Cococay-is it viable for a disabled person?

Boston Babe

They have beach wheelchairs (big round tires).   However I don't know about reserving one or if it is 1st come, 1st served.  There was one parked near a lounger close to me today but no one was around.  Presumably they were in the water.   

Scooter - I saw people with them on the tenders but once on Cococay it's sandy with few hard packed surfaces.  With the pier it will be good for the trip down the pier but I'm not so sure about getting into the beach areas.  

I imagine Cococay will become somewhat more accessible once Perfect Day completes but that won't be in February.  I'm guessing this is something they will incorporate into the design as much as they can but a sandy beach is a sandy beach.   

There are tram stations and shuttles to the beach bungalows and various locations around Cococay.  

Absolutely, depending on the disability and extent you need to rely on accessiblity features.   The cabanas, bungalows and loungers are all sandy areas.   I can't imagine a scooter working well all the way to any of them but the beach wheelchairs should be able to.  

I don't think the wheelchairs come with a dedicated pusher so you might need to fulfill that role.  

We were there this month & someone was in a wheel chair that was in our group going to the island. They made sure to accommodate this individual & his family. They got him one of the beach wheel chairs and  last I saw of them they weren't having any issues. There is a beach very close to when you get off the boat, as well as bathrooms, food etc. You wont have to go far to have a good time. 

1 hour ago, chelsea said:

We were there this month & someone was in a wheel chair that was in our group going to the island.

Thank you so much @chelsea.  That's great to know.  We were also hoping maybe to rent a cabana, how far would that be from where you are talking?  RC/Celebrity have been wonderful with us so far this year. (this disability is all new to us!) but we took private tours in Bermuda both times there. I appreciate your help.

See above! That should help you. You can see where they tender & then the cabanas are at the top of the map near the docking area. Also, they do have a shuttle that runs continuously if you'd like to check out other areas without wheeling your family member around as long as you're able to get them on the shuttle. 

On 9/26/2018 at 10:39 AM, chelsea said:

without wheeling your family member around as long as you're able to get them on the shuttle.

He can get in the shuttle!  I'm getting excited! The pictures Twangster posted too are so pretty!  We need some much needed sunshine and relaxation. Thanks so much Chelsea!!

I have been to Cococay numerous times..I have always seen people there in wheelchairs and scooters so there has to be a way to do it. I would prob call ahead to talk/plan it with someone, but you should be able to get around and enjoy it.

Pier shouldn't be an issue..if they don't have it completed by then they have some big issues!..lol