Ironing onboard the ship

Ben0867

As a Carnival cruiser converted to Royal this is something I've learned to get over and it hasn't turned out to be an issue for me.

Couple of things:

1. I bring Downy wrinkle release.  Travel size bottles available at places like Target.  I give my shirts and jacket a quick spray, crank the shower on hot and use the bathroom as a steam room for a few minutes to aid in releasing any wrinkles.

2. Rolling certain clothes loosely can reduce wrinkles (frequent business traveler trick).

3. You can request just pressing or steaming only without a full dry cleaning or washing.  Price schedule from Anthem 2018 attached:

861857197_LaundryAnthem.jpeg.a1edc11b74427c2627374b944b8ae039.jpeg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

You can request just pressing or steaming only without a full dry cleaning or washing.  Price schedule from Anthem 2018 attached:

861857197_LaundryAnthem.jpeg.a1edc11b74427c2627374b944b8ae039.jpeg

Same price schedule was on Freedom earlier this year, so most likely a fleet-wide standard. The suit pressing service is great, I had to take advantage of it after having to keep my suit, which was packed as carefully as I could manage, in my suitcase for three full days as we arrived in FLL a couple of days before departure. They delivered the suit in time for formal night, looking good as new!

Same prices we saw on the Allure in March.  We only used the pressings for one formal night dinner and everything came back on time and in great shape, wrinkle free.  The rest of the time we just used the "hang it up in the bathroom during a shower" trick and everything turned out fine.  I roll my clothes rather than folding them and it makes a big difference in both space-efficiency in the suitcase and minimizing wrinkles.

We really didn't miss having access to an iron.

6 hours ago, Orange Crush said:

Same prices we saw on the Allure in March.  We only used the pressings for one formal night dinner and everything came back on time and in great shape, wrinkle free.  The rest of the time we just used the "hang it up in the bathroom during a shower" trick and everything turned out fine.  I roll my clothes rather than folding them and it makes a big difference in both space-efficiency in the suitcase and minimizing wrinkles.

We really didn't miss having access to an iron.

Dad taught me about rolling clothes, evidently originated in the Navy.  Worked well for 10 years on the road.

as someone who regularly has dress pants and shirts cleaned at the a dry cleaner I am noticing that the prices are not all that far off from "land" prices. If something is hanging in your closet and it needs pressing then dont bother before you pack it. Plan to have it done on the ship I say. You are on vacation after all ?

On 9/17/2018 at 6:47 AM, twangster said:

Couple of things:

1. I bring Downy wrinkle release.  Travel size bottles available at places like Target.  I give my shirts and jacket a quick spray, crank the shower on hot and use the bathroom as a steam room for a few minutes to aid in releasing any wrinkles.

2. Rolling certain clothes loosely can reduce wrinkles (frequent business traveler trick).

Ditto.  I travel with Downy wrinkle release.  I'm also a big advocate of rolling.  For the nicer clothes, I've found if you stack them, then roll them all together (like a burrito), you don't get any wrinkles at all.  It's also a more compact way to pack.  I can get so much more in my suitcase when I roll clothes.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RatedPG said:

How are the laundry services onboard?   Anyone here experienced their clothes being ruined?  I read somewhere about tags being attached to clothes that are hard to remove.

That was the old way.  Now, most ships transfer your clothes to a mesh bag and tag the mesh bag.  They don't tag individual garments.  Not sure all ships do this but most that I have tried do it this way now.  

On 10/13/2018 at 8:25 PM, RatedPG said:

How are the laundry services onboard?   Anyone here experienced their clothes being ruined? 

On Freedom last April, I had my suit pressed on night 1 and my whole family did the “stuff a bag for $30” offer on night 5. Everything came back just fine, no problems and no tags. 

One of the dancers said that they keep nonwashable costumes from getting nasty by spraying them with a 50-50 mix of cheap vodka and water.  I'm going to experiment using 60% isopropyl alcohol and just enough cologne to let the booze police know it's not for drinking.  Should work OK on wool jackets. 

She wouldn't tell me how to find inexpensive vodka on a cruise ship, though.

• 4 years later...
54 minutes ago, jRehl said:

Do we know if the Nori Press is allowed 

i can tell you i brought my nori press aboard and it was NOT confiscated 😅 the last time we sailed but your mileage may vary. 

i can also tell you i found it to be exceedingly heavy and cumbersome in my luggage; we never used it, and instead had a magnetic hook outside on the balcony where we hung our dresses for dinner while relaxing with a drink.

between the humid caribbean air, slight breeze and downy spray (i had brought with me and wound up not using), i would definitely not bring my nori press again. 

I don’t iron my shirts before I pack them. On the first day on the Anthem, they offer a pressing service. All I can fit into the bag for $17.99…minus a discount for my C&A level. They come back the next day.

Also, I buy many ‘wrinkle free’ clothing items…polo shirts and casual pants. Take them out of the dryer and they never need ironing. Very convenient for travel.

Another tip is….I use the shower for steaming by hanging my shirt inside the shower tube itself, and by laying the handheld shower head on the floor of the shower. Steams much quicker than having the whole bathroom fogged up.