Sign in to follow this  
Balsam

Voom Surf vs Voom Surf + Stream

I've been looking at the Cruise Planner, and until today, only the Surf + Stream package has been available, at about $24 AUD per day for one device.

Today, I can now select either the Surf + Stream or the Surf package. Surf + Stream has now dropped to about $16 AUD, and the Surf is at $13 AUD.

I understand this is for one device, and per day, but I can't find what the actual difference is between the two packages. I gather it's simply a speed restriction on the Surf package, but just how far do they throttle it?

1 hour ago, Balsam said:

I've been looking at the Cruise Planner, and until today, only the Surf + Stream package has been available, at about $24 AUD per day for one device.

Today, I can now select either the Surf + Stream or the Surf package. Surf + Stream has now dropped to about $16 AUD, and the Surf is at $13 AUD.

I understand this is for one device, and per day, but I can't find what the actual difference is between the two packages. I gather it's simply a speed restriction on the Surf package, but just how far do they throttle it?

Let's put it this way, IF you will be streaming Netflix, Amazon Videos, movies etc, you need Surf & Stream or else you will be stuck in the "buffer" universe especially on sea days. I've tried to stream on the Surf Package and didn't last too long before I upgrade to the Surf & Stream. I love streaming sports, which is a MUST for me. 😍

OK... I have no intention to stream sports, netflix or any other similar service. I figure that if I need to watch Netflix, then I'm wasting my money going on a cruise in the first place. Surely there's something happening on the ship that would be better than sitting in a cabin watching a movie?

I would like to be able to upload pics to facebook and check emails and sports results, but that's about it.

If you don't need it don't get it, I've heard the Surf + Stream is a little more stable but why pay more to check emails and sports updates.

1 minute ago, Balsam said:

I figure that if I need to watch Netflix, then I'm wasting my money going on a cruise in the first place. Surely there's something happening on the ship that would be better than sitting in a cabin watching a movie?

This gets debated a bit...I like to sleep watching a movie, show or reading from my tablet.

7 minutes ago, ellcee said:

This gets debated a bit...I like to sleep watching a movie, show or reading from my tablet.

So you're happy to pay 20 dollars per day to fall asleep while watching a movie?

More money than sense is my response... You could play a movie you've downloaded beforehand and acheive the same result... you're not going to see the end of the movie anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Balsam said:

I would like to be able to upload pics to facebook and check emails and sports results, but that's about it.

You know when you try to see facebook and the pictures won't load, that could be Surf.  It could take a while for your pictures to upload too.  If it doesn't bother you to wait for a page to load then Surf would work for you.  If you want a better experience, pay for the Surf and Stream.  

Just now, ellcee said:

Depends on the ship and the sale. My upcoming trip I paid $11.99. I don't remember July's cruise price - but I needed to be available for work so needed Surf + Stream. I also do my research to get good prices.

OK... so needing it for work is something that makes sense. Paying 12 dollars per day to fall asleep watching a movie is a complete waste of money. I have enough movies/tv series on my tablet that I could fall asleep watching. 

Just now, ellcee said:

For YOU.

As I said... more money than sense.

Your money, you spend it how you like. It makes no difference to me.

I asked about the difference between Surf and Surf + Stream. I didn't ask for suggestions on how I could waste my money.

Just now, Balsam said:

As I said... more money than sense.

Your money, you spend it how you like. It makes no difference to me.

I asked about the difference between Surf and Surf + Stream. I didn't ask for suggestions on how I could waste my money.

I'm just going to respond to this and then leave it - I enjoy this board too much t go much further. I agreed it wasn't for you in my first post.. I didn't ask for your judgement which you've repeatedly given. I have plenty of sense - and if you disagree, that's 100% fine.

Pro tip @Balsam:

If you ask a question on a forum looking for advice, don't attack people for the advice they give.  The second you tell someone they have "more money than sense" it really shows the lack of respect you have.  If you want to be disrespectful to those offering their help, maybe you shouldn't ask for help here.  Or anywhere.

