Oasis of the Seas Sept. 16th

yamwar98

Anyone sailing on the Oasis of the Seas September 16th? This is our first cruise and we are wondering how we will know what happens with the hurricane and tropical storms going on. Do they usually cruise regardless the weather condition? I'm kinda concerned about TD9 and just getting to Florida at this point!

Right now the current most likely prediction is that Florence will make landfall in SC/NC on Thursday/Friday.  The second but less likely prediction is that it turns North and becomes a slow Nor'easter skimming the NE coast.  It is really too early to tell.

RC will cancel the cruise if the port would take a direct hit on embarkation day.  This is highly unlikely for Oasis so I would plan on cruising.  RC will stay out of the path of the storm which according the the most likely predictions right now by Sunday it is looking like it will be well north of Oasis.  You could experience port changes if RC deems necessary (heavy waves could make it difficult to dock in a port).  

Now for flights.  Where are your coming from/connecting thru?  If you are flying in on Saturday, I think you would be in the clear unless you are coming from the northeast.  I would also be mindful if you are connecting through Charlotte on Thursday and Friday.  The airlines will probably start allowing changes with no change fees in the next day or 2.  If it was me and I was flying through the mid-atlantic/NE coast, I would look at changing my ticket.  If necessary, do it as soon as they allow the change without fees rather than waiting to see what happens as the flight you would like to have could be full.  

You should follow James Van Fleet on Facebook or twitter.  He is the RC's chief meteorologist and he typically posts changes.  RC also posts changes on their site and follow your airline notifications.  

Remember, it is still too early for the meteorologists to decide on where Florence will actually hit but they have it down to 2 likely scenarios.  It is a good idea to start coming up with back up plans especially if you think it will affect your flight. 

Finally, I would stock up on Dramamine/ginger pills and sea bands before I leave as waves from the NE can have an affect on the Caribbean.  

unfortunately we are flying delta from Pittsburgh to LaGuardia then to Orlando. I will most likely have to change that flight! I am really concerned about Tropical Depression 9 because it says its projected to go west right through the Caribbean. Hopefully we will be in the clear to go somewhere! Thanks for the help! 

5 minutes ago, yamwar98 said:

unfortunately we are flying delta from Pittsburgh to LaGuardia then to Orlando. I will most likely have to change that flight! I am really concerned about Tropical Depression 9 because it says its projected to go west right through the Caribbean. Hopefully we will be in the clear to go somewhere! Thanks for the help! 

TD 9 is still very far away and not even to the level of a TS or hurricane. Any kind of forecast on its path is nothing more than a proverbial finger to the wind and can change a million different ways between now and the time it's actually in striking distance of the US. I know it's difficult to do with your vacation so close, but it's best for now to just follow the information on Florence only, and ignore any updates on TD 9 until it's on this side of the Atlantic.

TD 9 is now tropical storm Isaac and one that I have been watching also.  I too have a Sept. 16th sailing,  on Liberty.  Not that I am worried,  its all good with me as long as I can get on the ship! ?   I have noticed its projected path is very similar to last years Harvey.  I was on the Liberty last year when our 7 day cruise became a 12 day cruise because of Harvey...lightning wouldn't strike twice 

I guess my main concern is getting to the ship as well! I called Delta and they said they would let everyone know by the 12th If our flight would be affected. If that's the case they said we would be able to move our flight, with no cost, from Saturday to Friday. My main concern is LaGuardia to Orlando. I know there are a lot of flights from Pittsburgh to Atlanta and connecting to Orlando on Friday. So that could be a possible option depending on the pattern Florence decides to take. Crabbycruiser We'll have to pray we can get flights out. 12 Days would be a great bonus! I hope it doesn't go the other way and get 3-5 days!

The best advice, which is also the hardest to follow, is to try not to worry too much about factors you have no control over.  Hurricane paths, intensity and forecasts can change daily (if not more often) and so looking at storms more than a few days out is best approached by simply seeing how things are closer to your sail date.

First and foremost, RC will do everything it can to have the sailing go on, and often will send the ship on a different itinerary (western caribbean instead of eastern, or vice versa) to avoid being anywhere near the storm.

2 minutes ago, Irieman said:

I am sailing on the Oasis Sept. 16th cruise and my only concern is concern is my connecting flight in Baltimore on Saturday. Actually, as long as I get in to BWI I have the option to drive the 13 hours to Port Canaveral. Will do what is needed to make that cruise! ?

I don't think driving from Baltimore to Florida on Saturday is going to be a good option.  Not unless you intend to drive over to Kentucky and pick up I-75 to go around the storm that will be directly between you and your destination.

I would consider calling your airline about rerouting and connecting elsewhere if at all possible.

16 hours ago, Irieman said:

I am sailing on the Oasis Sept. 16th cruise and my only concern is concern is my connecting flight in Baltimore on Saturday. Actually, as long as I get in to BWI I have the option to drive the 13 hours to Port Canaveral. Will do what is needed to make that cruise! ?

My flight was Saturday going from Pittsburgh to LaGuardia to Orlando. I called Delta and the changed my flight. I fly in on Thursday, but i'm sure if you call the airline and explain the situation they will help you reroute your flight to stay away from Baltimore. I'm pretty sure driving from Baltimore isn't going to be an option with Florence in the way!