Radiance of the Seas, Alaska Southbound 8/31/18

twangster

Day 4 - Skagway

We arrived on time and settled into our position on the pier with the sun trying to rise above the surrounding mountains.  

TveDnvV.jpg

8StyoGw.jpg

As expected Explorer was behind us.

HtcpvoM.jpg

Breakfast in the Windjammer with the type of incredible views you only get in Alaska.

gfa0iqG.jpg

The White Pass and Yukon Route train is a popular excursion so very convenient since the railroad owns the pier and drives the train right to the ship.  

sLzM500.jpg

I had no no excursion booked having the train last year and a different excursion in June.  I wanted to check out the Gold Rush Cemetery and with good weather it looked like this would be the day to do it.  Before heading out I did a quick scope from the ship:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1gqGvXnwzzAxB

For anyone who didn't buy the train excursion prior to causing they have ticket booths set up just outside of the secure pier area.

zEGYwCx.jpg

You can walk to town or for $2 each way ($5 all day pass) you can take a SMART bus (Skagway Municipal and Regional Transit).  It picks up not far from the pier.

uKfKvpK.jpg

The 20 minute walk is easy so that is what I usually do.

1geqlf1.jpg

igCygkZ.jpg

KoN8JC3.jpg

This connects to a small river walk or you head straight into town.

CvFdtcU.jpg

At this point with the blue sky and old train parked near town I decided to scope when I discovered I left my phone on the ship.  Forty minutes later I picked back up from this same spot.

VNh3hne.jpg

You can drive to Skagway from the lower 48 and Canada so there are other tourists in town.  A campground near the river above is popular in the summer.  Those folks wanting to ride the train would use the regular train station in town.

buEzOva.jpg

EUNhxpc.jpg

A large portion of the area is part of Klondike National Historic Park.

WezhL0V.jpg

My mission was to reach the Gold Rush Cemetery just outside of town.  I scoped my walk through town, or at least part of it:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1OdKrpRkeleJX

After walking through town to the railroad yard and workshop:

PvlA3Q8.jpg

The cemetery is on the other side another 1/2 mile up a dirt road.

4u9SvlM.jpg

The carcass of an old locomotive long out of service:

slEgFRU.jpg

TswRJF6.jpg

OZ3Llmg.jpg

A few trains rattled past.

1tKnUjH.jpg

Skagway - Gold Rush Cemetery

TzAdaoe.jpg

A large parking lot for those who take an excursion or who drive their own car.  Toilets near the parking lot. 

O2mxEzC.jpg

1tXCUy3.jpg

"Streetcars" drove past me as I walked here on the dirt road.  

6f4uNmZ.jpg

The cemetery was primarily used during the era of the 1898 gold rush but there we a few burials over the next few decades after that.

n6UCZal.jpg

kCJdxGs.jpg

UL3reNV.jpg

0L9dZiv.jpg

Frank Reid played a prominent role in Skagway's history.  When I first arrived the Streetcar guide was giving a talk to her tour about Frank's interaction with 'Soapy' Smith that led to both of their deaths in a shoot out.

mZCDbFi.jpg

Continuing through the small cemetery takes you to a trail to Lower Reid Falls.

DoUYHp1.jpg

Skagway - Lower Reid Falls

Continuing the trail through the cemetery leads to you in the direction the falls.

RqkYEic.jpg

Five minutes up the trail you start hearing rushing water and eventually you see the falls.

SEqSKfO.jpg

4vPj525.jpg

mLibz1v.jpg

This is very enjoyable area and a few people came and went but it was never crowded.

A short video approaching the falls:

Returning back towards the parking lot you have two trails you can follow.  The one I came up through the cemetery or the left trail that bypasses most of the cemetery.

