NCL vs RCI

whitsmom

As you guys know, we have our 1st NCL (Gateway Nov 2019) cruise booked (son-in-law booked this for our family vacation).  We did get a good deal $3374.85 for 3 people in a Spa Mini Suite and only had to pay $1 per person deposit.  Now that my Alaska cruise is done, I am looking to start paying for this one.  I was looking at the UBP pricing:  $89/day and this DOES NOT include bottled water or specialty coffees.  Then I looked at the Soda package and it is $7.95/day (not bad price) but they have only Pepsi products.  There is no way hubby and I can get our monies with at $747.60.  They don't have a refreshment package either.  I guess our drink package money will go onto excursions.

I do like the idea of having a big bathroom with a big walk in shower and 2 sinks.  I like the destinations as 3 of the 4 are new to us and we have never sailed out of New Orleans either.  I'm sure we will have fun to matter what as we are going with our daughter, son-in-law and 4 grands. 

11 minutes ago, KLA said:

$89 a DAY!??!?!?! NOOOPE. 

You will not hear me complaining about RCL drink package pricing anytime soon. 

This is why NCL continuously offers the "Pick 2/3/4" promo and includes the beverage package, so the price of it is buried for all but those who don't choose it as one of their promo options.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

This is why NCL continuously offers the "Pick 2/3/4" promo and includes the beverage package, so the price of it is buried for all but those who don't choose it as one of their promo options.

Thaaaaat makes more sense then... so then it REALLY feels like the consumer is getting a deal.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Exactly!  We can change our specialty dining for the UBP but you will have to pay the gratuity on $623 per person which is $124.60 per person.  I think we will just pay as we go as I doubt we will spend over $249.20 between the two of us anyway.

Just now, KLA said:

Thaaaaat makes more sense then... so then it REALLY feels like the consumer is getting a deal.

Bingo! Especially if the person combines it with the offered specialty dining package (the only other real value proposition I see in those offers).

Just now, whitsmom said:

Exactly!  We can change our specialty dining for the UBP but you will have to pay the gratuity on $623 per person which is $124.60 per person.  I think we will just pay as we go as I doubt we will spend over $249.20 between the two of us anyway.

Be aware, per the latest podcast episode, not all venues are covered by the dining package. I forget which of Matt's guests had said this, but they originally wanted to go to one specialty dining venue that include a Cirque du Soleil style acrobatics show during the meal, and it was not included in the package at all. They would have had to pay full price, not even a discounted rate for having the package. So check those options in advance to be sure you don't have any disappointments or sticker shocks on board.

Except with the "free" drink package you still pay a hefty service charge.

Plus the 'free' internet is 250 minutes.  You have to log in, check everything quickly and logout.  

i recently price shopped a December cruise.  The advertised $499 inside guarantee cabin rate doesn't include anything 'free'.  To qualify for a 'free' perk you have to step up to an inside guarantee cabin @ $669.    So $170 more per person to get something for free in the same inside guarantee cabin.  But wait, there is a $356 "Choice promo Srvg Chrg" added to that.  

So the "free" drink package really cost $170 x 2 plus $356 for a total of $696.  

For those people who hate misleading advertising NCL must drive them nuts.

39 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Bingo! Especially if the person combines it with the offered specialty dining package (the only other real value proposition I see in those offers).

Be aware, per the latest podcast episode, not all venues are covered by the dining package. I forget which of Matt's guests had said this, but they originally wanted to go to one specialty dining venue that include a Cirque du Soleil style acrobatics show during the meal, and it was not included in the package at all. They would have had to pay full price, not even a discounted rate for having the package. So check those options in advance to be sure you don't have any disappointments or sticker shocks on board.

Oh wow!  I guess this will be my one and only with NCL.  I am a little OCD when it comes to stuff.  I like to pick my seat for flying and I like to have the same table at dinner during a cruise.  Apparently, there isn't a traditional dining anything with NCL.  I am NOT a  "fly by the seat of your pants" type of girl; however, I will be on this cruise ?

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Plus the 'free' internet is 250 minutes.  You have to log in, check everything quickly and logout.  

i recently price shopped a December cruise.  The advertised $499 inside guarantee cabin rate doesn't include anything 'free'.  To qualify for a 'free' perk you have to step up to an inside guarantee cabin @ $669.    So $170 more per person to get something for free in the same inside guarantee cabin.  But wait, there is a $356 "Choice promo Srvg Chrg" added to that.  

That is exactly what happened to my son-in-law!  It all sounds good until you start seeing the "fine" print!  Planning a cruise is supposed to be fun and relaxing instead of being full of STRESS!  I may need to plan a RCI cruise before and after the NCL one! ?

I went on NCL two straight years.  What appealed to me the most was the Beverage Package...$99 for the entire 7 day cruise.  Just wait it out, they'll run that special soon.  Just keep checking.  Yes that was for the UBP...$99.00 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

My thoughts exactly. When we were dipping our toes into the waters of booking a cruise vacation, I had been attracted to the Free At Sea promotions that NCL offered. However, as soon as I started digging into their site and saw the promotional service charges I was really turned off by NCL. I understand that nothing is "free" and that ultimately this is a business but their promotional strategies are a big turn off for me. I would rather book RCL which in my opinion, is more transparent about their costs.

41 minutes ago, Vic said:

I went on NCL two straight years.  What appealed to me the most was the Beverage Package...$99 for the entire 7 day cruise.  Just wait it out, they'll run that special soon.  Just keep checking.  Yes that was for the UBP...$99.00 

What was the service charge on that?

Taxes are higher on NCL.

Cruise on Sky to Nassau and Great Stirrup Key.  Base fare $259 pp, 4 nights, taxes are $262

Same week.  Cruise Mariner to Nassau and CocoCay.  Base fare $248 pp, 4 nights, taxes are $166

Same week.  Cruise Enchantment to Nassau and CocoCay.  Base fare $ 267, 4 nights, taxes are $166.

Great Stirrup Key is literally right beside CocoCay.  

Perhaps that free drink package on Sky isn't so free.

1 hour ago, Vic said:

Now my mission will be to keep checking for this...There is hope on the horizon ?