San Juan departure 11:06am

BobNoxious

5 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan said:

For an FYI.  It pays to grab a porter and have them handle your bags.  The porters have a separate line through customs and you can save an incredible amount of time waiting in line.

We did this last time we were at San Juan and got to the airport pretty early.

Great tip.  Thank you.    Will do.   Is typical tip ~$5/big-bag?

2 hours ago, BobNoxious said:

Great tip.  Thank you.    Will do.   Is typical tip ~$5/big-bag?

The average is around $1-2 per bag, regardless of size, but by all means adjust the total as you see fit based on total load. I know when we had 8 bags to haul, I tipped $20 total ($2.50 per bag), and we'd made sure ahead of time that the big bags were under 50 pounds so they were manageable.

19 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The average is around $1-2 per bag, regardless of size, but by all means adjust the total as you see fit based on total load. I know when we had 8 bags to haul, I tipped $20 total ($2.50 per bag), and we'd made sure ahead of time that the big bags were under 50 pounds so they were manageable.

When I check in bags at the airport skycap or at the pier I tip $2 per bag.  usually they just need to take it, make sure it has the proper tags and throw it on a belt or cart.  They have to do a little more handling on the way out of the terminal so I tip a bit extra.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan said:

When I check in bags at the airport skycap or at the pier I tip $2 per bag.  usually they just need to take it, make sure it has the proper tags and throw it on a belt or cart.  They have to do a little more handling on the way out of the terminal so I tip a bit extra.

Same, but I was hoping on the embarkation day that if they got a few extra bucks they'd make sure to put our bags on top of a nearly full cart, instead of at the bottom of an empty one. ?

• 4 weeks later...

When you get to the airport don't forget to go through the agricultural inspection process before going to the airport checkin section. When you enter the main airport, immediately to the right and left of the doors is some x-ray machines. Run your luggage through those, get the "inspected" sticker, then go to check in with the airline.  So many people don't know to do that, and they go stand in line just to find out they have to go back and get the luggage inspected.  

13 hours ago, bcarney said:

When you get to the airport don't forget to go through the agricultural inspection process before going to the airport checkin section. When you enter the main airport, immediately to the right and left of the doors is some x-ray machines. Run your luggage through those, get the "inspected" sticker, then go to check in with the airline.  So many people don't know to do that, and they go stand in line just to find out they have to go back and get the luggage inspected.  

Thanks.  Will do!

Use a taxi to get to the airport.   RC transfers put all the bags in one large truck and then comes to the airport.   We waited 30 minutes for the truck with the luggage to arrive and then we were not allowed to get our luggage until it was all taken out of the truck. 

Do you think a 10:45 flight is ok? We plan to take our own bags off versus putting them outside the night before. I just assumed that a 6am arrival would give us enough time to disembark and get to the airport. 

When this cruise is completed we’ll be Diamond. Will that expedite our disembarkation? Now I’m worried we’re cutting it too close. Lol 

Just now, Jill said:

Do you think a 10:45 flight is ok? We plan to take our own bags off versus putting them outside the night before. I just assumed that a 6am arrival would give us enough time to disembark and get to the airport. 

When this cruise is completed we’ll be Diamond. Will that expedite our disembarkation? Now I’m worried we’re cutting it too close. Lol 

As long as the ship arrives on time you can make this flight if using self-assist to disembark and you don't wait until the end of the self-assist time slot to start.  Take a cab to the airport.  I'd get up early and be near the front of the self-assist line

Congratulations for making Diamond, that is a great accomplishment.  Unfortunately you won't be Diamond until your next cruise and more importantly, C&A status does nothing for self-assist guests as they disembark.  Even as a D+ I'm just like everyone else in the self-assist line.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up my question with my actual experience with disembarking Freedom of the Seas this past Sunday in San Juan.   We chose early departure and went to the deck 4 dining room around 6:15am-6:30am.   At 7:00am we were allowed to begin leaving the ship.  We carried our own luggage to an empty line at customs, then out to a cab by 7:15am.  From there, we were driven to the airport, went through an empty line at agriculture in terminal 4, checked 2 bags on jetblue (empty line), went through TSA security (empty) and were at our gate by 7:45am (for an 11:06am departure).  Spent the morning relaxing eating breakfast and drinking coffee at an airport cafe near our gate.   Yay for self-disembarking!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 7:25 PM, bcarney said:

Thanks for that!  The last time we came back into San Juan was in 1995.  We went out of San Juan in 1997.  We'll be doing a repo to San Juan in 2019 and I it might as well be our first time there as I remember nothing!