AYlHmFv.jpg

DaSZ64f.jpg

Another train sounded it's horn so I took some video and scoped from area:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1YqKDQymlmVGV

SXKtLQP.jpg

FAF4l0f.jpg

Video of the train:

From here I walked back out to the main road and a bridge over the Skagway River.

fA6zVy4.jpg

ZtC8DsU.jpg

I walked back to town along the edge of the river.

At least as far as I could as the river runs past the end of the runway for the airport which is fenced off.

ed0kIwj.jpg

Dfg6Ikq.jpg

At this point I walked down the residential side streets of Skagway to get back to the main strip.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Skagway - Lower Reid Falls

RadianceAK-Day4-45.jpg.402610dea601c92d73b11642156570db.jpg

At this point I walked down the residential side streets of Skagway to get back to the main strip.

@twangster Sounds like you have a good internal compass. Does the moss grow on the north side of the trees in Alaska? It's my first navigation tool (after the sun) in our woods. 

2 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

@twangster Sounds like you have a good internal compass. Does the moss grow on the north side of the trees in Alaska? It's my first navigation tool (after the sun) in our woods. 

I'm not sure this far North.  A great question for the Park Rangers.  They have a office on the main drag.  When I stopped in they were giving a daily briefing to a group of hikers about to set out on their way up to Canada.

Skagway - continued...

By this time it was approaching 1pm and I was getting hungry (and thirsty).  My walk back to town led me to the Skagway Brewing Co.

oDHeKe9.jpg

OSzqOCB.jpg

WOgMuTm.jpg

The Alaskan Sandwich:

xghPB54.jpg

Quite tasty.

hbJPpLr.jpg

A couple of the Chilkoot IPA went down nicely as well.

While Skagway does have tourists by ferry and roads (beyond cruise ships) the bartender mentioned that in the evenings after the ships have left it's quite a party town for the young men and women who work the tourist trade.  Most of them work here for the summer then return South in October.

Skagway - continued...

While in town I found a small museum on the edge of town near the train tracks.

Admission $2.  

zJXyTgu.jpg

I was welcomed in and informed I could take pictures.  

UfbeRsZ.jpg

RydSikU.jpg

GewvenX.jpg

LZq9DZj.jpg

DosmN45.jpg

Bear!

UrDoJFE.jpg

Zsr50d2.jpg

FlWXI3a.jpg

White Pass had it's own airline for a while.

7wUD3Pd.jpg

With a map like this no wonder everyone thought gold was abundant and all you had to do was bend over and pick it.  This is what led to the Klondike gold rush of 1898.  There's gold everywhere!

L0Z0jZm.jpg

The reality was a little different.

r5vsD0F.jpg

Now I understand why the railroad built and owned the pier:

EE9PsA9.jpg

9kxAnMU.jpg

Outside they have an old locomotive on display right beside the active train tracks.

Vh7lJOH.jpg

9WYdx8k.jpg

The museum is all on the 1st floor and not large by any stretch but it was full of history, some native, some gold rush and some war time.  It was $2 and money well spent leaving me with memories I'll bring back on my next trip to Skagway. 

Skagway - continued...

I walked through town and shopped some local arts shops and picked up a couple of locally made coasters.  With that I started back towards the ship.  

I was keeping an eye out for the Dewey Lake trail system and found a sign near the train crossing not far from the ship.

4rEiEUd.jpg

YOBLUrh.jpg

Time:  3pm

5RsOsqh.jpg

View of the town, or towards the town as the trees are blocking the town itself.  You can sort of make out the train tracks directly below me.

apJi14k.jpg

Basically you are climbing the ridge beside the ship but staring on the gentler side of it.

N2cWiln.jpg

Most of the gain in elevation occurs along the beginning of the trail.  I was regretting those beers at lunch.  Slow and steady. 

Once "up top" there wasn't as much vertical and switch backs.

First I came along a small reservoir.

eBQCKq6.jpg

The water surface was very still so there were great reflections.

