1. 1. Will The Navigator Get Sky Pad

2. 2. What New Food Venue Will Be Added

• Hooked SeaFood
    • Playmakers Sports Bar
    • A New Venue
  3. 3. Will It Get An Escape Room

This poll is closed to new votes

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:42 AM, twangster said:

Keep in mind the process of refreshing a ship starts a long time before they pull into the dry dock.  Designing and planning the refreshment takes months.  Presenting a design will eventually lead to a design being accepted and finalized.   Money is budgeted.  Coordinating materials and getting them delivered on time then stored at the shipyard is itself a huge undertaking.  Planning the actual work takes incredible project management.  To accomplish it all in a matter of days is an incredible undertaking.  

What we see occurring on Navigator started in someone’s head years ago.  What we saw on Adenvrure started years before that.   

In planning and researching Adventure’s refreshment at some point it becomes set and fixed   Dry dock space is secured   Material is ordered   At that point they can’t change it anymore, it’s been set in motion even though it won’t occur for a year later.  However they continue to learn.  Partners like the water slide manufactures present new ideas.  Designers adapt.

It’s Mariner’s turn and they take lessons learned from Adventure and proceed with new ideas even though like Adventure it takes a year before it will be implemented.   

Every reshresh goes through this life cycle.  Indy’s turn and it is an evolution of past refreshments.

When they start on Navigator’s design on paper at this moment in time the other ships haven’t even been completed yet but the design and planning phase for Navigator commences using the lessons learned and concepts that grew out of the past designs but couldn’t be implemented because at some point in those timelines for past refreshments they had to say enough, this is the design now start executing and ordering material.

Months after Navigator’s design was presented and finalized, they begin to look towards the next ship’s design.   It will use concepts and ideas learned over time and will likely include more evolution.  The next ship after that will further evolve.   

Voyager will be amped in 2021 I think but someone right now is designing it on paper and soon or recently presenting the design for approval.   Money will be budgeted based on cost projections and the project will commence long before 2021.  

Oh, I understand & am very familiar with the pre-planning, designing, & pre-fab process, of a project of this magnitude. However, the budgeting cost was announced a couple of years ago...which suggest the budgeting cost for the refurbishments, was long accounted for, before the orders(pre-fab) went in. Now I was only referring to the Resort style Pool area & the Lime & Coconut 2-deck bar...as to why RCCL was not adopting the changes fleet wide for those two class of ships(Voyager Class & Freedom Class) versus the same outdated pool area these ships currently have. Royal may adapt these changes to their upcoming drydock schedule for those remaining ships; yet, I can't help but wonder why these particular changes was not implemented on Mariner OTS, Adventure OTS, & Independence OTS, given the budgeting cost & orders was finalize yrs ago? Those three ships has emerged not that long ago...if design was undated & ordered in midstream; those ship I would think, would be reschedule to later drydock date to accommodate those changes. The first drydock on the schedule may have then started with Navigator OTS, in this case for an example.    

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:03 AM, JLMoran said:

I'm curious if the ship's primary sailing locations also play a part in decisions about what will go into a given refurbishment, at least for major new features like water slides or some of the dining venue concepts. Adventure spends a good part of each year away from the Caribbean and Bahamas, and while it's not all of the year I can see where it could play a part. If the weather won't accommodate use of fancy new water slides for 2 or 3 months of the year, it becomes an expensive add-on that's just sitting unused while getting beaten up by the weather and incurring maintenance costs. And while a Playmakers type venue would work fine in just about any part of the world, a tiki bar might seem oddly out of place outside of the Caribbean or South Pacific.

You & twangster bring up a very good observation on the possible considerations & process, into the decision making, to these refurbishments. I'm just referring to the pool area & bar...which was the thesis of my original question a week or two ago or whenever that was on this thread. Neitherless, the pool area is considered standard part of the ship, which I think, has no baring on location. I simply hope they implement those changes on the remaining ships of those classes, in their future drydock schedule.  

