• Playmakers Sports Bar
    • A New Venue
  3. 3. Will It Get An Escape Room

This poll is closed to new votes

My invoice reads:

Cruise Fare $776

Taxes and fees $104.82

Total cruise cost $880.82

I received a $290 FCC to use against another cruise.  My calculator makes that a 37% FCC, not the 50% FCC they put in the letter.  

Apparently they are saying that on top of the $104.96 of published taxes and fees, there are $196 in hidden taxes and fees.  Therefore my actual cruise fare is $580 resulting in a 50% FCC of $290.  Who knew about secret taxes and fees?

I booked this as a B2B.  The 2/24 sailing followed by the 3/1 sailing.  I have no choice but to rebook my airfare and hotel to make the 3/1 cruise now on short notice.   

Cost to change flight was $223.96 which they won't cover because it's Southwest because Southwest doesn't charge change fees.  They charge the difference in airfare but Royal won't cover that, it's not a "change fee".  However to sail on the 3/1 cruise I have no choice but to pay $223.96 to make that cruise now.   Cost to rebook my hotel room on short notice resulted in a $67 increase.  

Total out of pocket $290.96.  

If I book another cruise I'll recover that using the 37% FCC and break even.

If I don't book another cruise, I'm out $290.96.

I'm not really in the mood to promote Royal Caribbean at the moment so I won't be live blogging or scoping on the 3/1 cruise, assuming they don't cancel that one too, extending my losses even further.  

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not really in the mood to promote Royal Caribbean at the moment so I won't be live blogging or scoping on the 3/1 cruise, assuming they don't cancel that one too, extending my losses even further.  

I was hoping you were going to 'scope as you just recently were on the Navigator before her dry dock.

If you change your mind, I look forward to watching your first impressions on the changes!   

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

Right now, I'm out a hotel room in FLL that I won't be able to use (prepaid - no refunds). I've asked them to cover my flights since I won't use them, but I'm not holding my breath. I hope my travel insurance will cover them. If I'm out $750 in flights, then I definitely won't ever set foot on an RC ship.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

My invoice reads:

Cruise Fare $776

Taxes and fees $104.82

Total cruise cost $880.82

I received a $290 FCC to use against another cruise.  My calculator makes that a 37% FCC, not the 50% FCC they put in the letter.  

Apparently they are saying that on top of the $104.96 of published taxes and fees, there are $196 in hidden taxes and fees.  Therefore my actual cruise fare is $580 resulting in a 50% FCC of $290.  Who knew about secret taxes and fees?

I booked this as a B2B.  The 2/24 sailing followed by the 3/1 sailing.  I have no choice but to rebook my airfare and hotel to make the 3/1 cruise now on short notice.   

Cost to change flight was $223.96 which they won't cover because it's Southwest because Southwest doesn't charge change fees.  They charge the difference in airfare but Royal won't cover that, it's not a "change fee".  However to sail on the 3/1 cruise I have no choice but to pay $223.96 to make that cruise now.   Cost to rebook my hotel room on short notice resulted in a $67 increase.  

Total out of pocket $290.96.  

If I book another cruise I'll recover that using the 37% FCC and break even.

If I don't book another cruise, I'm out $290.96.

Yep the cruise fare actually consists of two components the regular fare and the NCCF (I beleive thats Non Commisionable Cruise Fare) their standard practice is to not discount the NCCF. I know this from 1) running into the same thing after Adventure and 2) doing a couple of group bookings where they contractually break it apart since they do all kinds of "group perk" things based on "Cruise fare" which excludes the NCCF.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:06 PM, Rose City Cruiser said:

Insurance would have taken care of the non-refundable expenses that RCL would not cover for. 

Fun part is trying to determine what clause in the policy would cover the event. When the Empress refurb got pushed back I was able to change ships at the cost of an airfare difference plus change fee. When I put my claim in I used the mechanical breakdown and travel delay clauses. Was denied by the initial screening but approved when reviewed.

