Burial at Sea...Has anyone done one?

Hello All,

My grandmother's dying wish was to be cremated and half of her ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean, while the other half scattered in the Atlantic. 

I reached out to my TA who said they can do a Burial at Sea, but wasn't able to tell me if there were any additional costs. 

Has anyone done a Burial at Sea? Did it cost extra? What came included? 

I know I will need a certificate of death and a letter that says the cremation was done at a reputable U.S. cremation center. 

Any advice helps. 

Thanks.

There was a brief letter read from a listener on a recent podcast episode that had this done for a family member.   I cannot remember which one it was... sorry.   When I heard it, I thought it would make a good topic for a Podcast for Matt.   There are several youtube videos I've seen pertaining to this.  I also recall several topics on this coming up on a Cruise Critic Google search... 

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

There was a question I read on the podcast earlier this summer, but I do not recall exactly which episode that was exactly.  

Guess I will have to listen to all of them then ;)! 

If you were looking to do a podcast on it, I would definitely be interested in speaking about it (my cruise is in mid-November).

5 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Hello All,

My grandmother's dying wish was to be cremated and half of her ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean, while the other half scattered in the Atlantic. 

I reached out to my TA who said they can do a Burial at Sea, but wasn't able to tell me if there were any additional costs. 

Has anyone done a Burial at Sea? Did it cost extra? What came included? 

I know I will need a certificate of death and a letter that says the cremation was done at a reputable U.S. cremation center. 

Any advice helps. 

Thanks.

I'm very sorry for your loss. 

I did some research for you, and this is the process as per another cruising message board poster who contacted Royal Caribbean in regards to Burial at Sea:

Call Royal Caribbean's Emergency Travel Team at 1-800-256-6649 to verify current procedure.
Send an email to emergencyteam@rccl.com at least three weeks prior to sailing with request to distribute ashes at sea (Burial at Sea). Provide booking number, sail date, ship, your name, stateroom number, name of deceased.
Purchase a biodegradable urn for ashes, refer to TSA requirements if flying to your cruise port.
Once onboard, proceed to Guest Relations to schedule date, time.

17 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

If you were looking to do a podcast on it, I would definitely be interested in speaking about it (my cruise is in mid-November).

I'd definitely welcome an email that I can read on the podcast outlining your experience for others who may be wondering the same thing!