5 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I can't help but wonder why these particular changes was not implemented on Mariner OTS, Adventure OTS, & Independence OTS, given the budgeting cost & orders was finalize yrs ago? Those three ships has emerged not that long ago...if design was undated & ordered in midstream; those ship I would think, would be reschedule to later drydock date to accommodate those changes. The first drydock on the schedule may have then started with Navigator OTS, in this case for an example.    

Adventure's dry dock was scheduled for 2016 but Hurricane Matthew blew through Freeport and caused the dry dock to be delayed.  Her refreshment was plotted before the Royal Amplified program was conceived.  They actually spread Adventure's updates over three smaller breaks in her cruise schedule and completed the last of them just last February.  

Keep in mind that Royal may purposely go with different features and designs so that the ships are not cookie cutter copies of each other.  If that was the case, why go on another cruise?  By keeping the ships slightly different it's easier to justify another cruise on another ship to experience the differences.  

Just now, Jaymac Radio said:

They Where Smart And Did Not Back Her In So That The Web Cam Can Not See The Water Slides

When she sails tomorrow she will have to use the turning basin.  On 3/1 she will be at terminal G so after the shakedown cruise they may park the same way so it's easier to slide her down to G after dropping the press off at A.

1 hour ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Just Read On CC That Later Today She Will Move To Terminal G. 

That was me that posted that over there, and I did get the information from the dock report.

I've checked the dock report a few times over the last few days and there have been a few changes made to it (arrival time for this morning and some text). I also couldn't understand why there was nothing about her leaving and coming back for the shakedown cruise.

Like you guys, I'll be watching the webcam later to see if she does move to Terminal G. :)

Btw... hello... this is my first post here :) I'm sailing on her in April and it's my first RCI cruise. I'm very excited and can't wait to see photos and periscope footage.

1 hour ago, CazV said:

Btw... hello... this is my first post here ? I'm sailing on her in April and it's my first RCI cruise. I'm very excited and can't wait to see photos and periscope footage.

Welcome to the friendly blog site.  There is very little of the snark and incivility here that you find on the “other” site.  Glad to have you here !

3 hours ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Just Read On CC That Later Today She Will Move To Terminal G. 

3 hours ago, twangster said:

We'll see.  The dock report may have been from before the shakedown cruise was announced.  That dock report has her moving to G and staying there until 3/1, not departing at all for a 2 day cruise.  Stay tuned at 6pm ET.

2077490177_nvpom.jpeg.74bc903d981fe33579715f8921adb436.jpeg

FWIW, my instructions from last week are to go to Terminal G for shakedown cruise. I certainly hope it's Terminal A!

The pool deck area looks quite different than even Marnier I find....looks like they have some "gazebo's" set up around the sun deck and pool deck?

And the mini gold looks small and crowded at the front of the ship. I think its at the front on Marnier as well but didn't seem to look that small? Hard to tell from pics of course.

15 hours ago, CazV said:

The dock report has been updated. She's now scheduled to move from Terminal A to Terminal G at 7.45pm this evening 

And it's now also showing her leaving at 7pm tomorrow evening and returning 6am on the 28th. 

Looking forward to your updates @Matt

Thanks, I was told we'd be at Terminal G so was wondering how that would work.  Also kind of happy for a late-ish sailaway. More time to ride slides this afternoon!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

The pool deck area looks quite different than even Marnier I find....looks like they have some "gazebo's" set up around the sun deck and pool deck?

And the mini gold looks small and crowded at the front of the ship. I think its at the front on Marnier as well but didn't seem to look that small? Hard to tell from pics of course.

The gazebos on deck 12 are a curiosity.   In bad weather the winds here can be ferocious, curious they would place gazebos here.  At the same time it does give folks who would otherwise shelter under the cover of deck 11 to avoid the sun another place to hangout.  Interesting experiment.

Mariner retains the tiered seating for Gold Card in the standard Voyager/Freedom class layout.  This will be the first 'Suite Sun Deck' for these classes.  In some ways it's more like the Oasis or Quantum class Suite Sun Deck - further away from the heart of pool deck but in the general vicinity.  I wonder if it will have it's own bar or perhaps dedicated waitstaff.