Brilliance Issues

Allen2

Just returned from 12-day Baltic and 16-day crossing on the Brilliance.  Overall good trip, including Captain avoiding weather issues, BUT several common complaints among many passengers (1) Menu repetition (2) Lack of decent television channels, and (3) Shortage of toilet paper.  We ran out of toilet paper on three occasions, but luckily had plenty of Kleenix.  Another passenger suggested the solution, which was to go to a public restroom and "liberate" a spare roll of toilet paper.  Complaining to the Guest Service supervisor only got lip service, but she did admit that the ship did or would purchase toilet paper on a port stop.  After many complaints, additional TV was added for the last 4 -5 days, including CNN.

(1) Menu repetition - this is the norm as Royal would rather have everyone spending money eating at their specialty restaurants.
(2) Lack of decent television channels - this is the norm as Royal would rather have everyone walking around drinking, shopping and spending money onboard.
(3) Shortage of toilet paper - No poop paper?!?!?!? ? ? ? ? ?  How dare they!!!!

15 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

(1) Menu repetition

It happens on all ships to some extent.  Obviously a transatlantic will have a limited variety.  

16 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

(2) Lack of decent television channels

Watching TV on a cruise?! Sorry, pet peeve of mine.  Part of the fun of a TA is exploring and taking advantage of being on a ship for an extended period of time!

16 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

(3) Shortage of toilet paper

That's a fair gripe.  Was it a ship-wide shortage? Or housekeeping wasn't providing enough?

In defense of the TV comment: many people on board were concerned about the hurricanes.  Toilet paper shortage was apparently ship-wide, although some room stewards apparently handled the issue better than others (hidden supplies?) The Senior Guest Services Officer confirmed the issue. 

10 minutes ago, Allen2 said:

In defense of the TV comment: many people on board were concerned about the hurricanes.  Toilet paper shortage was apparently ship-wide, although some room stewards apparently handled the issue better than others (hidden supplies?) The Senior Guest Services Officer confirmed the issue. 

In summation, you just made your argument moot.

As far as TV goes, I myself never spend a ton of time watching it while we are on a cruise.  We mainly have it on for background noise while we are getting ready in the morning or for dinner, and at night time because we both usually fall asleep watching something.  I do tend to agree that the channel selection is limited, but it hasn't really bothered us to this point.

If I were to go on a longer sailing, particularly a TA or another itinerary with a lot of sea days, I could see myself getting to a point where I may just want to spend one evening, or potentially only a few hours, unwinding in my cabin, away from the rest of the people on board, ordering room service, and watching TV.  While I agree that the channel selection is very limited, I don't know that it would normally be a huge issue for us.  At least they were able to come to some sort of resolution for you though.

As for the toilet paper issue, that is crap!

Just now, 4ensic said:

You know it's bad when people go to the cashier and ask to change a 5 dollar bill.

Just now, JLMoran said:

EEEWWWWWWW!!!!!

Just remember, it could always be worse.  I have some friends who just went on a cruise earlier this month on the Carnival Triumph.  I don't think they knew that that ship was the host of the infamous "poop cruise" in 2013. 

14 minutes ago, MoneyMan702 said:

Just remember, it could always be worse.  I have some friends who just went on a cruise earlier this month on the Carnival Triumph.  I don't think they knew that that ship was the host of the infamous "poop cruise" in 2013

I remember that!!!!!!! 

https://www.cnn.com/2013/12/17/travel/carnival-cruise-triumph-problems/index.html

1 hour ago, MoneyMan702 said:

Just remember, it could always be worse.  I have some friends who just went on a cruise earlier this month on the Carnival Triumph.  I don't think they knew that that ship was the host of the infamous "poop cruise" in 2013. 

"Poop Cruise" - awful to be on, but a great band name.  Maybe Pablo Cruise missed an opportunity.