Uber Wait

stevendom57

When I arrive back in Miami on my disembarkation day I plan to grab an Uber to go to my hotel, since I fly out the next day. I realize that I am going to be one of 3500 people leaving Mariner of the Seas at that time (and no telling how many others leaving other ships). Realistically, how long should I expect to wait to get an Uber?

My wait was 5 mins coming off Mariner last week.  They have a designated area for this near the right end of the curb side area.  I was at Terminal G.  Exit customs, head towards curb, turn right and go 50 yards.  FL cars do not use a front license plate so pay attention to make of car and color.  

In my case my driver must have been at a pit stop.  They appeared to be on Dodge Island where the port is, but they didn't move for a while, then they started moving.  I always hate when a driver is sitting in a restaurant or on their sofa at home accepting rides.  

Not all drivers do this so it varies but there were plenty of cars appearing to be available in the app.  

Mariner is expected to move to Terminal A in the coming months but I can't imagine the wait times will be any different. 

There's a comment section in the Uber app. You can enter a description of something you are wearing, red ball cap, bright shirt color, etc. something that helps the driver pick you out of the crowd.  We just used it after exiting Allure and the driver was right to the curb to pick us up.  He said because he could eliminate a lot of the other folks standing around it made it easier for him.

30 minutes ago, Razerbkfan said:

There's a comment section in the Uber app. You can enter a description of something you are wearing, red ball cap, bright shirt color, etc. something that helps the driver pick you out of the crowd.  We just used it after exiting Allure and the driver was right to the curb to pick us up.  He said because he could eliminate a lot of the other folks standing around it made it easier for him.

This. Great advice. I do this a lot on travel with airports, etc. 

I had a terrible time getting in Uber on a cruise that ended in New Jersey.  We were one of the first off the ship that morning. I went outside and ordered an Uber. It took a long time but it finally confirmed driver who is about 15 minutes away. The driver canceled within a minute or so. It found me another driver but he was over 25 minutes away. 

The Uber driver that finally arrived told me that all of the drivers queue up outside of the pick up area and wait for Uber to go into surge pricing before they take rides. 

On 9/28/2018 at 5:54 PM, Larry Muster said:

I had a terrible time getting in Uber on a cruise that ended in New Jersey.  We were one of the first off the ship that morning. I went outside and ordered an Uber. It took a long time but it finally confirmed driver who is about 15 minutes away. The driver canceled within a minute or so. It found me another driver but he was over 25 minutes away. 

The Uber driver that finally arrived told me that all of the drivers queue up outside of the pick up area and wait for Uber to go into surge pricing before they take rides. 

Yeah... welcome to New Jersey....

I was afraid of something like this, which is why I always drive to the port if i'm sailing from Bayonne.  I usually park at Port Imperial NJ and take the Ferry if I sail out of Manhattan, and I pre-arrange a car service if I sail out of Brooklyn.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Larry Muster said:

Bastards!....that's dirty.....same for Lyft there?..as that's what I use...

That's being said, I had no problems with getting a Lyft at the Miami terminal...the normal 5 mins or so.....so for the OP......don't worry about it!