Royal Caribbean’s Cruise Ship Dry Dock Schedule and Upgrades for 2019-2021 (Cruise Fever article)

Original link: https://cruisefever.net/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-upgrade-schedule-2019-2021/

Royal Caribbean continues to upgrade their fleet of 25 cruise ships with many of the cruise line’s ships being enhanced last year and this year.  The cruise line is currently in the middle of a $900 million renovation program (Royal Amplified) of their cruise ships.
royalcaribbeandrydock.jpg

When cruise ships go into dry dock, they receive routine hotel maintenance (new beds etc) and cosmetic upgrades in public areas that include lighting, new carpet, tile work, and wall coverings. Also, the dry dock gives cruise lines time to work on parts of the ships that are under the water line (azipods, propellers etc).

Royal Caribbean has been adding incredible new features including the Skypad, thrilling waterslides, laser tag, and escape rooms that is part of the Royal Amplified upgrades.  The enhancements allow Royal Caribbean to offer a wider variety of specialty restaurants and features to their cruise ships.

Mariner of the Seas and Independence of the Seas were the first two Royal Caribbean cruise ships to receive the Royal Amplified upgrades.

The schedule for Royal Caribbean dry dock enhancements and upgrades for 2019-2021 is as follows:

• January 3 – February 23, 2019 – Navigator of the Seas
  • September 22 – November 23, 2019 – Oasis of the Seas
  • September 10 – October 17, 2019 -Voyager of the Seas
  • January 20 – February 22, 2020- Freedom of the Seas
  • 2020 -Explorer of the Seas
  • 2020 – Allure of the Seas
  • 2021 – Liberty of the Seas
  • 2021 – Adventure of the Seas

I added a link back to Cruise Fever to properly attribute their work.  Not a knock on you @princevaliantus I just wanted to make sure they got credit for the work (although you did mention them in the post title).  All too often my blog posts are copied and pasted elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hmmmmm. I thought Radiance was hitting dry dock in 2019. After further research, I'm a confused Baked Alaska.

Radiance may have an upcoming dry dock.   All ships undergo a 'technical' dry dock every five years.  This is for underwater marine purposes.  Scraping growth off the hull.  Repainting the hull with special antifouling paint, polishing props, replacing bearings and seals, etc.  

Often they will do some work in passenger areas during dry dock but that is secondary.  

The Royal Amplified program piggy backs on that for Voyager and Freedom class.  Radiance class is not currently forecast to get Amped.  

That doesn't mean they won't do a dry dock on Radiance.  Rather it won't get Amped.  They may  still replace some carpet and things like that.  

Many people associate passenger area improvements with dry dock but that is off slightly.  They float a ship out of water in a dry dock strictly for technical maintenance.  Passenger area improvements are sometimes done while a dry dock is underway simply because there are no guests on board.  

• 9 months later...

Grandeur, I believe, is scheduled for a DryDock early 2021...... as for other ships .... only Vision and Radiance Class ships can fit under the bridges. (Key & Bay) --- although, there is regular debate regarding Radiance Class, at last check, they will fit.

My husband and I have booked a cruise on Freedom of the Seas for April 26th, 2020...this will be our 3rd time on this ship.  Wondering if the rooms will be updated with the scheduled dry dock in the beginning of 2020.  Does anyone know if any information has been released as to what exactly is being done?

TIA

Diane

48 minutes ago, DTibby said:

My husband and I have booked a cruise on Freedom of the Seas for April 26th, 2020...this will be our 3rd time on this ship.  Wondering if the rooms will be updated with the scheduled dry dock in the beginning of 2020.  Does anyone know if any information has been released as to what exactly is being done?

TIA

Diane

Welcome to the boards!  As soon as the changes/updates are announced, @Matt will have a blog post about it.  

• 6 months later...