EchW1ob.jpg

I kept going and came to the lower lake.

s0kZUKx.jpg

D3vYjZa.jpg

On this side of the lake the trail was well established and packed.

kDdJKms.jpg

Venturing around the end of the lake there are several small streams running through the woods.

ml6uvGV.jpg

For some reason I decided to go for the loop around the lake.

At first this wasn't too bad.

OKwUwFR.jpg

As I continued around the lake the trail became more rugged.

awZoY1N.jpg

This only lasted for a short while before the trail became better defined.

lbEPvpc.jpg

FW6KaKL.jpgThe trail doesn't always allow views of the lake but when it did it looked spectacular.

PCUOuzB.jpg

vbIJ5BS.jpg

Near the end of the lake was another picnic area.

q7HJAi1.jpg

UmVFeXb.jpg

I noticed rails nearly covered in the dirt.  At one point this was an active mining area.  To think this was all done by hand up here on the top of this hill.  Incredible.

EDV3Bdp.jpg

Time 4:38pm

I was definitely growing tired.  It was a long day of walking and hiking.  However I was just beginning the turn around the lake's other end and making my way back to the beginning where the trail up the hill first placed me.  Diamond happy hour had started, time to crank it up. 

One last panoramic before I make haste and speed up.  Alaska really is beautiful.

j9g1AcR.jpg

vB5O4pQ.jpg

Phew... back around the lake, down the hill and to the pier!

8LJOMEc.jpg

Thirteen miles in just over 8 hours including stops for the cemetery, lunch, museum and lower Dewey Lake.  

Time 5:19pm. 

My walk today:

kgkVV0s.jpg

Cemetery at the top

Dewey lake near the bottom and the ship in the bottom left.

And... back in time for my 5:45pm My Time dining reservation - after a cold beer and a shower.

Skagway - Klondike Gold Rush National Park 

National Park Website:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Entrance Fees:

Entry Fee - $0.00

Entry to Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park is free. Some services, such as a hiking permit for the Chilkoot Trail or camping have associated fees.

Another good planning site http://skagway.com/

Trail map from skagway.com website:

Skagway-Trail-Map.pdf

32 minutes ago, twangster said:

RadianceAK-Day4-76.jpg.bbaba0f380b3b7e9fb906b8c8e156827.jpg

RadianceAK-Day4-77.jpg.a1f5739a74d02e2147e015837cdcff8e.jpg

As I continued around the lake the trail became more rugged.

RadianceAK-Day4-78.jpg.7481072d82479a067f9ce7870eb5ce83.jpg

This only lasted for a short while before the trail became better defined.

RadianceAK-Day4-79.jpg.c713b9a7864e6fa7622341047f02a2d7.jpg

Hi @twangster Sorry to report but the majority of pics in the last non-food pic post didn't "stick". Above is a sample. Very much enjoying your posts today!

Day 4 - Evening

I jumped in the hot tub to soothe my aching legs after two days of a lot of walking and hiking.  After that I ventured out to the helipad to capture sail away.  Explorer was already on the move.

I scoped it of course:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1BRJjeXozZRGw

kxnzC2D.jpg

Soon after we began our departure.

Day 5 - Icy Strait Point

Scheduled stop 7:00am to 2:30pm

Icy Strait Point is native owned and operated by the Huna Totem Corporation.  All profits go into the local community.  Part of the charter in operating a cruise port is to limit it to one ship at a time.  Often ships will split the day, one taking an early shift then another ship will take the second shift.  With long Alaskan summer days this works.  

Hoonah is the name of the nearby village and originally this was the site of the Honnah Packing Company in the 1930s.  The cruise port operated by tender when it opened in 2004 being used by Royal and Celebrity.  With success proven other lines began to call here.  A zip line was added in 2007.  In 2016 they added a floating pier and several new buildings. 

You won't find any diamond stores or other typical stores like in most other Alaskan ports and that is one of the things I like about ISP.  It's location is prime whale watching territory and some excursions guarantee a sighting.

We arrived to fog like low hanging clouds shrouding the port.

3HauCRU.jpg

They had a nice fire waiting for us.

gH1REy0.jpg

wt8PYaa.jpg

The clouds grew thicker.  This can happen this time of year due to the 'warm' waters and cooler air temperatures.

YCloaF9.jpg

I had booked the "Early Bird Zip Line" which meant early times in the morning.  The additional discount I received now made sense.  At the other end of these zip lines is a mountain somewhere up there.  My zip line time was 7:30am.  Who needs coffee to wake up when you can zip?

VYeRZky.jpg

I had a few minute to kill so I wandered around close to the Duck Point Smokehouse and Adventure Center where some excursions meet.

oUYgqYg.jpg

7kXuMEG.jpg

jE02FO1.jpg

YI6g7gp.jpg

I signed my waivers electronically on the tablets in the building and waited for our guide.  At 7:30am she led us outside to a bus that would make the 45 minute drive up the mountain.

Immediately after leaving the port area we saw some deer on the road.

CKLMrDb.jpg

TJJedmI.jpg

A few minutes through town and we hit the dirt road to the top.  "Free back massage" they joked.  It wasn't that bad.

GA3WhbO.jpg

Our driver wore a microphone and narrated the drive.  We stopped at several lookout spots to see we were above the clouds.  

UZj7dfy.jpg

54ugRBT.jpg

L51fYx6.jpg

Once at the top we had to walk down a hill toward the zip line.  Our drive warned us, watch out for the bear scat.  

DayBHoW.jpg

An easy walk downhill but too steep for the bus that would likely struggle to make it back up.

E8AGlyX.jpg

s24t6rJ.jpg

Finally we made it to the zip line station.  

TfZQlsI.jpg

Here are some pictures from my GoPro. 

You sit in a chair like harness and put your feet against a gate.  When it's time the gate flies open and away you go.

KjETqFc.jpg

3gralFV.jpg

uaum6vS.jpg

mp7Vltc.jpg

q32xhWw.jpg

Here is the video:

I actually enjoyed flying into the clouds.  It was a very unique experience. 

The clouds were breaking a little, maybe.  I headed back to the ship to get my good camera.   

The restaurant and bar didn't serve until 10am but they were open for us to walk into.

mfq1rlw.jpg

fbatbkn.jpg

FTD7zjo.jpg

DfTi6Kr.jpg

We started seeing hints of blue sky.

9kNTdNI.jpg

I started walking towards the old packing building.

EqYLF7I.jpg

Tj7LQZe.jpg

LR2bWR5.jpg

9vpKK8g.jpg

More blue sky!  Looking better!

qW8lzXZ.jpg

mizJSvz.jpg

R2vywgz.jpg

0WqWlib.jpg

They have some of the old buildings set up as a museum with old packing equipment on display.  Part of the building contains different local artists and stores.

M9zUPko.jpg

GtAcnXU.jpg

UoencUH.jpg

uaWmdwG.jpg

5zy5sy6.jpg

KmpzxJR.jpg

4gfTqZu.jpg

LzSU0im.jpg

I was starting to get hungry (and thirsty) and ordered some lunch and a beer to enjoy the very blue sky.

zj28VNV.jpg

XLjwvV9.jpg

D8AbLvt.jpg

J0x6Ot9.jpg

Not a bad place to eat lunch.

hOiPNMn.jpg

QoJzCab.jpg

Inside I ordered a Halibut Sandwich and a red ale.  They handed me an electronic tracker that i placed on the black mat on the table.  With this they were able to find me.    

KJ7bFVs.jpg

It was very good and the beer tasted great while looking out at the water and blue sky.

Time 11am.

The restaurants have free wifi that is limited to one hour.  My phone had 3G coverage which was fine for most needs, except scoping.  So I scoped from the restaurant:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1ynJOYOdPZkKR

After my early lunch I made my way back to get some pictures with the blue sky.

