Celebrity Summit-Bermuda Sept 2-9, 2018

Boston Babe

Well we are back from our fabulous cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit!  The weather was PERFECT and the seas the whole time were like a lake! Hubby and I have only been this year on the Grandeur of the Seas and the Celebrity Summit, both pretty much equal in terms or age and size.  The Summit is a beautiful ship, but in much need of an overhaul which is happening this February.  Comparing just the shape of the ship to Grandeur, Grandeur won out on this one even though she hasn't been drydocked.  We were in a Grand Suite on Grandeur and an accessible Sky Suite on Summit.  Grand Suite on Grandeur won out as the furniture etc is a bit outdated was in much better shape than the Summit.  We are actually booked back on the Summit next May so we are looking forward to the  "new Summit" as they are redoing all the Suites, venues etc.  

We did utilize our Butler but not very much.  We had coffee brought to the cabin every morning and he was the one delivering it.  He was always available.  We had a horrible smell in our bathroom as soon as we boarded and continued throughout the cruise, he kept calling the plumber etc and was quite disturbed by it (more on that later). He did have a bottle of wine sent to us just to keep us happy! 

Food and Service- Food was fabulous on the Summit.  We ate in Luminae (the Suite Restaurant) for every meal except one.  We were given both the Luminae menu as well as the Main Dining Room menu to choose from for dinner.  The selections were wonderful and the service was the best I've had on any cruise ship.  We did eat in the Ocean Grill once while in Bermuda (Celebrities version of Windjammer) and this wins hands down over the Windjammer.  The food and flow of food was so much better, the selections was awesome and the way they have it set up the flow of people moved so well you didn't feel like you needed to be a hockey player!

We did have some excitement while on board, they arrested 3 people as soon as we docked in Bermuda ( I thought the sight of about 15 police officers waiting at the dock was a bit overkill!) LOL and one man when disembarking (we were on our balcony) feel overboard getting off the ship between the gangway and ship) The screams were frightening, but crew quickly rescued him and he was ok.  (Make note, do not take selfies when disembarking the ship and not sure where you are going!)

As we were entering NY Harbor last Sunday, I had the waiter in Luminae, the Butler keep asking me if I was going to Michael's (Suite Concierge lounge) to Disembark and I assured them we were.  They said Andrea (Suite Manager) has something for us.  We finally made it down to Michaels Club to disembark.  Andrea found me and handed us $1000 future cruise credit ($500 for me and $500 for Jack) for putting up with the bathroom smell all week!  We really didn't expect anything so this was quite a pleasant surprise.  We can use this $1000 toward payment for our upcoming Summit cruise in May!  Win/Win!  

I feel that Celebrity is not for everyone.  There are no bells and whistles like RC ships have for children (there were only 25 on this cruise and all toddlers).  We were very happy with this though as we are a bit older and enjoy the relaxation of just being on a cruise.  Their service is outstanding, their food is outstanding, their drinks are outstanding and all is all it was an extremely pleasant experience! 

1 hour ago, Sweety said:

Loved the critique of both ships. Hubby loved the hamburgers on Celebrity grill. He ate there everyday.  Will put Summit on my bucket list. Thank you for writing this. What was the food you loved the best?

Honestly, their soups and salads were fabulous! Lol Their steaks were cooked to perfection as was the lobster. The last night I actually had turkey from the main dining room and that too was great

1 hour ago, Sweety said: