Room upgrade cost

Bakerette

That price will change according to the demand for suite occupancy on the ship. As there is less demand the prices will come down accordingly. My guess for a normal 7 day cruise it would be in the ball park of $800-1300 +/-.

On my cruise out of Puerto Rico next year on the Freedom of the Seas I have a Grand Suite but I always look at what rooms are left and they had an Owners Suite for about $800 more..not bad. I just looked again and it's $1100 difference so it changes all the time.

You can go on the RC website and price it out pretty quickly by going to your actual cruise and looking for rooms and seeing the price differences.  I do it all the time and you can also see sales and get your cruise reduced in price even if you have paid already.

34 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

That price will change according to the demand for suite occupancy on the ship. As there is less demand the prices will come down accordingly. My guess for a normal 7 day cruise it would be in the ball park of $800-1300 +/-.

You can go on the RC website and price it out pretty quickly by going to your actual cruise and looking for rooms and seeing the price differences.  I do it all the time and you can also see sales and get your cruise reduced in price even if you have paid already.

I know that the price change is according to the suite occupancy demand on the ship. Yesterday when I checked the price of a grand suite for 2 people the price was tripled what I had paid for the junior suite. I paid $2,064.94 for 2 people to stay in the junior suite and for 2 people to stay in the grand suite was about $6,194.82 which is quite a price difference?

The cruise is already paid off and I wanna know is if there is anyway that I could upgrade from a Junior suite to a Grand suite without paying more?

1 hour ago, Jess said:

The cruise is already paid off and I wanna know is if there is anyway that I could upgrade from a Junior suite to a Grand suite without paying more?

Without paying anything more? That's astronomically unlikely these days. I've been on this blog for a bit over a year and a half, and in all that time I've only seen one person post that the "upgrade fairy" came along and gave a truly free upgrade like that. The best I've seen of late is where some people will get a call from Royal offering an upgrade for a nominal rate (say, a couple hundred to go from a regular balcony to a JS, instead of the more-typical several hundred dollars difference).

The days of free upgrades and last-minute deep discounts on unsold rooms are pretty much done and gone, especially on newer ships like Oasis that are still very popular and continue to sell out on every itinerary. If you want a free or very cheap upgrade post-final payment date, you'll have much better luck on the smaller / older ships that have lost some popularity to their bigger brethren. And even then, if it's a popular itinerary like the western Mediterranean or a leaf-peeping cruise to Canada and New England, you still won't be likely to score anything.

I would just add that we upgraded our Oceanview Stateroom to a Boardwalk Balcony on the Allure after our final payment date. Hopefully, you have utilized a travel agent because I believe this is where they demonstrate significant value. I asked our TA 2 - 3 times following our initial deposit to price balcony staterooms for us. It just so happened that after our final payment a slew of balconies became available and the cost difference was negligible (I noticed based upon my obsession with watching prices on Royal's website). I phoned our TA and within minutes she had us upgraded into a neighborhood balcony stateroom. Long story short, touch base with your TA and they will do all of this work for you...they also might be aware of additional opportunities you're not privy to as a consumer.

Like @JLMoran said, the chances of the upgrade fairy calling are unlikely.  Not impossible but just unlikely.  If you really want a GS, either book it as soon as possible or if you upgrade after final payment, you just cover the difference.  Pay attention to the 45-60 day mark.  Sometimes prices will drop at that point.

4 hours ago, Jess said:

Yes, you can always pay more and RC will upgrade you.  You paid $X and the cost is $Y, so you'd just pay the difference.  But the notion of not paying more would only be available if you are past final payment date and the cost of the Grand Suite is less than or equal to what you paid for your Junior Suite.

19 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes, you can always pay more and RC will upgrade you.  You paid $X and the cost is $Y, so you'd just pay the difference.  But the notion of not paying more would only be available if you are past final payment date and the cost of the Grand Suite is less than or equal to what you paid for your Junior Suite.

I am cruising dec 2nd - 9th, 2018 on Oasis and I have a few questions about about your reply:

1) Want to know what it cost to upgrade from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite after final payment date? Final payment date was on sept 3rd 2018. 