MHMOBT6.jpg

QtbGiJ9.jpg

These are private residences.  Maybe grounds keepers for ISP?

qdT170H.jpg

The wooden pillars have small Inukshuks on top of them.  I couldn't resist taking some pictures of them.

VBlk7dd.jpg

mEnnSBn.jpg

qU3fRpS.jpg

What a difference on a clear sunny day makes.

2cOjK8J.jpg

U0kOJwm.jpg

0PKYa3l.jpg

dXOKs1S.jpg

There is a short nature walk that starts near the Adventure Center and runs through the woods then along the water in front of the ship.  It's well packed and accessible.  I did see a guided tour was available that I presume uses the golf cart type shuttles that are used on the pier.  That path is very wide.

FWNxp4j.jpg

zA8bYfb.jpg

J6gzNXT.jpg

2BM2quk.jpg

LTQnbSr.jpg

GkuyZ3E.jpg

Inside the main building you first enter is a small store.  

ztmsd4Y.jpg

Its quite nice inside and also serves as the excursion meeting point for some of the excursions.  

9QHyUSw.jpg

The ladies in red shirts are the excursion desk.  Just in front of them are a series of tablet stations where you can sign waivers electronically and have a copy emailed to you.  Very professional. 

The pier walkway is covered in case it's raining (it's Alaska, it rains).

gr4MW2s.jpg

They have a shuttle for those that need it with a covered waiting area on the pier.

HNxsnbA.jpg

All in all they did a great job on the 2016 renovation.

The blue sky was too much for me and I had to ask.  How much for a do-over on the zip line?  The girl gave me a break on the price and my 1pm zip line time was set.  She warned me it was the last zip of the day and they need a few more guests to operate it.  They guaranteed my return to the ship well before the 2:30pm all aboard.

1pm arrived at the waiting area in the building and I counted more than six.  Houston, we have lift off.

uhDQYEL.jpg

The bus drive this time yielded much better views, both near the port and in the mountains.  

eErPxHO.jpg

AY76Am4.jpg

Our driver spotted a deer and stopped the bus.

CJXQbBw.jpg

3EbJnJU.jpg

uPWJxPx.jpg

nuVo9zE.jpg

VNyHWsx.jpg

A fellow victim zip rider.

AGJYgrC.jpg

gq3iGa7.jpg

IKKnYWx.jpg

lJvTjjf.jpg

SiI7DeV.jpg

UaBFueo.jpg

fqnlLy1.jpg

Video, of course:

What a ride!  What a view!

Time 1:55pm.

With 35 minutes left there was time to enjoy the outdoor patio at the restaurant.  I mean the ship is right there...

PK8sRsq.jpg

vBv8LJa.jpg

zZMQDbv.jpg

WCZbvUh.jpg

Beer time.

E2fnM9y.jpg

I loved ISP last year and I really enjoyed it again this year.  This port never seems to make it on the Seattle round trip itineraries despite being very close to Juneau and South of Skagway.  I like this port enough I may cancel my 2019 Ovation booking and look at doing another one-way.  The friends I will cruise with next year will definitely enjoy this port.  It's uniquely Alaskan without the commercialization yet with modern luxuries, great food and very friendly locals.

I think I mentioned that ISP is located in a prime whale watching area which means our sail away could yield some whale sightings.  Time for the helipad.  

The view from my office:

BCSGinZ.jpg

6MwIssL.jpg

4zmNmp3.jpg

Notice the glacier in the distance?  More on that later.

UaM85Go.jpg

UZ5WCsx.jpg

XXuiZy8.jpg

AApCEpR.jpg

Many Alaska communities are landlocked - no roads in or out.  Alaska boasts the "Maritime Highway".  A number of car/passenger ferries that have scheduled service between communities so you can drive along the Maritime Highway.  Here is one of them in the distance.  

