Grandeur of the Seas going to Nassau instead of Bermuda

disappointing I am sure...but going to Bermuda(or anywhere south)during hurricane season you have to be ok with last min changes...

I have a trip to Cuba booked for next Saturday but there is a scary line of storms forming over and around Africa...just have to roll with it..

But still disappointing nevertheless......

13 minutes ago, Tim B. said:

I am curious as I am very new to cruising. When Hurricanes are threatening an area that you are going to  are the Cruise vigilant about updating passengers prior to cruising? Or do you have to travel to the port location and then find out you are stuck?

Well, let's put it this way .... this particular sailing is tomorrow.  That's how much notice they received.

I don't understand how this change makes sense.  If you look at the projected path of the storm and the path between Baltimore\Bermuda and Baltimore\Nassau, The Grandeur is going to have to make the return trip up the coast through the path of the storm, and it is a longer path than to\from Bermuda.  I get that the weather in Nassau will be better, but don't they also have to consider the 'at sea' portion?  As someone who is supposed to be on the Grandeur on Thursday, I'm concerned she won't be back on time.

5 hours ago, KarenPinNC said:

I don't understand how this change makes sense.  If you look at the projected path of the storm and the path between Baltimore\Bermuda and Baltimore\Nassau, The Grandeur is going to have to make the return trip up the coast through the path of the storm, and it is a longer path than to\from Bermuda.  I get that the weather in Nassau will be better, but don't they also have to consider the 'at sea' portion?  As someone who is supposed to be on the Grandeur on Thursday, I'm concerned she won't be back on time.

According to James Van Fleet, the RCI Chief Meteorologist, the goal is to stay out of the NorthEast quadrant of the storm, which if you follow hurricanes, is the worst part of a storm in the Atlantic/Caribbean theater.  Keep in mind the projected track is a guess.  Many days out the "cone of uncertainty" is large.    Long range is just too hard to predict because of how uncertain they are.  Sometimes storms in this area have started doing loops and even turned East then looping around and heading straight West. 

The problem with Bermuda is there is no where to run to if the storm stalls and cuts them off from the US Mainland.  Going South is safer as there are many ports of call to refuel if needed.  This storm could hug the coast and run North into Canada so turning this cruise into a Canada cruise runs the risk they are then stuck in it or again cutoff from the US Mainland.  South is the least of all evils.  

It's too far away to begin worrying about potential impacts to next cruises.  I'm sure James would love a bigger and more accurate crystal ball but mother nature has a wicked sense of humor.    

17 hours ago, Tim B. said:

I am curious as I am very new to cruising. When Hurricanes are threatening an area that you are going to are the Cruise Lines vigilant about updating passengers prior to cruising? Or do you have to travel to the port location and then find out you are stuck?

Cruises are rarely cancelled due to storms, more often rerouted.  With rerouting it can be extremely last-minute due to the unpredictability of the storms and reluctance of the lines to make changes unless absolutely necessary.  Rerouting can be as small as a single stop changing or being replaced with a sea day, a fairly significant change such as an Eastern Caribbean cruise becoming a Western Caribbean cruise, or an extreme I have seen was a Caribbean cruise turned in to a Canadian cruise in October.  Cruise ship captains are generally good at avoiding storms and sailing around them, though the exceptions will always make the news making it seem like it is more common than it really is.

Cancelling a cruise is usually because a hurricane is pointed directly at the port of embarkation.  Cruise lines do what they can but sometimes the options are limited and not palatable to anybody.  Trip insurance is always a good idea, doubly so during hurricane season.  Also be sure to have the means of arranging and paying for alternative lodging and/or travel if you end up stuck somewhere with flights cancelled.  It might be covered under trip insurance, but that is usually after the fact.

Looks like Royal made the right call...and they were very fair with their compensation as a result..so I will give them credit when its due!

Be thankful your not on NCL..they sent their Bermuda cruse to Atlantic Canada where the past cpl nights its been 40 over night and a daytime high of 60....now this weekend coming we are back up to feeling like 95.....such is Sept up this way!

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Be thankful your not on NCL..they sent their Bermuda cruse to Atlantic Canada where the past cpl nights its been 40 over night and a daytime high of 60....now this weekend coming we are back up to feeling like 95

While I know this is a possibility when you book a cruise during hurricane season (and live on an island that gets hit with hurricanes) UGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Nothing wrong with Canada but who wants 40's or 60's when you're supposed to be in Bermuda!!!

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, ellcee said:

While I know this is a possibility when you book a cruise during hurricane season (and live on an island that gets hit with hurricanes) UGHHHHHHHHHHHH. Nothing wrong with Canada but who wants 40's or 60's when you're supposed to be in Bermuda!!!

I would much rather have the Northeast and Canada route replacing Bermuda than Nassau. Just another case of different preferences.

43 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

I would much rather have the Northeast and Canada route replacing Bermuda than Nassau. Just another case of different preferences.

But when you were planning for sandy beaches and hot weather and you see rocky seaside and maple syrup...

At the end of the day, I'm glad every one on the ships was safe and away from the storm.  Days on the cruise beats out days at work any day. 

How much time did the cruise line  provide their passengers of the itinerary change?  Would insurance cover the costs of purchasing appropriate clothing?

Just now, jurrjurr said:

But when you were planning for sandy beaches and hot weather and you see rocky seaside and maple syrup...

At the end of the day, I'm glad every one on the ships was safe and away from the storm.  Days on the cruise beats out days at work any day. 

How much time did the cruise line  provide their passengers of the itinerary change?  Would insurance cover the costs of purchasing appropriate clothing?

If memory serves me --- they were told on Friday the 7th (they lest on Saturday the 8th) --- if was definitely pretty last minute