Travel Docs Question - Need Help!

Lindsay

My friend is going on a cruise with wife.  They do not have passports.  They have a Texas Drivers License of course and plan on bringing with them their marriage license and birth certificates.  Here is the issue he is concerned about:  His wife's married name does not match her birth certificate name (obviously).  Her previously married name is reflected on their marriage licence.  Hence, it does not tie with her birth certificate.  They cannot find her divorce decree that reflects her maiden name which matches her birth certificate.  They sail 9/23.

Please help with this.  Are they okay?  Should they require other documentation?  Thoughts?  Thank you!

Here is a link to the RC page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation  .  I included the following paragraph to make it a bit easier.  Sounds like she may need to track down the lawyer and/or court to find the divorce decree (which she would need anyways if she ever wanted a passport).

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

So, you have about 3 weeks.  You can file for "expedited" passport handling for an extra fee.  I suggest you go this route, but if you do, better hop on it today.  If you have the correct documentation to submit with your passport application, and pay for expedited handling, you can get it in well under 2 weeks.

There is a passport renewal office in Houston. Make an appointment online and then show up with your documentation and proof of travel within two weeks. Pay the fees and hopefully, you can walk away with the passport. My daughter has done this at the Tucson office several times in an emergency.

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

This is kind of confusing to me:

" US Citizens need a copy of their official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, "  ... I have a passport - do I also need my Birth Certificate as well? That doesn't seem right, but that's pretty much what it says.

If you have a passport, you don't need a Birth Certificate. I have never had an issue just bringing my passport. 

No one has put it bluntly but if you (your friends) have a passport then should there be an issue while out of the country it will be much easier.  It is pretty easy to find people on this board and other that say even though you can travel on ID or birth certificate it is best to have the passport.  So another vote for get the passports here! 

Funny side note on this topic.  My wife has been watching a FB thread about some folks that made the decision to get on a closed loop cruise with only drivers liscences.  They either didn’t plan well enough and took too many risks and are “stuck” in the Bahamas.