Question about Giovanni's Table

Lovetocruise2002

Hi all...for our upcoming Indy cruise, Giovanni's is $30pp.  Part of me wants to try this since they seem to be phasing this restaurant out for Jamie's.  I looked at some sample menus and was wondering if they follow the same rules that other specialty restaurants follow, meaning...how many of each (apps, main, dessert) can you order?  More specifically, if I ordered a pasta, would I be able to order a meat entree too?  Or just one or the other?

Yes, they follow the same scheme as the other specialties, but pasta at Giovannis is considered a side so you can get pasta plus a main (read that as “meat”) course.  On our recent Liberty cruise Dan asked for some chicken parm as a “side”and even though it was listed a main course, they brought it as a side without any hesitation.  It is my opinion that the progression of Italian restaurants from Portofinos to Giovanni’s to Jaimie’s has gone steadily in the wrong direction.  While I think that Giovanni’s is definitely better than Jaimie’s, I think Portofinos was better to either of them.  I wish they would bring back Portofinos !

Just now, Matt said:

At Jamies, there is no limit on what you can order.  I've had no problems getting multiple entrees

Same here! In fact, the server brought out everything. When I say everything, i mean the entire menu of food and put it on our table. Sad really, 75% went to waste but the server was insistent we try it all (including the desserts). 

11 hours ago, Matt said:

At Jamies, there is no limit on what you can order.  I've had no problems getting multiple entrees

11 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Same here! In fact, the server brought out everything. When I say everything, i mean the entire menu of food and put it on our table. Sad really, 75% went to waste but the server was insistent we try it all (including the desserts). 

I never knew this either! Thanks for the tip!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
5 hours ago, Aron_Ross said:

I know this is an old post, but I couldn't find any answers.  What is the difference between Giovanni's Table and Kitchen?  I had Giovanni's on Freedom and really enjoyed it!  Didn't care for Jamie's. 

The menus and venue appearances are different. Giovanni's Kitchen also has an attached wine bar.

Huge fan of Giovanni's Table, never tried Kitchen although I have read mostly positive reviews.

You can find the menus in the app.

6 hours ago, Aron_Ross said:

I know this is an old post, but I couldn't find any answers.  What is the difference between Giovanni's Table and Kitchen?  I had Giovanni's on Freedom and really enjoyed it!  Didn't care for Jamie's. 

Massive difference IMHO. Giovanni's table has a smaller, less tasty menu. The kitchen version has pizza, better pasta, the Meatball Gigante and these amazing garlic knots. 

44 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Massive difference IMHO. Giovanni's table has a smaller, less tasty menu. The kitchen version has pizza, better pasta, the Meatball Gigante and these amazing garlic knots. 

To each their own. Giovanni's Table has always been our favorite specialty restaurant. Never had a bad meal there.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

The pizza at Giovanni’s Kitchen is fantastic! I prefer the Kitchen to Jamie’s and the standard Giovanni’s for sure.

Very excited to hear this about the Italian restaurants on the ships. I'm sailing on Oasis OTS in the fall and 2 pasta dishes piqued my interest. I saw that they offered full portions and half portions. I was hoping they would allow me to have 2 half portions. Sounds like I will be able to. 

On 5/7/2023 at 4:24 PM, Scarlett625 said:

Very excited to hear this about the Italian restaurants on the ships. I'm sailing on Oasis OTS in the fall and 2 pasta dishes piqued my interest. I saw that they offered full portions and half portions. I was hoping they would allow me to have 2 half portions. Sounds like I will be able to. 

Yes, this will happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for responding.  Just completed my fourth sailing in a row with Royal starting in May 2022...Freedom, Harmony, Navigator and most recently Ovation to Alaska, which was one of the best cruises I've ever taken so far.  Alaska was absolutely amazing!!  Anyhow, the only ship out of the four that has Giovanni's Kitchen is Freedom.  I think it may be my favorite ship so far.