98Al3er.jpg

Several whales were spotted in the distance but too far away to get a decent photo, that is until this one popped up just off the helipad port side, about 30 yards out.

Ist7gWB.jpg

oPEF0Zg.jpg

It was a little stingy with it's fluke, not giving us a nice full view but some whales roll that way.

idOTBlN.jpg

In the distance we could see several water spouts.  A sizable pod was swimming a mile or so away.  There must have been eight or more taking turns spraying water into the air.

9AErdCr.jpg

If you are going to whale watch on the sail away from ISP you might want gloves and a hat.  With a slight wind it was a little chilly.

Since I had Voom I looked at a map and sure enough Juneau was straight ahead on the other side of Admiralty Island that sat between us.  As suspected that is Mendenhall Glacier in the distance.  

5tWtw4j.jpg

Oh my, you do have a talent to part people with their money. First the dslr and corresponding photography courses and now I'll have to look into Alaska cruises rather sooner than later ? Pics and blog are brilliant as always!

Btw is the accumulation of bear photos a nod to a naughty bear  in a certain FB group?

Day 6 - Ketchikan

Known for it's rain, Ketchikan didn't disappoint.  I stepped outside after a Windjammer breakfast... and got wet.  I can't complain though as this is the first measurable rain we've had so far.

Pi56Ejz.jpg

d40jmai.jpg

Today's excursion is The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

I saw this offered last year on Celebrity Millennium but opted for a Misty Fjords boat excursion.  Once onboard Mille last year I learned that Captain Dave Lethin and his wife Denene, owners of the Aleutian Ballad, would be sailing with us and giving a number of talks and Q&A sessions during the cruise.  Those became must attend presentations and listening to his stories and his wife's experiences holding down the fort at home while he fished were amazing.  If you ever meet any crab fisherman who has fished the Bering Sea, you will learn they have stories to tell.  I couldn't change my excursion last year at the last minute but vowed if I ever returned to Ketchikan I would do this excursion.  And so I did.

Looking down off deck 12 the Aleutian Ballad was tied up right beside us.

FzQDToj.jpg

Down to deck 5 for a closer look.

U2r3SOu.jpg

YF0dSDu.jpg

A quick scope while under the cover of the lifeboats on deck 5:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1YpKkLVLblXGj

It was raining pretty good so I put my waterproof case on my phone and left my good camera in the safe.  Rain coat engaged I made my way onto the pier and down to the Aleutian Ballad.

yiXc24Q.jpg

On board I found they had two live tanks with different marine life in each.  

kaiFoNv.jpg

pUJ4dwv.jpg

9BD6nhE.jpg

While still in port I did another quick scope from the Aleutian Ballad.

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1ypKdYOYnZvGW

Once all the guests were on board they did the mandatory Coast Guard safety briefings and we departed.  

The boat is set up specifically for this purpose.  During some of the talks on Millennium last year, Captain Dave talked about what an effort it became to transform a crabbing boat into an excursion boat.  The $900k budget quickly exceeded $2.5M.  The regulations to carry passengers are very different than those for a fishing boat. 

The boat is setup with an upper and lower viewing areas both of which are covered.  Ceiling mounted heaters keep passengers toasty warm on the lower level.  

kOfixge.jpg

An upper viewing area provides a different perspective.

c78wZtQ.jpg

There is an area where they do most of the demonstrations that at times is chained off to keep passengers away from the danger.  At times this area is opened up and we were free to explore it.  

On this rainy day you could have stayed in the shelter and warmth of the lower seating area but I chose to move around and explore more.

