring your bags to the car if you parked in the on-site garage, which is definitely a big help if you have a lot of luggage to haul (and worth a few extra bucks in the final tip).