Insurance

mickjacket

I'm in the process of getting an annual plan with Allianz through MEI because we have 2 cruises,a  long weekend with flight and car and renting a house near Charleston, SC for a week next spring. RC wanted close to $300 (4 of us) for one cruise, $100 (2 of us) for the other cruise. The realtor for the house wants another $275. For $700 I can get the Premier annual plan for the household with $5K trip cancellation (plus medical, etc) for $700. 

We use the Royal Caribbean credit card to book the cruise so no insurance there.

The problem with getting insurance from the cruise line is they compensate with Future Cruise Credit which has it's own set of terms and conditions.  You want a policy that compensates with cash and can cover the entire trip (home to home).  I know it is unlikely to happen but you never know, cruise line's trip insurance will not reimburse you if they go bankrupt whereas most other policies will.  Make sure you read the policy wording before purchasing to ensure it is the correct insurance coverage for your needs.  

We have an annual plan with Allianz, it's the $450 a year plan.  Covers all four of us.  We had three cruises booked within a 365 day period, so it made sense at the time.  We will have a 5 month gap from when the policy ends and the next cruise starts, so we'll wait until right before then start up another 365 day period.