The Aleutian Ballad has a storied history even before it's appearance on the TV series "The Deadliest Catch".  The previous owner was fishing the Bering Sea in a storm when a rogue wave flipped the boat on its side.  When turned sideways the engines get no oil and shutdown for protection.  With no power, steering or propulsion and the boat laying on its side in storming seas in the black of night, the Captain gave the order to don survival suits and abandon ship.   A nearby fishing boat heard the mayday call and a few hours later picked up the crew and brought them back to Dutch Harbor.  Dejected having lost the boat,  after a few days the crew was stepping foot onto their plane for the ride home when the Coast Guard called and told them they had found the boat, still floating on it's side at sea.  With the storm past they went out with stand alone pumps, got the boat upright and limped it back to Dutch Harbor.  The first thing the owner did was buy a 4' x 8' piece of plywood and strapped to the boat in the dockyard with the words "For Sale" spray painted on it.  That's where Captain Dave enters the picture and shortly after the Aleutian Ballad's appearance in "The Deadliest Catch" in seasons 2 and 3.  

yqWD4Vd.jpg

kreoXyj.jpg

During a season of the Deadliest Catch the Aleutian Ballad encountered another rogue wave.   This time the boat righted itself.  You can see that clip here:

The Bering Sea is not for the weak.  

Soon enough the fishing demonstrations begin.

I scoped one of them:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1MnxnZNZpqoxO?t=2m2s

This led to a spot where they could throw fish which would be picked up by passing birds, including some Bald Eagles.  

Z6mTrJp.jpg

yC6pdk2.jpg

It was raining and my phone was safe in its waterproof case but case but boy was I missing my good camera.  Can you spot the Eagles in the frees?

DgXpjT2.jpg

There are four in this tree.

H0XKGX6.jpg

LmUUEPu.jpg

Sj5kdcW.jpg

9xIAcnj.jpg

mh23mpK.jpg

The fishing demonstrations continued and they discussed various approaches such as long lines and single pots.  

This bait bucket and the hooks are carefully arranged so that it can be fed into the sea very quickly without tangling..   

tYEKx86.jpg

fBkh3Ue.jpg

oEsxb4u.jpg

There are thousands of ways to die and many of them can be found on a crab boat.  This kind of fishing isn't for the faint of heart.  When setting a line of pots in 900' feet of water if you get tangled in the line you are going down.  At that point as they say, it's a matter of recovery, not rescue.

They retrieve a line of four crab pots that had been placed the day before.  In the real world a line could have hundreds of pots.

3rIDij9.jpg

T3SjzGe.jpg

pWOdsqu.jpg

UUmbHLS.jpg

This one contained a Pacific Octopus.

4savHX9.jpg

They talked about the Pacific Octopus and how it is the nemesis of the crab fisherman.  Once they find a crab pot they will return night after night and feed from it.  

14RtBzk.jpg

NK3WBRi.jpg

nLDXqoY.jpg

SAiLffE.jpg

ZxaA7gv.jpg

TTljxCd.jpg

Next they talk about Prawns and how they differ from Shrimp.  Those that were caught are passed around for us to hold before returning them into the sea.

5jxHfSI.jpg

They talk about the different kind of crab pots used to catch different crab.  

Here in the water close to Ketchikan you won't find King or Snow crabs but there are plenty of Box crabs.

K7wrVEm.jpg

The deck hands carry them around for all us to hold.

le7NisY.jpg

ScWMbnb.jpg

With instructions how to hold them so you don't get pinched.

Box crabs don't have a lot of meat and aren't something you'll find at any restaurant.

Snow crabs on the other hand...

y1yyqNW.jpg

1tqLIv5.jpg

4fYgPiE.jpg

BQF9MQx.jpg

These you do not hold by the body because they can reach you with their pinchers.  

