Alcoholic beverages (doubles)

tarall

Hey! We bit the bullet and bought the deluxe drink package lol! I prefer to drink less liquids and stronger drinks. Do any of the cocktails have 2 ounces?or are the all only 1 ounces? Do you have to Order a cocktail and then a min later ask for a shot of vodka so u don’t pay extra? Thanks first time cruiser 

1 minute ago, tarall said:

Hey! We bit the bullet and bought the deluxe drink package lol! I prefer to drink less liquids and stronger drinks. Do any of the cocktails have 2 ounces?or are the all only 1 ounces? Do you have to Order a cocktail and then a min later ask for a shot of vodka so u don’t pay extra? Thanks first time cruiser 

Not sure I understand this question completely but some drinks have more than one type of liquor in it and would be more than 1 ounce. Is that what you were asking? Those drinks usually still fall within the drink package. If you order Tokyo Tea, a @CruiseLifeRick favourite, it has 4 ounces of something lol.  I lost count after watching them pour the first two ounces. That is one strong drink! But really good!

Technically, ordering a double is not covered or allowed by the drink package.  Drinks such as LIIT will have multiple shots in them.

In practice, many bartenders will pour into a shot glass and then add a bit more when pouring the shot glass into your glass.  That's not always the case though.

Ordering a drink with a single bill as a cash tip will often yield stronger drinks.  The drink package includes 18% gratuity so an additional tip is not required, but more often than not a tip yields better bar service.  Being generous on day one and using the same bar frequently will sometimes causes the bar staff to remember you if you tip (and that you don't).  That can have a lasting effect.  Maybe not a full double pour but often stronger drinks.  

To be honest though, there tends to be plenty of opportunity to consume drinks.  Making them double may get you there faster but over the course of the day regular drink availability is generally more than enough to get the job done.

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Technically, ordering a double is not covered or allowed by the drink package.  Drinks such as LIIT will have multiple shots in them.

In practice, many bartenders will pour into a shot glass and then add a bit more when pouring the shot glass into your glass.  That's not always the case though.

Ordering a drink with a single bill as a cash tip will often yield stronger drinks.  The drink package includes 18% gratuity so an additional tip is not required, but more often than not a tip yields better bar service.  Being generous on day one and using the same bar frequently will sometimes causes the bar staff to remember you if you tip (and that you don't).  That can have a lasting effect.  Maybe not a full double pour but often stronger drinks.  

To be honest though, there tends to be plenty of opportunity to consume drinks.  Making them double may get you there faster but over the course of the day regular drink availability is generally more than enough to get the job done.

Thank you for the response. I’m not trying to get the job done faster lol it’s just I prefer to drink doubles and drink less drinks and consume less liquids is all. I guess I’ll either order an extra shot on the side to add to my cocktail or bring some extra cash for tips:) thanks 

8 hours ago, tarall said:

Thank you for the response. I’m not trying to get the job done faster lol it’s just I prefer to drink doubles and drink less drinks and consume less liquids is all. I guess I’ll either order an extra shot on the side to add to my cocktail or bring some extra cash for tips:) thanks 

A lot of people are crabby with bartenders. I've been to crowded bars on land where you have to wait and figure out who's up next.  It seems some people on ships never use bars or have never experienced this so when it happens on ship they are uppity about it.  "I have to wait? But I'm on vacation, unacceptable!"

Being friendly with bar staff especially when they are slammed and not always but sometimes throwing in an extra tip is always noticed.   With your tip showing with your SeaPass card and innocently asking "Can you make it a double?" can sometimes achieve results.  Demanding or expecting it likely won't.  A smile and eye contact goes a long way. 

It is amazing what a dollar will do when handed over with your card.  I always ask for a Myers floater on a Pina Colada and what not, and that dollar will always get me it.  And if it is later and I am drinking scotch or plan to sit at the bar for a while, $5 will get you generous pours all night.  This doesn't work for servers as well, more so directly with the bartender.  You've spend thousands already, an extra $50 over the course of a week is nothing (IMO).

Cheers!      

I've always added a little extra tip, I also mostly go to the Schooner so they do get to know me and I've had them start the pour before I even ask.  If its not what I wanted, I took it anyway and ordered something after.  I've found most bar tenders will take care of you.  Now the really busy bars like the pool bars on sea days you might not get that same service but know they will appreciate any extra tip.

Tipping a bit extra is always the easiest way to get the bartenders to be your friend.  I usually stick to one or two bars, find friendly and talkative bartenders and add a dollar to every drink receipt.  They will definitely take note, and will treat you well.  During our last trip on the Oasis, one of my favorite bartenders from the Sabor bar asked me if I was attending one of the shows - he was working the bar at the show that night, and he found me in the crowd and brought me at least 3 kraken and diets all unprompted and all free (I had the drink package, but he never swiped my seapass card). Depending on the bartender, your milage may vary... but you can usually tell who appreciates the tips and who will go above and beyond for you.  I tend to use my onboard credit for tips, since I really don't need to buy anything on the ship... it's also an easy way to keep tabs on how many drinks you've had that day.

I use my Diamond benefits at the bar and occasionally order a Makers Mark Manhattan which actually isn't covered by the benefit. However, I have never had a bartender charge me for it and I always leave an extra tip! We love the Viking Crown lounge and get to know the bartender there.

I asked a pool waiter on the Liberty last year if the tip I write in on the receipt goes to him or gets pooled and he said it goes to him,  so I have been going with that.  Saves me from carrying cash around and I add at least a buck for every drink....I feel it helps get better service but have very rarely run into a grumpy bartender on any cruise.

Last cruise I spent a good amount of time by the pool - there was a bartender who would see me everyday and go out of his way to get me drinks. NEVER gave me a receipt to tip him, which I would have because his service was above excellent. I've actually felt bad that I didn't give him an extra tip but never had cash on me and quite honestly, forgot. All I did was be nice to him.

I think that you can never go wrong with tipping in cash. Tip early and often and try to stick to the same bars for the week. if you are going to be "one and done" then I don't think it matters too much but I would still throw a dollar per drink to the bartender.