Radiance of the Seas, Alaska Southbound 8/31/18

twangster

• 2 weeks later...

Twangster

Read through this entire thread last night and really enjoyed your photos and thoughts on your Alaska cruise.  I think we interacted last year when I was planning my first RCL cruise to Mexico and now I am thinking about Alaska, and like you for this cruise, somewhat a last-minute decision (if you call 6 months out last minute).  Thinking about taking this same trip in August 2019 (South bound, fly into Anchorage, train to Seward, fly back from Vancouver or Seattle).   My oldest goes to college in late August this might be our last great vacation before the "leaves the nest".   What are thoughts on pricing?  For a family of 4, I can get around $3200 total for this cruise leaving August 2nd (that is for an ocean view room).    Will it get any better or only worse -is there an optimal time to book this cruise?

Thanks for your thoughts

4 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

Twangster

Read through this entire thread last night and really enjoyed your photos and thoughts on your Alaska cruise.  I think we interacted last year when I was planning my first RCL cruise to Mexico and now I am thinking about Alaska, and like you for this cruise, somewhat a last-minute decision (if you call 6 months out last minute).  Thinking about taking this same trip in August 2019 (South bound, fly into Anchorage, train to Seward, fly back from Vancouver or Seattle).   My oldest goes to college in late August this might be our last great vacation before the "leaves the nest".   What are thoughts on pricing?  For a family of 4, I can get around $3200 total for this cruise leaving August 2nd (that is for an ocean view room).    Will it get any better or only worse -is there an optimal time to book this cruise?

Thanks for your thoughts

Thanks!

In my experience Alaska cruises just get more expensive over time.  Per person $800 doesn't sound too terrible for Alaska.  Sometimes, off peak in the shoulder season (May or September) a deal might pop up but those are not guaranteed and often don't materialize.   Otherwise, I suggest you consider either refundable rates or trying to firm up plans soon.   

Keep in mind Celebrity also will have a few ships doing similar itineraries.   My first Alaska cruise was on Celebrity, Southbound on Millennium.  Identical to Radiance ports of call.  Celebrity is also part of the RCCL family.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Twangster... I finally got around (although, I am still new here ... by just 30 days) to reading the trip report.  Wow.  It was amazing.

The time you put in for the photographs is beyond anything a person could ever ask for.  Awesome.  I especially like the pictures of the trees with the eagles in them.  I found them!

Thank you again.

• 7 months later...

Wow thanks so much for doing this blog of the cruise Twangster. My husband, son and I were on this cruise. It was a Bucket List Cruise for my husband's 50th. Wish we didnt live so far away (Australia) as we can definitely see why people go back again and again.

I saw a few pics of my hubby on your Gold Class Train from Anchorage to Seward pics which was awesome.

I think we were also on the same early morning zipline as you at ISP. I wish we had thought of inquiring about doing it again as well, as we all commented we felt we needed a second zip to fully absorb it all as it all goes by so fast.

Your photographs are truly breathtaking! What camera do you use?

@twangster loved reading this review. We are booked on the Serenade this summer and I was looking for a blog to get an idea of what to expect. Since Serenade is new to Alaska, I figured a review of her sister ship would be next best to get an idea of what to expect! Really enjoyed reading it and felt like we were right there with you. Even more excited now!

7 minutes ago, Brandfam4 said:

@twangster loved reading this review. We are booked on the Serenade this summer and I was looking for a blog to get an idea of what to expect. Since Serenade is new to Alaska, I figured a review of her sister ship would be next best to get an idea of what to expect! Really enjoyed reading it and felt like we were right there with you. Even more excited now!

Glad to hear this, thanks for the feedback.  I've sailed Serenade a few times in the Caribbean and was glad to see her head to Alaska.  It should be a great cruise!