UXnDiFh.jpg

Then there are the Golden King Crabs of Alaska.  They don't pass these around but the crew displays them for us (their pinchers can do some damage).

rw6ULgT.jpg

wYrRvPu.jpg

eG2ftZq.jpg

They talk about each and the characteristics of them.  How for example if a predator like an Octopus gets a hold of one leg, some can shed that leg to escape.  "Both go away happy" as they said, the Octopus gets a meal, the crab lives another day.  

fJwJ4RV.jpg

During all of this they tell stories of the experiences fishing.  It's quite a life.  After fishing for a few months its not unusual for a young man to receive a check for thirty or forty thousand dollars, his share of the take.  This contains no withholdings and many a young fishermen find themselves behind with the IRS and after a few seasons this can quickly grown into a monster sized debt with the IRS.  Those that grew up in a fishing family are taught this at an early age and those that listen set money aside for this purpose and avoid this trap.

hiqDCSj.jpg

We begin making our way back to Ketchikan.

iyjATDv.jpg

I scoped some of our return:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1MYxNqyyPNRJw

While scoping we pulled up beside the 'Time Bandit' - another crabbing boat featured in 'The Deadliest Catch'.  Since I was scoping I couldn't take pictures so here are some screen shots from that scope:

ncPTGYa.jpg

IgcFzkM.jpg

hDGHuls.jpg

That was a special bonus.

Now back to the pier where we started.

wjxqMcl.jpg

ER9rJ4X.jpg

IIay68k.jpg

PQZH5n6.jpg

On the Millennium last year Captain Dave told the story how the Aleutian Ballad ran aground one time.  The Captain he had hired that year fell asleep and the boat hit a rocky beach.  They managed to limp it back to harbor and get it out of the water at a dockyard.  Captain Dave flew in and met the insurance adjuster in the boatyard.  After inspecting the boat the adjuster told him "Okay, here is what we are going to do. First we are going to strip the keel off and we are going to put a brand new keel the length of your boat.  Next, you are going to find yourself a new insurance company".  Fishing is quite the life.  

To be fair, its very hard to articulate everything in this one post.  If you are a fan of the The Deadliest Catch or you just want to know more about crabs and fishing, this excursion is well worth the cost.

L4QTsn8.jpg

Ketchikan - continued...

After returning to the ship and getting a bite to eat I ventured back out to walk around Ketchikan.

fmgSKIH.jpg

NpreEEm.jpg

LKE5Bl3.jpg

I visited Creek Street last year and I like that it tends to have some local items beyond made in China fridge magnets.

lqPTF8d.jpg

Sometimes times referred to as the Creek Street mall there are a number of stores selling everything from interesting local artistry to cheap t-shirts from overseas. Not all the stores have local artwork but I managed to find some things this time as well.

In the earlier days of Ketchikan, Creek Street had a different purpose.  Maybe purpose isn't the right word, but it was known for a certain type of business.  Struggling for words, I'll let this sign on Dolly's House explain it:

RrkOlQ7.jpg

The peak of the annual Salmon spawning was just over but the remains of the event were still present and the gulls were eating very well on this day.

2mU4xmf.jpg

After spawning, Salmon die and the nutrients from their bodies become part of the life cycle of Alaska.

OQYFiNg.jpg

Bears, Eagles and gulls among other animals all eat well this time of year.

At the end of Creek Street is a small waterfall.

URyQkoi.jpg

lh9QGHn.jpg

My Creek Street scope:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1OwGWWOkvppGQ

I was hoping to repurchase some items from a native art store near the end of Creek Street that I bought last year.  Sadly they didn't have any left given that it is approaching the end of the cruise season in Alaska. 

With that it was back to the ship.

Djy1X6l.jpg

In this continuing series of how weather can change in Alaska, I present you Ketchikan in blue skies.

bIPOrCo.jpg

LA5Pnbx.jpg

tzoumGY.jpg

Time for a scope:

https://www.periscope.tv/thetwangster/1MYxNqyPegbJw

Time on the clock says 5:30pm.  All abroad!

855ypbD.jpg

With that our sail away began.

xRchy6F.jpg

CjqjiEU.jpg

b66enrG.jpg

RBVc8mP.jpg

0xgW5vv.jpg

EYEmDOF.jpg

4IefK9f.jpg

ISaJxzo.jpg

7qe0aUs.jpg

9odKXKK.jpg