Fishing Charters

Blackash6

Having now done 7 cruises with RCI and now about to embark on an 8th, I have had this discussion with other guests on several occasions who are of the same opinion. As a keen sea angler, I am surprised that the cruise line have not tapped into this potential money maker. Sailing into many of the worlds top fishing destinations, the oportunity to fish some of these spots is being missed by RCI. There is not even the need to hire local charter boats. The ships own life boats would suffice. An initial spend of a few grand on fishing gear by RCI would probably pay for iteself after one cruise, plus the added bonus of fresh fish for the kitchens. I am positive that many guests would avail of this service. I know I would and it would even encourage me to book other cruises with RCI knowing that they provided this service. Maybe worth considering?

I for one love the idea I have questioned many times why no fishing charters in these beautiful ports as a young man sailing the Caribbean on my uncles 83 ft island hopper I never remember a time we did not have several trolling feathers dragging behind the ship we always had an ample supply of mahi fresh as can be and when in port plenty of snapper and grouper nothing beats fresh fish on the grill I think it is time to drop a suggestion in the box by guest services on my next cruise

It might come down to customs regulations. Given that there are restrictions about bringing in foreign plants and other vegetable foodstuffs, they might not be allowed to store a fish caught and cleaned in the wild for "import" back to the US. Another possibility here is health regulations, in case they can't legally store caught and cleaned fish in the same freezers / refrigerator rooms as the foodstuffs packed on board for the sailing, due to risk of cross-contamination. If that were a factor, they'd need a separate freezer area to keep caught fish, which could be wasted space depending on the sailing and number of fishing charters actually booked.

Other reasons they might not do this could come down to logistics for distributing the fish to their owners once back in port; the port areas probably don't want a big table set aside with fish that's dripping all over the place as it thaws, and the passengers would then have to deal with getting it back to their homes in good condition. If it was going to be shipped via UPS / FedEx, now they have to deal with packing each fish in dry ice and a suitable container, meaning more space they have to set aside that would otherwise go to supplies for the trip. Plus getting it all packed and onto shipping vehicles, and timed in a way where it's delivered when the recipient or a neighbor / family member is actually home to receive it so it doesn't spoil.

If they don't have a realistic way to let passengers bring or ship their catches home, what are they supposed to do? They're not typically in port long enough for people to take it to a local restaurant for dinner, and I'm not aware of catch-and-release being a thing with deep sea fishing (but if it is, there you go...).

I think it just boils down to the cruise lines being unable to deal with the logistics in any kind of practical way that doesn't sacrifice the already limited space on board, and that would give the passengers who wanted this a good experience from start to finish.

I doubt fishing trips organised by the cruiseline would be on a scale that they would need to dedicate a particular cold storage space to. Also doubtful that guests would want fish shipped home (unless for trophy purposes) and even then, I`m sure a company of this size would have no trouble in organising it. I am aware of small cruise companies that have an organnised fishing itinerary where the guest keep one fish which is then cooked for them that evening. I think that the likes of RCI and other larger crusielines just haven`t thought it through or have had sufficent requests for the service. I still believe however, that if it were to become available, it would be very popular

FWIW, we are fishing every port during our Alaska south bound (July 2019), except for one. So that's 5 fishing excursions, 3 through Royal. Edit: we are fishing pre-cruise, as well. Depending on where we are fishing, the size, etc., we will be offered to keep, freeze, and ship. Can. Not. Wait!

Fishing in Labadee Dec 2019, and a private journey 6 hrs fishing excursion for St. Thomas

Something about utilizing a lifeboat for a fishing charter seems like it might violate some rules....I am imagining the bright orange color scheme is a signal to other vessels close by that an emergency has taken place. How is one to ever differentiate a true maritime emergency from a fishing trip? My guess is it’s a “no-go”

When we were in Alaska we talked to a couple that was going halibut fishing. We ran into them later that evening and the charter they were on cleaned and flash froze quite a bit of halibut and shipped it home for them. In the past we would hire a charter out of Hatteras and catch tuna and mahi and the crew would clean, filet and/or steak the fish and we would come back the day we were leaving and load the coolers to bring home.  For fishing excursions it would be awesome to be able to bring back part of the catch back to the ship and have it prepared for dinner. It would be eaten so not subject to customs. The balance would have to be shipped home OR  maybe sell it to offset the cost of the charter.  

Ref using life boats, are they not also used as tenders when the ship cant dock so in effect , being used for "other purposes" rather than that for which they were intended? I dont imagine engaging one or two whist in port, either moored or berthed would flout any H+S nor insurance laws, although granted, a purpose made charter boat would be a better option