Royal closing US call center and sending jobs away...

I guess just another  reason to find a good TA to use from here on out.....as Royal's website is terrible and now their call center service will be terrible..

700 jobs being set to Jamaica and Guatemala...and the irony of it  all is that many Royal employees from the US went to these countries to train some of the Royal employees..only to later learn that these people are essentially taking their jobs and leaving them unemployed. And Royal had originally stated they would be adding more jobs to this center.....

Royal is to make an announcement about this today...I hate when companies do that and try to not support companies that have done that here in Canada.

31 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

So you'll be switching to which cruise line moving forward?

haven't decided yet smartass......:34_rolling_eyes: And yes, I try to support local when I can....but within reason.

I no longer use their site due to problems and issues and wont use their call center any longer(not that I do now to be honest)

Hence why I said to get a good TA.....which I already have

while it sucks to see US call center jobs move to other countries, as someone who used to run a 3rd party Call Center for another industry, it's becoming more and more commonplace simply due to labor costs.  Royal isn't the first and they won't be the last.     On a funny note, it can be rather comedic at times.   At one point in time,  my old facility handled level 1 tech support for a major brand PC company HQ'd out of Austin  ?      All overseas agents had to attend  language desensitization classes to sound "more American" .   Since my facility was based in Texas those agents would use our texas "twang" as their ideal speaking voice.    So you would get someone obviously from Mumbai on the phone , trying to sound like John Wayne with the name of "George" trying to help US customers.    It was hilariously embarrassing.          

History tends to have a way of repeating.  Remember when most people would only buy American cars?  The big three automakers thought they could make junk and the American people would keep buying them, well now most people swear by Japanese or German automobiles.  Remember when, if you wanted electronics, you would only buy Sony if you wanted the best then they started making sub par items allowing Samsung to dethrone them.  Don't get me wrong, I love Royal Caribbean, I've been sailing with them since the early 80's and have been on most ships at least once, their ships continue to be amazingly innovative (exclusive of the Quantum class) but their continuous downgrading of customer service, lack of appreciation for long-time repeat passenger and the constant nickel and diming grows old after a while.  We sailed on the Adventure this past May (2018) and the Diamond concierge never had us listed as Diamond Plus, we never received any of the benefits and were never invited to any of the events, when we tried to bring it to his attention he said he'd look into it but did nothing.  Like I said we love Royal, and I do understand it's a business and the economics behind it (we actually sail basically for free on a few cruises each year using the dividends from our Royal stock) but little things like good customer service and recognition of loyal repeat customers goes a long way (many people would actually pay a premium for these things!).  So to answer your question HeWhoWaits, we've decided to try MSC, we booked on the new ship out of Miami, the Seaside.  MSC has a loyalty status match program where they'll actually match and reward us for our Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus status.  Will we be back to Royal?  Yes, but if they don't realize they aren't the only option for repeat guests (cruise lines bread and butter) they might just learn what many other companies have when they took their customer base for granted.          

3 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

This is so racist...

I can't understand someone isn't happy with jobs going away to another country but assuming the service is going to be terrible just because the employees are from Guatemala, Jamaica or another country is JUST RACIST.

What makes this racist?? Am I missing something?? I have to start handing out more Mimosa's  ??????? as they're too many people with their girdle bunched up!!   image.png.9a83decda8169682e6d2c63f244da70c.png

Anybody know if they are sending the C&A support overseas?   Personally, I've noticed a significant improvement in quality of service for bookings when calling into the C&A number instead of the "regular" number.  There have been several instances when I've found a good price on-line (say $500 each), but have a question or special request, so I call the booking line and "George" with a different accent tells me "all he can see is a $3200 each fare, please give me your credit card number".  I've learned to only call C&A.

13 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

This is so racist...

I can't understand someone isn't happy with jobs going away to another country but assuming the service is going to be terrible just because the employees are from Guatemala, Jamaica or another country is JUST RACIST.

Racist?  How?  Being Guatamalin or Jamaican IS NOT A RACE!!!  It's a Nationality and, perhaps, a Culture, but it is NOT a race...... That term is thrown around Waaay too often these days.

12 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Racist?  How?  Being Guatamalin or Jamaican IS NOT A RACE!!!  It's a Nationality and, perhaps, a Culture, but it is NOT a race...... That term is thrown around Waaay too often these days.

Ok, by your logic, Hoy would you call saying that someone is worst at any job (even without a proof) only for being born on another country different from yours? 

2 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Ok, by your logic, Hoy would you call saying that someone is worst at any job (even without a proof) only for being born on another country different from yours? 

By my logic, insulting, assuming..... but not racist......  My statement is not about implying a person's ability to do a job, it's about the correct definition of a word YOU are throwing out there....... If you're going to call a person racist, you better be able to back it up by the words own definition.

Because I want to support jobs in my own country and I think its terrible a company would use their own employees to train other employees to take their jobs away is racist.....nope, not even close. Or because I have a hard time hearing/understanding people who's mother tongue is not English I am racist? Nope, wrong again!