Seriously.  Ellcee gave you her reasoning for getting it and offered a few differences between the two.  You responded with a completely unnecessary and unprovoked personal attack.  Extremely judgemental, rude, and disrespectful.  All to someone who simply offered a response to your question.  You have since doubled down on the personal attacks.  What kind of person does that?

Wow... some really thin skins here.

Elcee made ONE comment on my question... "I've heard that Surf + Stream is a little more stable".

That hardly counts as constructive advice.

I commented that paying good money to watch a movie that you're not going to see the end of seems like a waste of money to me, and now I'm the devil incarnate?

I'm actually offering some real world advice to elcee... save your 12 dollars per day, and download some movies etc before going on your cruise.

If, however, you have other reasons why Surf + Stream makes sense, why not share them?

Even though Surf & Stream costs more, I recommend getting it even if you have no desire to stream video.  The reason being is what @ellcee was alluding to, which is the regular Surf package is throttled down and as a result, the overall internet experience is better with surf and stream.  

I don't know about you, but I get really annoyed very quickly at slow load times and surf and stream is not that much more and offers a far better experience.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

If you don't need it don't get it, I've heard the Surf + Stream is a little more stable but why pay more to check emails and sports updates.

What I do is download movies and shows from Netflix that I can watch on my iPad without having internet.  I too like to watch stuff before I fall asleep.  There are a lot of variety that is available for download, you just have to download them just before leaving for the cruise as the downloads expire (not sure how long you get to keep them but it's a least a couple of weeks I think).

1 minute ago, NS8VN said:

The lack of self-awareness is disappointing.

The lack of respect is far more so...

The self righteousness is the worst  of all.

What has been your constructive input to this thread? You have yet to address my original question, yet you continually post about my attitude... something about pots and kettles springs to mind.

@Matt As I noted, throttling is what I expect. What I was hoping for was some examples of speeds people have experienced when comparing the two packages side by side. E.g. I had S + S, and my friend had only S. I got X Mbps, and he only got Y Mbps.

I'm sorry if some people are offended by my posts, but I'm not used to dealing with Americans. Australians call it as they see it.

An unfortunate nature of the written word on the internet is that none of us can hear how anything is said.  We interpret things as we read it, which may not always be how the other person wrote it.

I'd advise everyone to always be courteous and supportive of each other while writing, reading and sharing on here.  This is a message board about cruising, so not life and death struggles (although sometimes between cruises it feels that way).  One of the mantras of this site and message board is to be chill and enjoy the experience.  Personal attacks, insults and/or profanity need not be a part of what we do here.

The strength of these boards has been the helpful and fun approach so many of you have had, and I am so proud of this wonderful community. The key to our continued success is for everyone to come into any conversation here with an open mind and constructive discussion. 

It's okay not to agree with each other.  Really.  Disagreements should not lead to personal insults or disparaging remarks. State your opinion and back it up with why you think that way, and let others decide if they agree or disagree.  Beyond that, move onto the next post (it's probably about pizza).

If there's a problem, please contact myself or another moderator about it.  Sorting it out yourselves only tends to exacerbate the problem.  

From the same ship a few minutes apart, using two accounts, one Surf, one Surf and Stream while remaining stationary in my cabin:

Typical Surf:

Freedom Day 3 am-4.jpg

Typical Surf and Stream:

Freedom Day 3 am-7.jpg

I've made wifi phone calls and listened to Pandora, a streaming music service popular in the U.S. using Surf.  Pandora is designed to buffer a lot so it works for the most part on Surf.  Streaming video services typically consume too much bandwidth to buffer and stream nicely over Surf.  Hence the 'Stream' in the higher throughput package, Surf and Stream.

In the U.S. for U.S. departures, Surf has historically rarely been made available to purchase before sailing.  Historically it is only typically available to purchase once on board.  That is different from other regions where Surf has been observed to be available for purchase in the cruise planner prior to sailing.