Leaving on a much needed cruise!

Boston Babe

Pinging @twangster or @monctonguy as I think you were the last on Celebrity.  What do they call their Internet and was it working ok?  Would Whatsapp work and if so do I still put my phone in airplane mode?  I'm trying to figure out best way to keep in touch with my dog sitter. thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Would Whatsapp work to keep in touch?  What a concept, they call it internet! LOL

Any of the text chat apps -- WhatsApp, Messages on iOS, Google Hangouts, etc. -- will all work normally as long as you have the internet connection. You will still want to put your phone in Airplane Mode, then re-enable wifi only (and Bluetooth if you use wireless headphones or a Fitbit or the like).

If your phone allows wifi calling, you can even make regular phone calls over the Internet connection without incurring any extra charges from your wireless carrier. Easy way to test from home is to put the phone in Airplane Mode, re-enable wifi, and try making a call; if it goes through, you're all set. If it doesn't, voice calls can also be made using WhatsApp, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, etc., as well as FaceTime on the iPhone / iPad.

4 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

If your phone allows wifi calling, you can even make regular phone calls over the Internet connection without incurring any extra charges from your wireless carrier. Easy way to test from home is to put the phone in Airplane Mode, re-enable wifi, and try making a call; if it goes through, you're all set. If it doesn't, voice calls can also be made using WhatsApp, Snapchat, Facebook Messenger, etc., as well as FaceTime on the iPhone / iPad.

thanks Joe! I'm printing this out! I'm such a dork, I still don't get all of this, Hence why no live Blog!!

I did my first solo cruise on the Summit to Bermuda in May 2018 and really enjoyed it.    I decided on Bermuda because I am very comfortable with the island.  My family spent many summers when I was in my late teens and 20's house and dog sitting for friends that lived in Bermuda (they would go home to England for holiday).  I just needed a last minute get away (I booked an inside room deck 11 45 days out) and since I live in the north Philly suburbs  no airfare required!  I thought I would feel a little out of place cruising solo but the ship is so laid back & relaxing.   It was an older crowd (50's and up) but that's what made it relaxing.  Not many kids.   I did get a little bored the second sea day.  Did MTD and the main dinning room staff were wonderful (I requested them for the rest of the cruise) .  I sat at my own table which was what I wanted but the tables are so close to each other that I could talk to other cruisers of I wanted to.  The ship is a little worn but very clean.  IMO the staff was the nicest & friendliest I have ever experience.  Café Al Bacio is a wonderful place to sit and get a latte or tea and one or more of their free pastry.  I was there in the morning and again late evening for my late night treat.  The shows were okay just something to do at night.  I am thinking of doing another solo cruise on the Summit in May 2019.  Can't wait to see all the upgrades.   

On 8/30/2018 at 12:13 PM, monctonguy said:

I didn't feel out of place at all on Celebrity...while there were defn less kids and there seemed to be less night activities I wouldn't say the  overall age demographic was much older than Royal. We met some great people both older and younger than us that we hung out with...I would do Celebrity again..its just a little quieter...but not enough to deter me from going again....defn not cause the crowd seemed too "old"

Agreed.  While the demographics can obviously vary a lot by sailing (esp time of year and itinerary) a big part of what shifts the average age older is the smaller number of children, not a greatly increased number of centenarians.

On 8/31/2018 at 8:11 AM, twangster said:

It was free for me on Millie.  I was getting ~5 Mbs down, 3 Mbps up.   However in Alaska it acted like satellite internet does in Alaska - spotty at times.   It worked like Grandeur more or less.  

They don't call it Voom or a catchy name like that.  It's pretty obvious, like "Internet".  

I think they call it “Xcelerate.” That’s what I saw on their website recently. I would think it’s the same technology as Voom.

I was looking to try X for a cruise to Alaska next year but ended up doing Ovation for the kids. Will probably transition to X or Princess in a few years once kids are gone. 

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I've been waiting all week to find out....How was it??

It was wonderful! I plan on a full review tonight or tomorrow!!  and I did a YOLO too last night! LOL Will tell you all about it.  Just so busy with work and Doctors and dogs! I need another vacation by myself!! LOL  How is School??? Thinking about you and @Sweety!

4 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

It was wonderful! I plan on a full review tonight or tomorrow!!  and I did a YOLO too last night! LOL Will tell you all about it.  Just so busy with work and Doctors and dogs! I need another vacation by myself!! LOL  How is School??? Thinking about you and @Sweety!

September is always the busiest for me.  It should be better in a few weeks.  I've been blessed with an awesome group of tweens/teens this year.