On 2/15/2019 at 3:33 PM, Rose City Cruiser said:

The reality is there is not enough consumer protection in the travel industry.  A lot of weight is put onto the consumer to purchase their own insurance policy and even that is poorly regulated.  Often the policy wordings are written in a way that the general public cannot interpret.  Travel agents are selling travel insurance policies they themselves are not able to interpret and rely on E&O insurance to cover the few cases against them.   

In an ideal world Royal would want you to have their insurance and use their flight booking service. Always great seeing the line if flights are booked with Air2Sea you're covered. Everyone else, here is your $200 or $300 and buzz off.

Best part is the entire we only cover the change fee. Jumping back to my Empress fiasco it would have been cheaper out of pocket to buy a new one way ticket than change fee plus airfare difference. However the airfare difference was less than a new ticket.

In the end all I got from Royal was a change fee refund, some OBC, and my booking move to Majesty that left the same day and got back a day later (reason for the flight change). Did get to see Empress when Majesty had to skip CocoCay and we anchored just outside of Freeport due to some planned maintenance.

I'm still mulling over the reduction in FCC because I used a travel agent.  If booked direct you would get 50% FCC.  Because I used a TA I only get 37% FCC.  

Granted it's only a $98 difference but it's the whole sleazy way it's being calculated base on some secret figure I can't determine because I used a TA.

A user on CC claims he booked a non-suite cabin through Club Royale for only taxes and fees yet he is getting more than double my FCC.  Easiest return on gambling he has ever seen and he gets his taxes and fees back.  

The cancelation is easy enough to get over, ship happens.  It's the way they treat you through the process that illustrates how poorly they think of you.  

An update ... I spoke with an agent from RC earlier this afternoon and they are compensating me for our airfare. It helps that we were under the $200 per person limit for change fees (I caught a killer sale on Spirit), but an email and a couple of calls and it was taken care of. I kept calm and Catarina with Guest Services stepped up for us. Granted, it would have been nice not to have to ask for it back and have it offered, but, I'll take it. Hopefully, we'll finally set foot on a RC Ship next February 2nd. But, since this is our third go, I'd advise everyone to avoid the 2/2/20 sailing out of Galveston just to be on the safe side.

17 hours ago, tdcackler said:

An update ... I spoke with an agent from RC earlier this afternoon and they are compensating me for our airfare. It helps that we were under the $200 per person limit for change fees (I caught a killer sale on Spirit), but an email and a couple of calls and it was taken care of. I kept calm and Catarina with Guest Services stepped up for us. Granted, it would have been nice not to have to ask for it back and have it offered, but, I'll take it. Hopefully, we'll finally set foot on a RC Ship next February 2nd. But, since this is our third go, I'd advise everyone to avoid the 2/2/20 sailing out of Galveston just to be on the safe side.

Glad to hear you got things taken care of in your situation.  I still can't believe the bad luck you've had with bookings thus far, but hoping third time is the charm!

50 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Also Looks Like They Removed Pee A Boo Bridge And Put Jr. Suite Balcony In Its Place.

JS on the corners, regular balconies in the center. I've got one of the balconies booked in August for a bachelor party cruise.  No more Peak-a-boo and the gym has been moved aft so cabins occupy that space now.  Very different from the Mariner AMPING.  

Looks like there may be glass partitions to block the wind.  Peak-a-boo was often windy so I'm waiting for reviews and may move my balcony based on how the glass partitions work out.  Lot's of salt mist up there.  Peak-a-boo windows in the bridge are often layered with salt.   

20 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

What's wrong with this booking?

Sorry - my sarcasm got the best of me. Nothing is wrong with that sailing. The joke is that I've booked 2 RC cruises and RC cancelled both of them (one due to a ship going into dry dock and one due to a ship not coming out of dry dock). I joke that they must not like me very much. ?

11 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Nothing, it was tongue-in-cheek by tdcackler who's had 2 of his last cruises canceled, so he's teasing about being cursed and this is his next sailing.

Technically, my next sailing is in 5 days on Carnival out of New Orleans. In a remarkable stroke of luck, it seems that this ship is also going into dry dock, but they've already redone most of her rooms so, from what we've been led to believe by several sources, we'll actually have a fairly recently renovated cabin!