2) Would I have to pay more if the price of the Grand Suite is more than the price of a Junior Suite???

3)why would the notion of not paying more only be available if I am past the final payment date and the difference in prices of the two suites is less than or equal to what the price of the junior suite was when I had booked?

1 hour ago, Jess said:

I am cruising dec 2nd - 9th, 2018 on Oasis and I have a few questions about about your reply:

1) Want to know what it cost to upgrade from a Junior Suite to a Grand Suite after final payment date? Final payment date was on sept 3rd 2018. 

2) Would I have to pay more if the price of the Grand Suite is more than the price of a Junior Suite???

3)why would the notion of not paying more only be available if I am past the final payment date and the difference in prices of the two suites is less than or equal to what the price of the junior suite was when I had booked?

Call your TA for price check on upgrading to GS.

2 hours ago, Jess said:

This seems to contradict what you stated earlier.  

On 9/19/2018 at 5:47 AM, Jess said:

Yesterday when I checked the price of a grand suite for 2 people the price was tripled what I had paid for the junior suite. I paid $2,064.94 for 2 people to stay in the junior suite and for 2 people to stay in the grand suite was about $6,194.82 which is quite a price difference?

If the GS is currently $6,194 and you paid $2,064 then you can likely upgrade by paying the difference, $4,130.  

Whenever you wish to change cabins, regardless if suites or balconies or any change of cabin class, you pay current rates for the new cabin type.  Moving from a balcony 3D to a balcony 4D would be the same - you pay the current rate for the 4D balcony, not the rate that a 4D balcony might have been 2 years ago.  

2 hours ago, Jess said:

1. The cost is the difference between the 2.

2.  Yes

3.  Because RC doesn't typically do free upgrades especially on suites.  Why? Because they don't have to.   There are people checking the prices on the category above them daily to see if they can get the next category for a "good price".  At about 4 weeks away the difference may be less but there will still be a difference.  With all the JS on the ship, RC can offer a GS for say $XXXX more and someone will jump on the price.  So the difference may come down but it is typically not free especially when it comes to suites.  

2 hours ago, Jess said:

Your travel agent can provide that information

2 hours ago, Jess said:

Yes, of course.

3 hours ago, Jess said:

If you were before final payment date, you could have just changed the reservation from one room to another or taken the price drop for the Junior Suite. Now that you are past final payment, your choices are limited.

20 minutes ago, Matt said:
3 hours ago, Jess said:

Yes, of course.

To be 100% clear, you would have to pay the difference between the current price on the GS room and whatever you paid for the JS. So per your earlier comment that the JS cost $2,064.94, to upgrade to the GS you'd have to pay the current price minus that $2,064.94.

I was in the same situation as you not long ago -- I have a JS booked on Anthem, and I was hoping that after final payment the price of a GS would drop a lot so I could maybe upgrade for a few hundred more and give my wife a really nice surprise when we boarded. But the prices continued to go up, even after final payment. Reason why is that the ship was rapidly selling out, so there was still lots of demand for rooms. First the remaining JS rooms sold old, then they offered GS rooms at a Guarantee rate (which was still way higher than what I'd paid for the JS), and within two or three weeks of final payment the entire ship was sold out. And it's stayed that way ever since. I'm bummed about it, sure, but I knew it would be a long shot and just having the JS booked for pretty close to balcony room rates (at the time I booked it) was a nice bump for me.

This is what I meant before about the popularity of Royal's newest ships. Oasis is nearly 10 years old, yet it's still popular enough that it's selling out every sailing, even the suite rooms. The only thing I can advise, which @Lovetocruise2002 also noted, is that if you really want a GS-level room in the future, be willing to spend the money for one and book it as soon as the itinerary comes out, rather than hoping for a price drop close to sail date. Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, and even with sales / promotions between booking and sale date that might bring the initial price down a little, it's still ridiculously expensive. I personally would rather save that money for excursions, or meals at specialty dining and some nice land restaurants in ports, or just to have for another cruise that much sooner. But I know sometimes staying in a suite is a goal (honeymoon, special anniversary, landmark birthday, whatever), and in those cases, well... just have to be willing to pay the piper up front.