Observation from returning passenger

Nancymc

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my previous questions on here.  Really a great forum to get info from. As a passenger who hasn’t cruised on Royal for several years but has been cruising regularly on Princess I’m finding a big difference. It appears that Royal is nickel and diming me every where!!!!  There are charges on everything and all the beverage and internet packages are much more expensive!!  Looking forward to our cruise next month but might be last time doing Royal because of all the charges.   

37 minutes ago, Nancymc said:

It appears that Royal is nickel and diming me every where!!!!  There are charges on everything and all the beverage and internet packages are much more expensive!!

It's more of a modular approach.  If you don't want internet on your cruise, why pay for it? 

I'd also point out that internet and alcoholic beverages are not included in most cruises.  And if they are "included", you're paying for it in the base cruise fare. So with RC's approach, you only pay for services/experiences you actually want.

Sorry you feel that way but I don't see where RC is nickel and diming anything different than other cruise lines.  I think the value is that you don't have to pay for anything extra if you won't use it.  There are higher end cruises where everything is included and the price is built into the cruise fare.  Nothing is really "free".   

A quick internet search shows that Princess has their Premium Internet at $16 per day which is similar to RC.  The beverage package on Princess is $60 per day which once again is similar to RC.    

Generally most of the cruise lines are tracking each other closely and the general consensus is that there have been common changes across the cruise industry over the past few decades.

Some people like yourself who haven't cruised for a while often see this very clearly, where folks who cruise on a more regular basis have seen the changes as they occurred and adjusted to them.

To be fair, when adjusted for inflation, cruise fares have not increased dramatically over the years while costs for the industry including food, fuel and labor have increased dramatically.  Instead of increasing fares, there have been optimizations of services available.  In other words reductions in some areas to maintain low fares.  Where 20 years wine might have been served at dinner, now that isn't included.  That's good news for people who don't or can't drink wine but sad news for those who do even though everyone benefits from reasonable cruise fares.  Room service was included before but huge volumes of food was wasted by people who ordered it, didn't eat it and left it in the hallways night after night.  A small service charge curbs the desire to order food people don't really intend to consume.  This saves money and we all enjoy lower cruise fares as a result.  

To generate new revenue, cruise lines have created new opportunities for those who want them.  Specialty dining venues that didn't exist 10 years ago are now common.  The included options are still there, but some people want to splurge on something special.  Those like myself who don't want or need that experience don't have to pay for it and I stick with the included dining options.  Those with deeper pockets than mine who want it, can open their wallet and buy it.  

I don't see these changes as 'nickel and diming' .  I can board a ship and pay nothing more out of pocket and still have a great cruise experience.  At no point am I forced to buy something to continue the cruise.  

You misunderstood my post... hubby and I cruise on average of twice a year but usually go on Princess and haven’t done a Royal cruise in several years. That is why I am seeing a big difference in prices. And we always compare before we book on Princess so to me it’s a very obvious difference and to be honest is the only thing that is making me not look forward to our cruise next month as much as I usually would be. 

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

I don't see these changes as 'nickel and diming' .  I can board a ship and pay nothing more out of pocket and still have a great cruise experience.  At no point am I forced to buy something to continue the cruise. 

I feel the same way and as Matt said above "if you don't want the internet, don't pay for it. Granted, when you first get on board and you're walking through the promenade, centrum area, etc, it does seem like you are getting "nickel and dimed" by all the different offers. But, having only cruised once on a competitor cruise line (a long time ago), I would imagine that they are all doing the same thing, ie, "nickel & dime". 

If you don't have to have it, don't need it, or don't want it......don't buy it.:27_sunglasses:

16 hours ago, Nancymc said:

And we always compare before we book on Princess so to me it’s a very obvious difference and to be honest is the only thing that is making me not look forward to our cruise next month as much as I usually would be. 

My reaction is why let it bother you? Vacation how you want to enjoy it and don't let the little things get to you with how RC prices itself.

