Is it bad to prefer Symphony over Harmony because of trivial reasons?

Joe01

Been off the SY for 6 weeks. I've thought from when I boarded the SY that she has that bit extra which Harmony just doesn't have. Playmaker's, El Loco Fresh, a new Starbucks, a Solarium Pool, Sugar Beach (although I never used it) and just a few other subtle changes which make the Symphony better than her sister.

Whilst I have had consistent experiences across the two ships and loved both, I can't help but feel that I would miss the subtle changes on SY if I did HM again. Is this petty?

I wouldn't even have an issue with going on Oasis or Allure again (there are a few things that I prefer on those two ships), but less so with Harmony. Despite this, I do feel that my reasons are trivial.

Edited by Joe01

Just now, SolariumSnoozer said:

No, definitely not.  It's your vacation you should make your decisions based upon what maximizes your enjoyment.

That makes sense. The changes on SY are definitely things that I preferred, hence why I would rate her higher.

You are allowed to pick things for trivial reasons.  You are even allowed to admit that (in fact, if someone asks you why you prefer one thing over another and you admit they are trivial reasons they will usually not try to sway you).

Some things should have good reasoning and logic behind the decision.  Picking the cruise ship you like shouldn't have to be one.  Just a personal example, I am a Walt Disney World fan and absolutely love the Contemporary Resort.  I see so many people on message boards complain that it isn't "Disney enough".  I disagree, but I don't try convincing them.  I see actual arguments over it, quite silly really.  Enjoy the ship you prefer on the line you prefer and don't feel guilty for having a favorite.

Nope, I don't think so. Same argument could be said with liking Oasis or Allure over Harmony or Symphony.

Right now me personally when it comes the Oasis class I still nudge a bit towards Oasis and Allure. Main reason is the amenities. Once I've sailed Symphony that might change. If Oasis and Allure change during the dry dock my views might change.

On paper alone, I like SY over HM. Think Playmakers is a better use of space. Not a taco, nacho, burrito, fan so El Loco Fresh is a wash. Seafood lover so I like the idea of Hooked, bonus points for it not being all things deep fried.

14 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Nope, I don't think so. Same argument could be said with liking Oasis or Allure over Harmony or Symphony.

Right now me personally when it comes the Oasis class I still nudge a bit towards Oasis and Allure. Main reason is the amenities. Once I've sailed Symphony that might change. If Oasis and Allure change during the dry dock my views might change.

On paper alone, I like SY over HM. Think Playmakers is a better use of space. Not a taco, nacho, burrito, fan so El Loco Fresh is a wash. Seafood lover so I like the idea of Hooked, bonus points for it not being all things deep fried.

I never used Hooked. It meant that we couldn't walk through the Solarium on the top deck, but I do think it is a good use of space which was fairly vacant on Harmony. 

Oasis & Allure are great for not having the Abyss, although the waterslides give Harmony and Symphony a bonus. Will be interested to see how OA & AL are changed in dry-dock.

Playmaker's is a great venue. When the new Boardwalk format was announced, I was skeptical but having sailed SY now, I think it works a lot better. The Wipeout Cafe and MiniBites provide no extra purpose and I think El Loco Fresh is a unique venue which sets SY apart (admittedly I have a soft spot for some Mexican food).

The question is - Would it be petty to say that I would not rush to do Harmony again just because of these differences?

Just now, Joe01 said:

The Wipeout Cafe and MiniBites provide no extra purpose and I think El Loco Fresh is a unique venue which sets SY apart (admittedly I have a soft spot for some Mexican food).

In my mind Wipeout Cafe and Mini Bites gave "sundeck people" a spot to grab a bite to eat without the "formality" of Windjammer. For a majority what was offered was sufficient. I do agree El Loco Fresh is unique.

Not sure what the breakfast selection is at El Loco Fresh, but one nice thing about Wipeout Cafe and Mini Bites was a much less crowded area to grab some food in the morning.

It's your money, spend it how ever you like.  Symphony costs more.  You are paying for those new features.  If that 'floats your boat ship' then go for it.

I'm hoping they don't add Abyss to Oasis or Allure.  It ruins a big perk of Boardwalk balconies - the aft view.  Water slides would be nice.  Bionic bar is a waste of space for a gimmick.

I've got a Symphony TA booking and I've got the Oasis TA booked.  Both in Boardwalk balconies.  I'm looking forward to Oasis more for the views. It's also $1k cheaper and 2 nights longer.

I'm sure I'll love Symphony as much or more than I love Harmony but dollar for dollar Oasis and Allure are better value.  Time will tell if they drop Harmony rates now that she isn't the newest ship.  

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm hoping they don't add Abyss to Oasis or Allure.  It ruins a big perk of Boardwalk balconies - the aft view.  Water slides would be nice.  Bionic bar is a waste of space for a gimmick.

I can definitely agree with that. I had a Boardwalk Balcony with an AquaTheater view on Symphony and the Abyss blocked some of the view of the AquaTheater. 

a lot of people will choose a ship for the ports of call not whether it has a waterslide or aqua theatre, also if every ship was the same then it would be boring, the fact that there are various sizes of ships each with differing attractions onboard means they cater for everyone, you choose the ship appeals to you, because at the end of the day it's you thats paying for it. if you like a ship you go back if it's not to your liking then you dont do it again, simple. 

2 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Quoted for the truth! Long live the Champagne Bar!

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I had a drink package on Anthem and never used the Bionic bar.  I did use it once on Harmony.  Once was enough. 

Bring back the Champagne Bar!

+1 more here!  I have never used the Bionic bar either, even with the drink package.

Not used either the Bionic Bar or Champagne Bar. I'm not a drinker so couldn't care less about what is in that space. 

I sort of want to return to Oasis and Allure, which is weird as they are older than Harmony. Miss them both.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Not used either the Bionic Bar or Champagne Bar. I'm not a drinker so couldn't care less about what is in that space. 

I like the Champagne Bar mainly due to it is a comfortable place and tends to be quite. Even when bar service isn't available I'll sit and people watch. Plus something about sitting on one of the couches and listening to the water under Rising Tide. In a way it reminds me of the Suite Lounge without a view.

Side topic like the bar setup in the Suite Lounge on Oasis and Allure better. Nice sitting at the bar and being able to directly look out over the pool deck.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I had a drink package on Anthem and never used the Bionic bar.  I did use it once on Harmony.  Once was enough. 

Bring back the Champagne Bar!

Agreed. We ordered 1 drink at the bionic bar when we first were on Harmony.  Once was enough.  Horrible drink. What a waste of prime real estate.