11 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Nothing, it was tongue-in-cheek by tdcackler who's had 2 of his last cruises canceled, so he's teasing about being cursed and this is his next sailing.

Just now, tdcackler said:

Sorry - my sarcasm got the best of me. Nothing is wrong with that sailing. The joke is that I've booked 2 RC cruises and RC cancelled both of them (one due to a ship going into dry dock and one due to a ship not coming out of dry dock). I joke that they must not like me very much. ?

Ok, I see...being new to the forum, I didn't catch the inside joke...thought it might be something I needed to be aware of.

If you don't mind me asking TD, which Carnival ship are you sailing?

Just now, tdcackler said:

The Triumph - soon to be renamed the Sunrise. We're sailing on the Liberty OTS next February ... unless my RCI luck comes back ?

I have never sailed on Carnival...always have been on Royal & Norwegian. I would be interested to hear your opinions of that cruise whenever you get back...just a number of people I know that cruise Carnival, did not readily enjoy it. 

On 2/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, Zambia-Zaire said:

I have never sailed on Carnival...always have been on Royal & Norwegian. I would be interested to hear your opinions of that cruise whenever you get back...just a number of people I know that cruise Carnival, did not readily enjoy it. 

Carnival is much more of a "ship dependent" experience ... their oldest ships are really very crappy ... their newest ships are IMO top notch. I wouldnt hesitate to sail on any of their most recent generation but would be very hesitant to accept a free cruise on the oldest generation. Dont have a lot of experience on the in-between ships to talk to though.

5 hours ago, Jaymac Radio said:

We Have Video Of The Work! 

Great video...I like watching that guy & very informative. I know, in general I asked before, just wondering, what's the rational in not amping other Voyager class ships similar to Navigator OTS, as well as, the Freedom class ships. Navigator is offering everything I want to see in a refurbished ship. I love the idea of Lime & Coconut 2-deck poolside bar & the reimaged "Resort Style" pool area.

Glad to see Navigator getting Playmakers(which is an idea I thought about when on the Boardwalk, on Oasis OTS, in 2016...not saying I had a hand in it or anything ?) and the Bamboo Tiki Bar(which I think should have been partially indoor/outdoor venue, closer to the Solarium...just my take). Neither less...good to see the ship coming into fruition. 

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

Carnival is much more of a "ship dependent" experience ... their oldest ships are really very crappy ... their newest ships are IMO top notch. I wouldnt hesitate to sail on any of their most recent generation but would be very hesitant to accept a free cruise on the oldest generation. Dont have a lot of experience on the in-between ships to talk to though.

I know Carnival Panorama debut at the end of the year & will port out of Long Beach...so chalk one up for the West Coast getting a "New Vessel" ?

11 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I know, in general I asked before, just wondering, what's the rational in not amping other Voyager class ships similar to Navigator OTS, as well as, the Freedom class ships. Navigator is offering everything I want to see in a refurbished ship. I love the idea of Lime & Coconut 2-deck poolside bar & the reimaged "Resort Style" pool area.

Keep in mind the process of refreshing a ship starts a long time before they pull into the dry dock.  Designing and planning the refreshment takes months.  Presenting a design will eventually lead to a design being accepted and finalized.   Money is budgeted.  Coordinating materials and getting them delivered on time then stored at the shipyard is itself a huge undertaking.  Planning the actual work takes incredible project management.  To accomplish it all in a matter of days is an incredible undertaking.  

What we see occurring on Navigator started in someone’s head years ago.  What we saw on Adenvrure started years before that.   

In planning and researching Adventure’s refreshment at some point it becomes set and fixed   Dry dock space is secured   Material is ordered   At that point they can’t change it anymore, it’s been set in motion even though it won’t occur for a year later.  However they continue to learn.  Partners like the water slide manufactures present new ideas.  Designers adapt.

It’s Mariner’s turn and they take lessons learned from Adventure and proceed with new ideas even though like Adventure it takes a year before it will be implemented.   

Every reshresh goes through this life cycle.  Indy’s turn and it is an evolution of past refreshments.

