Surrendering Passports

feather09

Hello! I am going on my first Royal Caribbean Cruise in December. I called the help desk earlier to ask some questions about documentation. They lady informed me that we will hand over our passports when we check-in and that we will get them back when we get off the ship. Is this true? I have been on other cruises in the past with another cruise line. On those, we kept our passports. I'm just really confused. Thank you!

1 minute ago, feather09 said:

Hello! I am going on my first Royal Caribbean Cruise in December. I called the help desk earlier to ask some questions about documentation. They lady informed me that we will hand over our passports when we check-in and that we will get them back when we get off the ship. Is this true? I have been on other cruises in the past with another cruise line. On those, we kept our passports. I'm just really confused. Thank you!

Which ship and sailing is it?  I heard over the summer that happened on some European sailings....

I have never been asked to do this I know employees have to do this but not guests many don't have pass ports as there not required on close looped cruises it would not surprise me if a ship going to cuba did this but I have been to most all of the Caribbean multiple times and never ran into this even on my uncles island hopper to many ports but if an island nation declares an item contraband they will sieze it and hold it till you untie the mooring to leave this I ran into back in the 70s during the pirate days the local law made us hand over our shotguns till we left but they were very gracious about it ad waited for us at the dock to get ready to depart sail on and don't sweat the small stuff if you call royal 10 different times you will get 10 different answers