Is there a secret VOOM sale going on?

Orange Crush

Just saw this when I logged in to Cruise Planner for my upcoming 10/5 sailing on the Enchantment:

image.png.b3efd97c3b507a54a7ad6c488dd76e28.png

I do believe that is the cheapest I've ever seen it.  Not sure if this is just for my ship & sailing, but check cruise planner for your upcoming cruises in case it's something more widespread.

I checked my March 2019 sailing and also saw that price.  My March sailing was not on sale with the last Voom sale a few weeks ago (where my Nov cruise had Voom for $10.79).  I haven't seen much of a sale for my March 2019 cruise and this was the first time that I've seen a decent sale price. 

22 hours ago, Oliver said:

Thanks so much for heads up. I also purchased Internet package for $285 for 4 devices. Myself, wife, and two teenagers for Alaska cruise in July 19. Very good price.

We were on the Radiance in July (Northbound) and we actually had good cell service from AT&T on the ship with the exception of a few times.  Our phones alerted us to when we went to cellular at sea so we just put it our phones into airplane mode for a while.  Our phones are set up to do WiFi calling so it was good all around.  Actually, we had better AT&T reception there than we have at our own house ?

17 minutes ago, whitsmom said:

We were on the Radiance in July (Northbound) and we actually had good cell service from AT&T on the ship with the exception of a few times.  Our phones alerted us to when we went to cellular at sea so we just put it our phones into airplane mode for a while.  Our phones are set up to do WiFi calling so it was good all around.  Actually, we had better AT&T reception there than we have at our own house ?

Thanks!

Ok, so I will start this off by saying I am a tech idiot.  That said, what is the huge difference between the surf package and the surf & stream package?  I need it to get online for email, and to log into some cloud based software for work.  My wife will use it solely for facebook.  It is $5 a day more for the surf & stream.  What will I not be able to do with only the surf option?  I have no desire to login to netflix while on my cruise.   

Just now, JBC said:

Ok, so I will start this off by saying I am a tech idiot.  That said, what is the huge difference between the surf package and the surf & stream package?  I need it to get online for email, and to log into some cloud based software for work.  My wife will use it solely for facebook.  It is $5 a day more for the surf & stream.  What will I not be able to do with only the surf option?  I have no desire to login to netflix while on my cruise.   

Surf will allow you to send messages and surf the web. Your speed is throttled, so streaming music and video won't work. 

1 hour ago, JBC said:

So likely when my wife is attempting to watch some nonsense video on facebook, it will buffer and be slow and I should just spend the extra $35 so I don't have to listen to her complain?  

Not only this, but if you need access to your cloud-based system for work, that will also perform much better on Surf & Stream. As a rule, unless you only plan to use the internet for messaging apps like WhatsApp / iMessage / Facebook Messenger / etc., basic email, and maybe some VOIP calling, you'll want to spend the little extra money for Surf & Stream.

At a more technical level -- on the newer ships with better VOOM service through O3b satellite networking, you'll see between 2 and 4 Mbit download speeds on Surf & Stream, and around 0.5 to 1 Mbit upload. Older ships not using O3b, or ships in areas further from the equator that already get poorer satellite signal, will be noticeably slower. Surf-only is throttled to around 1/4 those speeds.