Attn: rjac and All of My Cruisers in NC/mid-Atlantic

Floski

I sure hope y'all have gotten out or will be evacuating soon.

I have been, and will continue to pray for your safety and for your homes and belongings.  This is 

gonna be a tough one, especially for central and eastern North Carolina.  Somehow, it appears that

we in Charleston have dodged a serious bullet.

My office has closed down until Monday - man, I sure wish I could jump on a ship and enjoy using up my vacation days.

Stay safe and Godspeed

16 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@rjac let us know how you and your family are doing.  I've been thinking about you a lot too this morning while listening to the news.

Thanks Samantha. Been through this many times before, but, not with a hurricane of this magnitude. Will spend today moving all the deck furniture, outdoor container plants, etc into the garage and tying down anything else that can become a wind blown projectile. Loaded up on bottled water, food and d size batteries yesterday. You should have seen the lines at the gas stations yesterday, holy cow! Will let you know how it goes. :27_sunglasses:

Just now, rjac said:

Thanks Samantha. Been through this many times before, but, not with a hurricane of this magnitude. Will spend today moving all the deck furniture, outdoor container plants, etc into the garage and tying down anything else that can become a wind blown projectile. Loaded up on bottled water, food and d size batteries yesterday. You should have seen the lines at the gas stations yesterday, holy cow! Will let you know how it goes. :27_sunglasses:

May I make a suggestion ...... get your propane cylinders filled .... if the electricity is out, you'll still be able to grill (assuming you have a grill) --- that's what we're doing on top of loading up on water.  Also, if you're concerned about water, fill the bathtub up..... you never know when you may need it.  Stay Safe. 

In the words of Dr. Marvel on the Wizard of Oz --- "This one's gonna be a Whoppa"

You all seem to have the basics covered. Here's another  - snacks and entertainment of some sort. I've been through a few of these and what we forget are the little things - keeping ourselves entertained when there is no power. Board games and books are huge. We lost power and heat with Sandy for 6 days. Nights were rough when you had nothing to do and no internet to keep you company.

Stay safe. As a Floridian, I can tell you the media will spend a lot of time scaring you, so sometimes the best thing you can do is turn off the TV for the sake of sanity. Unless you live on the coast, always remember that as soon as the storm makes landfall, it loses a lot of energy.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Stay safe. As a Floridian, I can tell you the media will spend a lot of time scaring you, so sometimes the best thing you can do is turn off the TV for the sake of sanity. Unless you live on the coast, always remember that as soon as the storm makes landfall, it loses a lot of energy.

I live in Houston and we get these all the time and yes the media loves to scare people into watching. Last years Hurricane Harvey was an exception. It was worse than I thought it was gonna be. But in general I’ve been thru many storms and most thinks turns out ok. 

Current Floridian and former North-Carolinian here (I lived in the area in '96 when Bertha & Fran hit in the same year). 

Stay safe and stay smart, sounds like you've got the essentials covered.    Just remember that the most dangerous part of a hurricane is after it has passed.  Don't be in a hurry to run around outside, and when you do, be mindful about walking under any branches or other dangling objects that haven't quite finished falling to the ground.  Treat all power lines as live, and don't be breaking out the chainsaws and ladders and climbing on the roof for the first time in 20 years.

Hopefully you don't get any damage and keep power the whole time or get it back very quickly.  Good luck!

Well, all this time I was pretty confident that Charleston would be spared from Flo,

but that scenario is looking less and less likely.  Now I find myself in the uncomfortable

position of determining whether we stay or leave.  I still don't think we will get hammered,

and am still leaning toward sitting tight, but there is going to be a lot of rain coming to

us, and I have a lot of very tall trees around my house.  

So perhaps I need to go stay with rjac!!!

21 hours ago, rjac said:

Hope it loses a sh** load of energy. I live about 40 miles from the Atlantic Coast!

Hope so too but sadly doubt it.  Our daughter is at ECU and she came home yesterday.   They essentially ordered everyone who could leave to go home.   If it's anything like 2 years ago, she'll be home for 10 days.  Direct hit or not, there's a crapload of rain coming.  Stay safe

Hoping that everyone is fully prepped and safe. Heard comparison of this storm last night to Hurricane Hugo (last Cat 4 to hit the Carolinas), sending what vibes I can for the storm to weaken down to a 3 or 2 as it leaves the pocket of warm water that strengthened it, so that it doesn't pack as big a wallop to everyone in its path!

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Hoping that everyone is fully prepped and safe. Heard comparison of this storm last night to Hurricane Hugo (last Cat 4 to hit the Carolinas), sending what vibes I can for the storm to weaken down to a 3 or 2 as it leaves the pocket of warm water that strengthened it, so that it doesn't pack as big a wallop to everyone in its path!

Thanks, bud. 

She is so hard to predict, but I'm afraid that eastern NC is going to get soaked.  Us, too, possibly, but I'm relatively confident that we'll be fine.  We may lose power, which will suck, but it'll be all good.

Thanks, y'all

I hope I'm not being premature, but speaking for us in the Charleston area, we seem to have been spared

the worst of Florence and I don't think we'll get a lot from her.

I wish I could say the same for all of the folks in eastern/central NC, upper SC, and eventually western NC, 

VA, WV, and possibly even into the NY area.  

I'm praying for the best outcome for all (He already was merciful enough to downgrade her before landfall).

Now, let's get the next 50 days over with, hurricane-free, so I can get on Oasis and finally relax!

15 minutes ago, Floski said:

I'm praying for the best outcome for all (He already was merciful enough to downgrade her before landfall).

I'm so glad to see this and that charleston was hopefully spared. Still thinking about @rjac and others too. Prayers continued.. And yes, get these next 50 overwith!! so you can enjoy!