help with excursions please

mtquinn

We are booked on Oasis to Western Med July 2019. Here are our ports: BARCELONA, SPAIN
PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN PROVENCE(MARSEILLE), FRANCE FLORENCE/PISA(LASPEZIA)ITALY ROME (CIVITAVECCHIA), ITALY NAPLES, ITALY

In the beginning stages here, but we have never been to Europe so would love insight. Also looking to possibly do things on our own if we can (hop on/off, wander on our own, etc). Want to see sights but dont want to pay for tours that we could do on our own. Thanks! 

We did a Med cruise several years ago but started out in Rome and did a pre cruise 5 day tour of Italy.  Rome was a 2 day tour and that wasnt nearly enough to see it all.  You will probably have a choice of Vatican City or the ancient ruins.  A tour of the colosseum and Forum will take up most of a day. as will the Vatican tour.  

The Naples tour we did was Pompeii with a stop at a cameo factory.  Pompeii was worth it but a lot of walking.  The cameo was nice but only if you like cameos and of course they hard sell you to buy some.  There was 2 or 3 hours left when we got back to Naples.  If your hungry when you get back find a pizza place near the ship to eat as it is the birth place of the pizza.  There is a big palace near the ship that is a beautiful place to visit but hard to find the entrance.  If your interested let me know and I will try to figure out where the entrance is.  Good luck and read some travel books to help in your choices

On our med cruise this year we went to Palma de Mallorca and did the Palma city sights tour which included the bull ring and pearl factory as well as the castles so can highly recommend it.  In Barcelona I think we paid €5 each for a coach which dropped you of by The Ramblas.  Front here you can easily walk to most things including the metro or get the hop on hop off bus which I think is €30 each.  You can buy the hop on hop off tickets in advance also the Camp Nou tickets if you want to visit there.