I don’t see it so much as nickel and diming, as much as a constant sales pitch. As with most on here I’ve learned to either ignore it or politely say no thanks. However I agree that it does worsen the overall experience. To me it’s like sitting on a nice beach and constantly having vendors approach you with their goods. Does it wreck my day, absolutely not, but not having to deal with it makes for a much better day. 

With all the electric compasses and signage on the ship they can advertise all the extras without having to constantly ask you if you’re interested in this that or the other.

With that said, see ya on the Symphony in November! ?

18 hours ago, Nancymc said:

You misunderstood my post... hubby and I cruise on average of twice a year but usually go on Princess and haven’t done a Royal cruise in several years. That is why I am seeing a big difference in prices. And we always compare before we book on Princess so to me it’s a very obvious difference and to be honest is the only thing that is making me not look forward to our cruise next month as much as I usually would be. 

I’m curious? Can you give us examples on things that are cheaper on Princess? I don’t see how they are cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Boltswin said:

I don’t see it so much as nickel and diming, as much as a constant sales pitch. As with most on here I’ve learned to either ignore it or politely say no thanks. However I agree that it does worsen the overall experience.

I have to agree with this. Embarkation day is a little annoying with the specialty restaurant waiters constantly trying to get you to make a reservation, or browsing the jewelry store when I just want to look.

25 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

Embarkation day is a little annoying with the specialty restaurant waiters constantly trying to get you to make a reservation, or browsing the jewelry store when I just want to look.

I can see what you and @Boltswin mean.  The flip side is I'm willing to get quite a lot of passengers have no clue you can get drink packages or book specialty dining.  It's as much a service as a revenue generating mechanism (although I'm not naive enough to believe revenue isn't driving the primary reason for it).

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can see what you and @Boltswin mean.  The flip side is I'm willing to get quite a lot of passengers have no clue you can get drink packages or book specialty dining.  It's as much a service as a revenue generating mechanism (although I'm not naive enough to believe revenue isn't driving the primary reason for it).

I agree with Matt on this.  You would not believe the number of people who tell me they are going on a first cruise and when I start to ask question have no idea what it entails.  What is included, not included etc.  A lot of people are cruising with family or friends and some one else has handled the reservation and they are along for the ride. 

2 hours ago, marti314 said:

For those of us who travel we see this at the airports all the time.  I hear people calling me over "Hey, are you earning miles today, would you like this XXX Amex Card"?  For those who do not like to ignore them a very polite no thank you and a smile does wonders.    

Ditto, this also goes when you are on the islands, don't be rude, just a polite no thank you works just as well...

I realize when you are hot and tired and have been asked for the 100th time it's hard to be polite, I get it, but I still try.

On 9/24/2018 at 4:23 PM, twangster said:

I've never felt nickel and dimmed..  Purchase what you wish and ignore the rest and just cruise and enjoy yourself... 

I too don't feel nickeled just more services and merchandise available trying to get the availability out there I like Matts idea of using all the screens on the ships to be  the town crier I very well remember no internet on the ships at all I choose to set my phone to airplane mode but if you want it its there for purchase for a great case of sticker shock try the ship to shore rates the specialty restaurants are there but I rarely use them I find the mdr perfect for my needs and just like home If there is a special occasion I will go to giovannis the menu at chops is basicly available in the mdr I find the tenderloin or prime rib in the mdr to be comparable but that's me I find chops to be a waste of money but it is there for those who want it at a price if you want something special in the mdr just ask you will get it I asked for blue cheese to go with my rib roast my waiter brought me a plate full of fresh blue cheese the seating arraingments in the mdr can be problematic at times but in my opinion that is the only place that chops beats the mdr I love giovannis for the variety of flavors served but I would be remiss don't overlook the dinners at the windjammer very good food many times mirrors the mdr menu and food for the most part is hotter when you choose it minus the daytime chaos I have sailed many times only eating dinner in the WJ all these wonderful food choices are available no extra charge no nickel and diming I for one feel as other posters have stated I can cruise the entire time and not spend a dime more love this lifestyle CRUISE ON MY FRIENDS