But its people like you that say these things and push these ideas and agenda's that has turned the US and the world into what it is today...

I am 100% ok knowing that someone from China would NOT want me to be working their call center trying to speak their language when they are calling for advice or help or upset...

Come on people..don't be so sensitive!!!!

Just now, monctonguy said:

Because I want to support jobs in my own country and I think its terrible a company would use their own employees to train other employees to take their jobs away is racist.....nope, not even close. Or because I have a hard time hearing/understanding people who's mother tongue is not English I am racist?

But its people like you that say these things and push these ideas and agenda's that ahs turned the US and the world into what it is today...

I am 100% ok knowing that someone from China would NOT want me to be working their call center trying to speak their language when they are calling for advice or help or upset...

Come on people..don't be so sensitive!!!!

Perfect ......  Thank You

3 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

Typical response from a racist in denial. 

FYI "Chalupas" and "La Cucaracha" aren't even from Guatemala... ?

Me? Racist? Antes de llamar a alguien racista, primero debe averiguar de dónde son. Todo esto es en broma. Además, para que sepas, soy español y puertorriqueño. (For my RC Blog friends - English translation: Before calling anyone racist, you should first find out where they are from. All of this is all in jest. In addition, so that you know, I'm Spaniard and Puerto Rican.) Just had to clear the air. Such a smell of pure "wrong". Mimosa's anyone? ???????

15 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Me? Racist? Antes de llamar a alguien racista, primero debe averiguar de dónde son. Todo esto es en broma. Además, para que sepas, soy español y puertorriqueño. (For my RC Blog friends - English translation: Before calling anyone racist, you should first find out where they are from. All of this is all in jest. In addition, so that you know, I'm Spaniard and Puerto Rican.) Just had to clear the air. Such a smell of pure "wrong". Mimosa's anyone? ???????

I'll accept the mimosa and will put this discussion to rest....

All we can do is hope for the best and expect the worst.  From experience, I have had sub-par service when dealing with RCL's off-hours CS that is offshore.  It was either they could not understand me or I could not understand them. 

When I call Bell Canada CS, I always ask to speak to the French-speaking department instead of their English-speaking offshore call center.

1 hour ago, jurrjurr said:

Was the US call center operated by a third party company? 

as i understand it, Royal call center in Oregon was contracted out to a company called  "Hospitality - One Touch" who also handles similar work for other cruiselines, hotels etc.     

9 minutes ago, Todd W said:

as i understand it, Royal call center in Oregon was contracted out to a company called  "Hospitality - One Touch" who also handles similar work for other cruiselines, hotels etc.     

So it seems like the company either lost the contract or transferring the operations with RCL's consent

1 hour ago, jurrjurr said:

Was the US call center operated by a third party company? 

16 minutes ago, Todd W said:

I thought it was operated by RC, hence the large "Royal Caribbean Cruises" sign outside.  Unless @Todd W means the staffing was mostly handed by a third party?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I thought it was operated by RC, hence the large "Royal Caribbean Cruises" sign outside.  Unless @Todd W means the staffing was mostly handed by a third party?

i could very well be wrong.   i did some digging around on the internets this morning and was basing my comments off of what i saw in that area.     The fact that they had RC signage makes me believe you're probably correct @Matt   but then again, I've been in multiple DELL call centers in the US and Canada in the past that had their branding and they were all staffed and managed by the Outsourcing company that i was working for at the time.       If i was to make a  swag on it,  I would think they own the building but had it managed and staffed by 3rd party representing Royal simply from a cost perspective.   

I googled cruise ships sales  jobs today and found multiple listing from “One Touch Hospitality.” They were recruiting for Norwegian and Celebrity. Obviously we know Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean so who knows? Could be that the building is owned by Royal and One Touch provided the workers or it could be that they just recruit for them and do the screening.

By the way I read today that Royal Caribbean is denying that they are laying off anybody. They stated they are moving jobs to Guatemala and Jamaica but wouldn’t saw how many and stated that jobs in Springfield would be elminating thru attrition 

53 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Did you listen to all of that? wait for the news caster to finish and you will hear another audio talk about the layoffs...unofficially.

I watched the whole clip at the bottom of the post, but saw nothing about the unofficial anything. 

Based on this report, it's quite clear the only jobs moving anywhere are jobs from folks that leave/retire.  No layoffs or anything of that nature.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I watched the whole clip at the bottom of the post, but saw nothing about the unofficial anything. 

Based on this report, it's quite clear the only jobs moving anywhere are jobs from folks that leave/retire.  No layoffs or anything of that nature.

Watch the top clip...wait for the News broadcast to finish and another will continue with the unofficial version from employees being told that if they say anything they will be terminated immediately.

11 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Watch the top clip...wait for the News broadcast to finish and another will continue with the unofficial version from employees being told that if they say anything they will be terminated immediately.

Any company that treats their loyal employees in this manner will not get my business no matter how much I love RCCL. If they treat their employees in this manner, imagine what they think about their "loyal" cruisers!!! ?