When they start on Navigator’s design on paper at this moment in time the other ships haven’t even been completed yet but the design and planning phase for Navigator commences using the lessons learned and concepts that grew out of the past designs but couldn’t be implemented because at some point in those timelines for past refreshments they had to say enough, this is the design now start executing and ordering material.

Months after Navigator’s design was presented and finalized, they begin to look towards the next ship’s design.   It will use concepts and ideas learned over time and will likely include more evolution.  The next ship after that will further evolve.   

Voyager will be amped in 2021 I think but someone right now is designing it on paper and soon or recently presenting the design for approval.   Money will be budgeted based on cost projections and the project will commence long before 2021.  

12 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I know, in general I asked before, just wondering, what's the rational in not amping other Voyager class ships similar to Navigator OTS, as well as, the Freedom class ships. Navigator is offering everything I want to see in a refurbished ship. I love the idea of Lime & Coconut 2-deck poolside bar & the reimaged "Resort Style" pool area.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Keep in mind the process of refreshing a ship starts a long time before they pull into the dry dock.  Designing and planning the refreshment takes months.  Presenting a design will eventually lead to a design being accepted and finalized.   Money is budgeted.  Coordinating materials and getting them delivered on time then stored at the shipyard is itself a huge undertaking.  Planning the actual work takes incredible project management.  To accomplish it all in a matter of days is an incredible undertaking.  

What we see occurring on Navigator started in someone’s head years ago.  What we saw on Adenvrure started years before that.   

In planning and researching Adventure’s refreshment at some point it becomes set and fixed   Dry dock space is secured   Material is ordered   At that point they can’t change it anymore, it’s been set in motion even though it won’t occur for a year later.  However they continue to learn.  Partners like the water slide manufactures present new ideas.  Designers adapt.

I'm curious if the ship's primary sailing locations also play a part in decisions about what will go into a given refurbishment, at least for major new features like water slides or some of the dining venue concepts. Adventure spends a good part of each year away from the Caribbean and Bahamas, and while it's not all of the year I can see where it could play a part. If the weather won't accommodate use of fancy new water slides for 2 or 3 months of the year, it becomes an expensive add-on that's just sitting unused while getting beaten up by the weather and incurring maintenance costs. And while a Playmakers type venue would work fine in just about any part of the world, a tiki bar might seem oddly out of place outside of the Caribbean or South Pacific.

47 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'm curious if the ship's primary sailing locations also play a part in decisions about what will go into a given refurbishment, at least for major new features like water slides or some of the dining venue concepts. Adventure spends a good part of each year away from the Caribbean and Bahamas, and while it's not all of the year I can see where it could play a part. If the weather won't accommodate use of fancy new water slides for 2 or 3 months of the year, it becomes an expensive add-on that's just sitting unused while getting beaten up by the weather and incurring maintenance costs. And while a Playmakers type venue would work fine in just about any part of the world, a tiki bar might seem oddly out of place outside of the Caribbean or South Pacific.

When it comes to water slides those are becoming an expected feature.  Royal being a family cruise line has to include water slides. 

Regardless of where a ship is based,  the sun will do what the sun does.  Maintenance of water slides would have been included in the financial projections of ongoing operational expenses just like applying new varnish to railings every two months or replacing the upholstery on the cushions used at the Sky Bar on any ship.  

Water slides are so important Harmony and Symphony were built with them.  Every refresh since Adventure includes water slides.  

Celebrity can get away without them - not expected for the target market.

For Royal the ongoing operational expenses of water slides would have been part of the project plan and budget that was approved.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

It appears I will be on Navigator for a 2-night shakedown cruise Feb 26. Expect a lot of updates!

"I've got no more PTO this year"

"I can't go on any more cruises this year because no more PTO"

"Wedding announced and I have no PTO"

"Shakedown cruise?  Did someone say shakedown cruise?"  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

"I've got no more PTO this year"

"I can't go on any more cruises this year because no more PTO"

"Wedding announced and I have no PTO"

"Shakedown cruise?  Did someone say shakedown cruise?"  

I swear I don't, and unlike @Lovetocruise2002 who says she isnt cruising for 8 years and then books 4 cruises, I'm telling the truth!